Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
biznessninja
My Device: Current: Z10 / Previous: Bold 9900, 9000, 8700

WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE APN SETTINGS !!!

Hello Blackberry, many of us here in north america and around the world are suffering from the fact that you have encoded blackberry 10 to take its apn right from the sim and not give us the ability to change the apn.  this is unacceptable.

you show the apn settings but it is grayed out and will not accept a change.

being able to change the apn is vital to travelling and having a personal choice on provider for data etc.

every phone (other than the new blackberry) has customizable apn settings.  blackberry is supposed to be a business leader, that is why I use blackberry, so i cannot understand why this desicion was made on BB10.

I travel for buiness 50% of my time out of my country.  

From everything i have been reading for the last week people are very upset that the apn is not able to be changed by the user if needed on an unlocked phone.

I ask you to please update this unfortunate oversight as soon as possible in your next BB10 software update.

signed: EVERYONE THAT BOUGHTA NEW BLACKERRY 10

New Contributor
jvoisin
My Device: Z10

Re: WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE APN SETTINGS !!!

This appears to be a global setting for all of the North American Z10's.  Quite unfortunate as it may result in the need to switch back to the Galaxy S3 as roaming agreements that Rogers has with AT&T are horrible... I use a Roam Mobility SIM and without the ability to change the APN to the right value, this is of no use.  I refuse to carry and maintain two phones... 

Phones for the UK don't have this APN setting locked.  My Z10 is unlocked (Rogers was paid to unlock it) and was bought outright not on contract (in my mind, that should have resulted in them sending an already unlocked phone!)

It's bad enough that we have little to no competition in Canada, but now it seems that the Big 3 telcos are telling Blackberry what to do and they are obeying.  

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

Is it very expensive to buy a SIM card for each of the areas where you are going to travel?

Jerry G.
New Contributor
jvoisin

Not at all, I use Roam Mobility.  20 bucks for the Micro SIM and they have daily, weekly and monthly plans.

the 7 day plan is something like 27 dollars including unlimited talk and text to canada/usa and something like 100Mb data per day..  I am heading to Virginia shortly and need to keep my phone on while I am away but don't want a 1200 dollar phone bill when I get home.. 

APN lockdown will impact data only.. voice will still work.. but I just think it's really frustrating.  I can understand a rogers SIM being locked to rogers APN settings if rogers asks for it.. but if a SIM is put in that is not known or APN is blank, don't lock the field.. bleh.

jerryg50 wrote:

Is it very expensive to buy a SIM card for each of the areas where you are going to travel?

New Developer
marc25v
My Device: Blackberry Dev Alpha

I'M with you on this one. Give people a choice. Prepopulate, but let us change it!
Contributor
ErnieL222

Saw this and tried to access my APN and it us not locked. Hmmmm
New Contributor
jvoisin

Spoke with a friend at blackberry and he posed a question to one of the directors.  he can confirm that APN lock is something that is being done by the canadian carriers.  North american phones are set to use only the APN being presented by the SIM card itself.. so when bell pushes blackberry.net as the APN, the user can't change it to get around the need to have a BIS account...

I went to the states and had to break out my Galaxy S3.. the travel sim I have is actually a white-label t-mobile sim with a 3rd party data package.. the phone gets the APN from the SIM and I couldn't change it as required to get data services.. so had to leave the Z10 in canada...

Not a good solution.. This is quite dissapointing as I paid to have the phone unlocked.. it should be fully unlocked!

New Contributor
Snegov1k
My Device: bb 9900

APN settings gray in the case of your service agreement with no BB.
For example, my provider in Russia - Beeline, has a contract that provides a service BIS. When I put his sim card, I have in the office, however, Beeline Kazakhstan (other countries), such an agreement does not have, and as a consequence, by changing the sim card in Kazakh - I lose the ability to edit the settings APN.