Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
AWB70UK
My Device: Z10 & 9800 & 32gig Playbook
My Carrier: o2
Accepted Solution

Which Blackberry ID

[ Edited ]

Just taken delivery of my new Z10. My current phone is a 9800 which I intend to still use on occasion. IE working on site or away on holiday where it has the potential to be broke or stolen. I have seen variuos things saying that the new phone will need to have a new BBID associated with it and other information on Blackberries sites saying that you can use the same BBID on mulitple devices.

Can anyone confirm which I would need to do when setting up my new phone and any problems that may arise from using one ID on both a BB10 and BB6 OS phone?

I'm also aware that BB intend not to use BIS on the BB10 platform so which features on my 9800 will I lose when I switch over to the Z10 if I were to use the same Sim in the old phone?

Regards

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DAC364
My Device: Blackberry Z10 & 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Which Blackberry ID

You only need one Blackberry ID

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,881
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You can use the same BlackBerryID on both. I am, currently.

The main drawback will that your BBMessenger will have to be used on one device or the other, not both at the same time... email and apps are ok.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AWB70UK

Thanks to you both, I feel like I'm finally making some headway here after many conflicting reports. Good to hear from people who are using 2 devices! So, if I use the same BBID on both devices and I switch my sim from one to the other emails will automatically be swapped over to the correct device and I can do that as many times as I want? Have you tried this? That is what I currently do with my 9800 and 8520. BBM is not a problem to me as I will only be using one device at a time. I just set the other BBM account on the device I'm not using to "unavailable on other account" so people know which phone I am using.

What is the outcome for pre 10 devices if RIM are stopping using BIS? Surely some of the features of the phone will no longer work when BIS stops. Reason I ask is because even though I haven't set up my Z10 yet my carrier must have changed my sim over to non BIS data plan assuming I would no longer need it with the Z10 and my 9800 BBM and email stopped working. They have now put me back on BIS but fear they may switch it off again when they see I am now using the Z10.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yes, you can do exactly that... you won't set the BBM as you say, it will just be unusable on the device in which the BBID for the BBM is not logged in. Same with email.

BIS is not dead. RIM/BlackBerry has no plans to stop supporting BBOS5, 6, 7 at this point.

You may need to stay on top of your carrier to keep your BIS plan on your account, or to flag your account to not remove it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AWB70UK

Thanks Joey you've taken a lot off my mind! I didn't even want to start the Z10 up in case it needed to go back. I have a small business and instant email is imperative to me as is the ability to switch phones when necessary. I spend 40% of my time in the office and on the move and the rest doing construction work on site so I don't really like having my brand new phone on site with me preferring to downgrade my last phone to site work. (very partial to breaking phones) I've been a Blackberry user for many years and didn't want to have to switch to the dark side! Perhaps my worry came about because of my carrier switching off the BIS. I WILL need to keep on top of them!

Which brings me to another point, if BB users have the ability to stay on BIS why is there such an uproar from business users who don't think they can keep BIS? Many of the topics I have read that put doubt in my mind come from disgruntled users who say they can't do without it even though from a RIM/BB business point of view I can see the advantage and from a security of email point of view I don't believe anything has been lost!

I now need to work out how to keep my contacts synced with outlook as I also hear that syncing is not an option (yet) with BB10. At least I can maybe sync the phones then use DM and the 9800 to sync with outlook.

I look forward to your reply.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

AWB70UK wrote:

Which brings me to another point, if BB users have the ability to stay on BIS why is there such an uproar from business users who don't think they can keep BIS? Many of the topics I have read that put doubt in my mind come from disgruntled users who say they can't do without it even though from a RIM/BB business point of view I can see the advantage and from a security of email point of view I don't believe anything has been lost!

The Z10 works on ActiveSync technology. Right now, two of my email accounts are getting instant mail delivery, one is not (and it formerly did). I am trying to work out those issues.

AWB70UK wrote:

I now need to work out how to keep my contacts synced with outlook as I also hear that syncing is not an option (yet) with BB10. At least I can maybe sync the phones then use DM and the 9800 to sync with outlook.

This process:  http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2013/02/how-to-setup-outlook-to-wirelessly-synchronize-your-contacts-...

...does work to a certain extent, it is not foolproof yet. I am in a similar small biz situation as yourself, and the above work around is not an end-all solution. For instance, right now, I have two calendar on my device, I don't like that, but I can deal with it later. I can't reply to calendar invites from my private email domain, only from the outlook.com address.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AWB70UK

Excuse my ignorance being a total novice. But is there no way of syncing my 9800 with my Z10 then using the 9800 to sync with outlook as I have always done? Another thing I was thinking is there no app available where you could export your contacts etc as a file that can be imported into outlook? I'm sure I have seen something like this in BB World.

Looking at the other posts regarding this matter by a lot more knowledgeable people it seems far too obvious of an answer I suppose.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yes, you can transfer or migrate data from your 9800 to your Z10, using Link.

If you currently do a wired sync from the 9800 to your desktop Outlook, do that before anything.

Backup your 9800 to the Desktop Software.

Make sure NO Address Book groups are in your Address Book.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AWB70UK

"Yes, you can transfer or migrate data from your 9800 to your Z10, using Link."

Seems a stupid question but can you not reverse the situation and transfer back from Z10 to the 9800?

Please use plain text.