Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
crawlgsx
My Device: Z10

Welcome Z10 to AT&T - Gmail Help!

[ Edited ]

I purchased the Z10 about 3 hours ago and I can't for the life of me get it to properly sync Gmail or Google Contacts.

With contacts I can't get it to sync AT ALL. 

With Email if I go the regular route of adding an account by email, it DOES receive email but it does not "sync" properly. For example if I delete an email I can check my email on my desktop 15 minutes later and the email is still in my inbox. It is also very delayed. 

I have been researching this for the last 2 hours and I cant get it to work at all. I tried m.google.com under advanced with 443 and it wont contact the server at all. 

This IS a dealbreaker for me if I can't get my contacts. I am not retyping in all of my contacts in to the phone, this is 2013! 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gosubtle
My Device: Z10 + Playbook

Re: Welcome Z10 to AT&T - Gmail Help!

Hello Crawlgsx,

I'm an AT&T customer with a z10 as well.  You need to just do simple add account and enter the gmail address in directly.  I was able to test an email off my exchange server to both email and gmail and the gmail was only about 1 second slower.  You may need to make sure it's using ssl which might be disabled for some reason by default.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
crawlgsx

[ Edited ]

Hrm.. I have tried removing and readding it 3 times, rebooting the phone, waiting. still no contacts :smileysad:

Also if you add it by email then go to the account there are no options for changing SSL or anything (No advanced)

That only comes up if you add the account by Gmail or whatever. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gosubtle

Try clicking on add account

Select: email, calendar and contacts

Hide keyboard in next screen

Select Advanced

Select Gmail (in middle)

Enter information up to Server Address (verify it's imap.gmail.com)

Verify port is 993

Verify Encryption is SSL

SMTP Port/Server:

smtp.gmail.com/465

SMTP Enc: SSL

Sync Interval 30 min (this is not push time fyi)

Initial Retrivea amount (7 days)

Let me know if that helps.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
crawlgsx

[ Edited ]

Well... I'll be a son of *insert choice word*. I decided to try it one more time and BAM my contacts appeared. Makes no sense but I will take it. Just added it by email no settings or anything. 

The delay in deleting a message to the server does bother me, did you try that?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gosubtle

[ Edited ]

I believe that's where you can change your sync to a lower amount.  I believe deleting on device then waits for the sync (which is default to 30 minutes) to do the deletion.

And yes, I am seeing a delay on the deletion.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
crawlgsx

Awesome thanks for the info and support. you inspired me to try again! :smileyhappy:

So far digging the phone too, nice seeing most of the apps I care about are already available, some really surprised me. 

Firstclass for example (used a lot in education for email). Took them YEARS to bring it to Android, and it is already on BB OS10. Of coures I am sure it is just an Android port, but still, nice to have it right off. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gosubtle

It's no problem at all.  I'm a BB developer (follow @gosubtle if interested). 

Also keep in mind, if you have a ton of text messages, they take about an hour or so to load once you use Blackberry Link to show up properly.  You will think that you are missing messages but it takes a long time to load.  I mistakenly thought it was an issue with the final release version but it's just the way it works.

Please use plain text.