Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
DVader
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: What is OTHER DATA on Blackberry Z10?????

John_Clark wrote:

iOS doesn't even allow an SD card!  And we give BB a hard time....smfh

I bet Apple has some sort of "known issues" list where issues like this are documented verbosely and we aren't depending on word of mouth from people that just seem to be speculating.  Been searching for answers on Other Data since March, no one ever offers solid info from a source they can cite.  It all just purely sounds like speculation to me and this is an area where BlackBerry should be verbose and explain what the hell it is on my phone.  Some of us work in areas of high security so not knowing what data is on my phone isn't good.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
DVader
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

Oops dupe post.  Please delete this! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

DVader wrote:

JSanders wrote:

The "Other data" will include the OS, apps data (calendar, email, Remember, games saved data, misc apps saved data, BlackBerry Maps data like Fav Places, etc., and so on.).

Why is Application Data labeled OTHER Data?   Why can't I remove it?  Why is that Data appearing on my SD card AND my local storage?

So far you haven't given any more inforamtion on this than anyone else. 

Can someone who is a developer or a BlackBerry employee please provide a verbose reason for this data, what the data is and why isn't it user removeable without going through some long winded processes?

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW -- PLEASE DON'T RESPOND, there are already plenty of posts of people speculating what the data is.  I am not interested in theories I am trying to find out what this data is exactly.

Just relax and enjoy the phone.  If you read the text at the top of every page you'll see this a peer to peer forum and not a place where BB makes official announcments.  While they do comment occassionally, it is rare. 

You've been given the best answers available.  You're free to wait for additional information if you want but excoriating those trying to help you doesn't help anyone. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

DVader, seems your own posts in this thread are the few which are unhelpful and not adding any knowledge to the topic.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

DVader wrote:

Xandrex wrote:

Donsync

That being said:

BlackBerry 10 allows developers to install an app on the device memory, and let all additional data be stored on the SDCard. examples where it can be useful:

• a mapping app can store the local map data on the SDcard
  • a streaming app can store the temporary cache data on the SDcard
  • a game can store the info of a given level on the SDcard

Unfortunately, developers rarely use that possibility, and prefer to store everything on the device memory.

I do not know what are the technical reasons for BlackBerry 10 to not allow apps to be installed on an SDCard. I wish I knew, and I hope BlackBerry is currently working on enabling installation on SDcards.

That being said, about the OS, indeed you need to free some space to install the OS. I don't see anything wrong with that, it is the same for MacOS upgrades and Windows Updates.

• The space required is around 1GB as far as I remember.
  • You may indeed have to delete an app prior to doing the upgrade then reinstall it (simply choose the biggest one !), I have noticed that the time lost doing that is quite small compared to the time of the entire OS upgrade, so yes it is a nuisance, but really not worth mentionning.

See these answers do not help

see, I was not replying to you and do not care how you judge my posts.

DVader wrote:
Does anyone have white papers that discuss this issue in detail or is everything about this kind of word of mouth with no one from BlackBerry taking any responsibility?

I have been looking for answers about this since March and it's always someone telling someone else what it is never someone proving a link to BlackBerry documentation that actually describes this issue and what you can do to reemedy it short of wiping your freaking phone!

Is that really too much to ask of BlackBerry?

well, if you are concerned about security, buy a BES server. Then you can ask your BlackBerry direct contact, he/she will gladly provide information about any security question you may ask.

Until then, the least you can do is read the terms&conditions that you agreed when you registered on the present forum. This is a community forum, and BlackBerry employee will not post except in rare occasions. In other words here the contributors here are BlackBerry owners just like you, who spend part of their leisure time trying to help people.

Your attitude is shocking, even on a forum.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
illwill718
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-mobile

I had this same issue for months and i finally figured out where my other data was coming from. In my case it was PODCAST. I discovered this after reformatting my SD card to clear up space. I copied all of my music, video and pic files to my external drive then reformatted my SD card. As an experiement i didnt put back my media files but started listening to a few podcast for a few days, long behold when i loooked in Media Card Details (in Storage and Access) my music, video docs, and pictures remained at zero while other data had grown to 400 mb in two days. Even after deleting the podcast thru the app the other data still remained. the only way to remove it is to refomat the SD card again. Iguess that streaming apps such as Apollo and Songza store files as well.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

That's good information for others with this question to look for. I know I have a friend who downloads many podcasts and the files are HUGE.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

I'm not sure I understand.
does this mean that the OTHER DATA takes into account files that are on the SDcard ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
illwill718
My Carrier: T-mobile

Xandrex wrote:
I'm not sure I understand.
does this mean that the OTHER DATA takes into account files that are on the SDcard ?

Yes and no. Remeber there are to sections of "other data" one for the phones internal memory and one for the SD card. So it depends on which one you're trying to clear up. Most apps automatically save data on the sd card once one is inserted. Other data can also be filled up with cache from your browser (pics, youtube videos, temp files etc) so be sure to clear the cache and history of your browser.

Please use plain text.
Developer
marioi
My Carrier: Vodacom

[ Edited ]

I can't believe that this lengthy discussion is taking place on the BlackBerry forum and none of the techs have resolving input to give on the subject.

I am trying to upgrade my OS to 10.2, my carrier released yestarday, and I have deleted apps, moved pics, vids etc. to my pc and yet the "other data" does not budge as much as needed.

Mine is sitting at 14.9 GB and I cannot install OS 10.2. It tells me to free up space, but how do I get to this "other data"!!

If I reload my 10.1 OS to clear the phone, I will lose at least one valuable app called "Tapatalk" which has subsequently been removed from app world...arrrrrgh

Any techies know how to resolve this?

Please use plain text.