Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: ok

WebBrowser Font size wrong - many pages are not usable - how to force a minimum Font size ?

[ Edited ]

Mobile Pages or Pages which have a good mobile alternative most times render ok, and, are readable. However most of the pages I visit are renderend unreadble - the font which is used for display is not scaled correct to match the 365ppi resolution - instead, it looks like the Designers of the Z10 always used a PC or the Playbook.

This would be easy fixiable by enbling a custom stylesheet (this AFAIK is not user-accessible even if Webkit does  support this feature) or by a setting where I could specify a minimum font size in the settings of the browser - not present, or, I did not find it.

I already started a post about this in the blackberryforums.com Forum here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-z10-series-discussion-blackberry-10/263478-bb10-browser-forc...

But, since RIM most likely does not read the blackberryforums.com site, I decided to post here a similar thread.

Attached two screenshots which compare the Z10 Browser rendering using the blackberryforums.com site as an example compared to the rendering of the 9700 (downsized to 96ppi):

mobile version (left: Z10, right: 9700)

mobile-browser-bb10-9700.jpg

Desktop version (left: Z10, right: 9700):

Desktop-browser-bb10-9700.jpg

Depending on someones age this might be a problem, or  not, but adding an option to force a minimum font size would make the Z10 much more usable for a portion of all users, and, would not hurt the others.

I simply cannot use the device if there is no fix for this problem, regardless what other features it might have.

This also applies to the font used for rendering emails. Plain text mails are ok -they use the system font, but if the sender uses html, some mails might be hard to read. 

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: WebBrowser Font size wrong - many pages are not usable - how to force a minimum Font size ?

Yep, the "Font Size" option under Setup / Display is certainly not what it should be.

Perhaps Menu or Fixed Font size would be more accurate.

This problem extends to much of the device; the Browser, e-mails and the lock screen.  Lock screen certainly looks like it was thrown together.

My Carrier: Verizon

Re: WebBrowser Font size wrong - many pages are not usable - how to force a minimum Font size ?

From what I have been able to investigate, it does not appear that the Z10 will force a minimum text size. This is a real problem for anyone who does not have excellent vision and is definately a deal breaker for business phone whose primary users are over 35 years old.

Is it possible that Blackberry failed to see that rendering text in consistent and readable formats was missed or do they just feel that bells and whistles are more important than the functionality of a business smart phone?

Why Blackberry? We have been patiently waiting to continue our support of your failing company and the most basic function is overlooked.

Even this support forum supports a minimum renderable text and HTML.  They have lost another long-time, faithful defender of thier phones. Very dissapointing.

My Carrier: AT&T

It sucks.  I wanted to like this phone.  My iPhone handles this with such clarity.  I don't want to use the phone as it is to hard to read emails.