Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
joefri
My Device: Torch 9800

Why does Blackberry keep insisting on not providing Japanese Text Input?

Where is the japanese input method for BB10? and for that matter the Playbook as well. I can understand the business model for not having BB10 in Japan but why not provide the language. This is a huge deal breaker for japanese speakers and japanese who live outside of japan.

COME ON BLACKBERRY GET IT TOGETHER!!!!

Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10

Re: Why does Blackberry keep insisting on not providing Japanese Text Input?

If they had the Japanese language support on the phone, then they would sell it in Japan. :smileyhappy: My understanding is that it is a lot of work to make a piece of software/device work properly with the Japanese language.

At this time Blackberry seems to have determined that there is not enough of a market to warrant the development time, maybe that will change in the future, but right now that is their decision.

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
New Contributor
joefri
My Device: Torch 9800

I don't think not selling a device in a country in this day in age dictates what language support a device gets. There are over 1.14 million japanese people living outside Japan and that doesn't include other non Japanese individuals who speak and do business with Japan.

Sad for a company who is losing global market share by the day they should be doing everything they can to keep as many clientelle as possible. For every new phone they sell they are still losing hundreds in the Enterprise world, my company still supports Blackberry at this time but has already swapped 1000 blackberrys for iphones. Home Depot just announced that they will be going to iphones. These aren't small numbers of handsets being traded, it's large volume in a single swipe.

With no Japanese input language they just lost two they could have had in my household.

Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10

joefri wrote:

I don't think not selling a device in a country in this day in age dictates what language support a device gets. There are over 1.14 million japanese people living outside Japan and that doesn't include other non Japanese individuals who speak and do business with Japan.

Sad for a company who is losing global market share by the day they should be doing everything they can to keep as many clientelle as possible. For every new phone they sell they are still losing hundreds in the Enterprise world, my company still supports Blackberry at this time but has already swapped 1000 blackberrys for iphones. Home Depot just announced that they will be going to iphones. These aren't small numbers of handsets being traded, it's large volume in a single swipe.

With no Japanese input language they just lost two they could have had in my household.

Saying that they are losing market share worldwide is a bit of a blanket statement, and there seems to be no factual proof of this. They are gaining traction in many markets that other phone manufacturers are not even targeting, and these are LARGE markets that rely heavily on cellular communication to get things done.

I am 100% sure that they have taken a look at the demographics and looked at how many people WORLDWIDE speak Japanese, and factored in how many of those people also speak English or another second language, and how many that don't would actually buy a Blackberry (it is not !00% remember.) Obviously their decision is that they won't make the money back that is required to make the language translation.

It is unfortunate that they have lost you (and your wife?) as a customer, but I don't think that it is going to sink the company.

I am also 100% sure that the phones that they are losing in the corporate world are not because of the lack of Japanese language support. That was a simple cost analysis, and switching employees to older cheaper iPhones (they aren't getting the latest genearation phones) because of the cost per unit. Once Blackberry gets some traction going with the Z10 and Q10 they will release less expensive (Curve level) BB10 phones and make themselves competetive with the lower grade iCrap and such. Then you will start to see Corporate traction again. Joe Employee does not get a new high end phone from the company and he never has, maybe Joe CEO does... but not Joe Employee. :smileywink:

Anyhoo, no plans to port this for Japanese any time soon, so enjoy another brand.. no amount of whining here will make any difference. :smileyhappy:

Personally, I'm loving my Z10! :smileyvery-happy:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Visitor
maerchenprinz
My Device: PlayBook 64GB

[ Edited ]

I was just reading this, and I had to make my contribution to this discussion as well.

I understand the issue joefri has very well, as I have exactly the same issue. I have an old BB 9000, it is an old device, so I thought it is not much of a deal breaker for it not to support many languages for input.
Now to the sad part of my story. I have been following the release of the new BB10 OS, and I also liked the Tablet OS. However both of these OS come with MAJOR drawbacks, that are unknown to the moment you use it for the first time.
I just bought a PlayBook with 64GB. After 9 hours of research, changing cables, following guides on crackberry, I couldn't find a way to connect my PlayBook to my PC. I could still fill up the 64GB over wi-fi though.
So here is the real dealbreaker:

Language INPUT support. It is rather easy to support input languages. No, it does not require a huge amount of time or effort. You can find a couple of websites offering an JavaScript IME, but you would have to copy paste everything you write.
Not supporting Japanese, Chinese and many other MAJOR languages (esp. in the business world) won't give blackberry as a company a better income. How many people speak Chinese, but don't speak English. Same goes for Japanese. I am a German who speaks Japanese a lot with mostly non-english speakers.

Although I liked the device, and it really makes me sad, I have no choice but to return my PlayBook. Of course I am not going to buy the Q10 when it comes out, even though I really wanted it.

Ignoring Asia as a growing market is not the best choice...

New Contributor
oh4300
My Device: Torch

maerchenprinz wrote:

I was just reading this, and I had to make my contribution to this discussion as well.

I understand the issue joefri has very well, as I have exactly the same issue. I have an old BB 9000, it is an old device, so I thought it is not much of a deal breaker for it not to support many languages for input.
Now to the sad part of my story. I have been following the release of the new BB10 OS, and I also liked the Tablet OS. However both of these OS come with MAJOR drawbacks, that are unknown to the moment you use it for the first time.
I just bought a PlayBook with 64GB. After 9 hours of research, changing cables, following guides on crackberry, I couldn't find a way to connect my PlayBook to my PC. I could still fill up the 64GB over wi-fi though.
So here is the real dealbreaker:

Language INPUT support. It is rather easy to support input languages. No, it does not require a huge amount of time or effort. You can find a couple of websites offering an JavaScript IME, but you would have to copy paste everything you write.
Not supporting Japanese, Chinese and many other MAJOR languages (esp. in the business world) won't give blackberry as a company a better income. How many people speak Chinese, but don't speak English. Same goes for Japanese. I am a German who speaks Japanese a lot with mostly non-english speakers.

Although I liked the device, and it really makes me sad, I have no choice but to return my PlayBook. Of course I am not going to buy the Q10 when it comes out, even though I really wanted it.

Ignoring Asia as a growing market is not the best choice...

Agreed! That's why RIM (Blackberry) is in big trouble now.

Ignoring asian market means business failure sooner or later.

Supporting asian fonts is not that hard as far as I know. My old Torch can do that. Why not in BB10?

Most Apple's iphones and Android phones have almost every language support at the very first activation.

Poor BB.

New Contributor
umihira
My Device: Q10

[ Edited ]

It is hurt at the time i unbox my Q10 with my dad (we bought 2 Q10) and after a few minutes i relized it does not support Japanese language. I don't know how to express this feeling when we are long-time BB user. Have anyone hear about the Japanese language support from Blackberry on the next update 10.2?

Contributor
yhamaie
My Device: Z10 and Q10 (import)

I have not been aware that wishes of BlackBerry users in Korea have been granted.

http://www.berryreview.com/2013/04/29/blackberry-os-10-1-includes-korean-keyboard-input-support/

I simply do not understand why I have to keep using my antique 9860 . . . perhaps RIM would like to discontinue its contract with NTT DoCoMo (local service provider of BES and BIS) as soon as possible by purging all BlackBerry users here in Japan.

shinj_i
My Device: PlayBook, Bold 9780, Bold 9000

Sad news... I also understand why BB had to withdraw from Japan market, yet should have at least provided Japanese input for Japanese users who supported BB for so long, just to be more considerate than business-like. Personally, I'd expected a better decision from BB as one of reputable organization in the world.

New Contributor
Vienticus
My Device: Blackberry Q10

wtb japanese input