Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Verizon Unlimited Data & Mobile Broadband carryover

I am a Verizon customer.

I converted to Z10 from Torch 9850.

With my 9850 I had unlimited data & broadband (hotspot & tethering) for $15.

My understanding was if you bought your own Z10 (not part of the plan discount) you would retain the unlimited perk.

Verizon now informs me that this is limited to data only and not broadband.

Anyone have a similar experienced or am I getting shafted.

Contributor

Re: Verizon Unlimited Data & Mobile Broadband carryover

Just so I understand.  Is your difference between data and broadband meaning that your phone is running as a hotspot?

Contributor

What I found out is that on the 9850 Verizon classified data as email + browsing + tethering (including hotspot).

I was told (not sure whether to believe it or not) that on the 9850 Blackberry covered half the cost of data and Verizon the other half as a promotion for this phone. I was also told the Z10 hardware used separate radios for email/browsing and tethering/hotspot. I am not sure how much of this was true and how much BS. In moving to the Z10 Verizon was willing (with a lot of arm twisting) to grandfather unlimited data defined as email + browsing. However tethering (including hotspot) would require an additional $30 for unlimited tethering/hotspot. As an FYI I finally moved to the Z10 in order to use BBM video calling while I was out of the country. Bought my wife a Q10 and we do instant video calling when I am out of the country. Absolutely a worthy feature.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z10-STL100-4

I got to keep my unlimited data too?
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY, LINGERS LONG AFTER THE CHEAPNESS OF PRICE, IS SOON FORGOTTEN.
Contributor

Are yo saying you did or are you asking if you can?

I did get to keep unlimited email & browsing. However, I had to pay extra for tethering/hotspot.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z10-STL100-4

Yes I was told I had to go to 2GB but they left the unlimited data.
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY, LINGERS LONG AFTER THE CHEAPNESS OF PRICE, IS SOON FORGOTTEN.
Contributor

So are you using Skype for your video conferencing with the wife or some other tool?

AlaBerry wrote:

What I found out is that on the 9850 Verizon classified data as email + browsing + tethering (including hotspot).

I was told (not sure whether to believe it or not) that on the 9850 Blackberry covered half the cost of data and Verizon the other half as a promotion for this phone. I was also told the Z10 hardware used separate radios for email/browsing and tethering/hotspot. I am not sure how much of this was true and how much BS. In moving to the Z10 Verizon was willing (with a lot of arm twisting) to grandfather unlimited data defined as email + browsing. However tethering (including hotspot) would require an additional $30 for unlimited tethering/hotspot. As an FYI I finally moved to the Z10 in order to use BBM video calling while I was out of the country. Bought my wife a Q10 and we do instant video calling when I am out of the country. Absolutely a worthy feature.

Contributor

I am using Blackberry Messenger.

On Z10 & Q10 BBM supports text, voicel, & video.

I use a wireless connection when in foreign country. Video is instant and flawless. My wifes connection has been thru wireless and via Verizon. If she is not on wireless the Verizon signal needs to be fairly strong or video gets jumpy or fails. Voice may work in those conditions. Text always does.

I also have Skype on the Z10 with World Calling ($13.99/mo). I have also called her that way. Aslo use it for calling several countries when I am out of country. Works great on Z10.

NOTE: Whenever I am using BBM on video I am on wireless. In the US we just call.

Contributor

I've only used Skype's free service, meaning only talking to other Skype users.  Don't really have a lot of people on BBM.

Well, thanks for the info.

Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Alaberry, it sounds like to me they dud grandfather in your old data plan & added the legacy tethering plan.

The new data plans include hot spot usage and all data. But, they are capped st 2, 4, 6GB etc per month.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code