Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

UI Freezes With 10.1.0.273

Ever since I upgraded to 10.1.0.273, I've had the device freeze (not reboot) several times. All times have been while using Whatsapp. What happens is the UI/screen freezes and can't do anything; can't minimise, can't go back, can't exit the app, etc.

The OS itself still works underneath though. Pressing the volume +/- will take a screen capture (and you can hear the camera sound of the screen capture), the phone will ring during a phone call, but I cannot answer or do anything. The only way to fix it is to hold the power button down for 10 seconds to reboot the device.

I reloaded the OS and this happened again. I would assume that if Whatsapp freezes, then only that app should freeze and I should be able to exit. But, since I'm using Whatsapp through the Hub, then is it possible for the app to cause the UI to freeze up?

I was not having this problem with 10.0.10

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: UI Freezes With 10.1.0.273

Hi sk8er_tor,

Sorry to hear you're having an issue with your device.

Does the freezing occur once you open WhatsApp or after you start using it?

What's your WhatsApp version? If you delete it, does your device still experiencing this freezing? 

If you were to access WhatsApp from the app itself and not from the Hub, does this same freezing happen?

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi hmthepirate,

The UI freezes only when using Whatsapp through the Hub. Using BBM, email, etc has never caused this to happen. Also, I'm not the only one having this problem. There are others reporting this on CrackBerry.

Here's how the freezing normally happens:

I go into the Hub. I click on an existing Whatsapp message. It launches. I click on the text field to start typing my message. The keyboard comes up and now everything is frozen. You can't type. You can't minimize. You can't reset the Hub with the 5-swipe gesture. You can't do anything. The underlying OS continues to function because I can take a screen capture, I will receive further Whatsapp messages (although they don't appear on the screen), the LED will blink etc. but I cannot do anything. I am forced to hold down the power button for 10 seconds for the phone to reboot.

I assume the Hub itself is freezing or that Whatsapp is causing some problem with the UI because like I said above, when the freezing occurs, the phone still receives Whatsapp messages because I can hear the notification tone and the LED lights up even while the screen/UI is frozen. After I reboot, the phone shows the new Whatsapp messages.

I've never had this problem when access Whatsapp directly through the app; only happens when accessing through the Hub and it only started to happen when I upgraded to BB OS 10.1. Please note that I also wiped my device and reloaded the OS and continue to have this problem.

Retired

We would like to analyse device logs on this issue.

Contact your mobile service provider's technical team and ask for a support ticket be opened with BlackBerry support.

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

Developer
My Device: Z10, Bold 9900
My Carrier: Smartone

I have exactly the same issue with Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.1720. I have just upgraded to whatsapp at 20.10.8200.1, but the issue remains. It happens roughly twice a day and this is quite a severe issue I am afraid.
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are also others having this same problem.

I'd love to send you my log files but I won't be calling the carrier; it takes way too long to call and get someone to answer. If there's any way to bypass the carrier, let me know.

Developer
My Device: Z10, Bold 9900
My Carrier: Smartone

In addition, the share to whatsapp item doesn't always appear or takes a long while to appear from the browser. Instead a blank space appears. Thanks.
Retired

sk8er_tor wrote:

There are also others having this same problem.

I'd love to send you my log files but I won't be calling the carrier; it takes way too long to call and get someone to answer. If there's any way to bypass the carrier, let me know.

You can call BlackBerry support directly but there is an incident based fee (for more info click here)

Your mobile carrier can open a ticket for you saving you the fee.

-HMthePirate