Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
TimLaLonde
My Carrier: Verizon

Wi-Fi shows connected but can not browse

In our offices, I can see out Wi-Fi (via a WAP that is above the ceiling about 10' from my desk).

It shows connected when I check status of the Wi-Fi on the Z10.

(Note, I also have a Playbook - connected to the same wireless network - as well as my laptop - connected.)

Whenever I attempt to browze, access BB World, access "help" on teh Z10 - 9 out of 10 times - no access.

What's up?

I can go home and immediately connect and surf.

Frustration.

Tried a Z10 - too many issues.
Now using a Q10. (BB Link still won't fully install.)
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Wi-Fi shows connected but can not browse

You should bring this up with your IT support. This is an issue with the protocol with the WiFi system where you work.

I use the Z10 on WiFi at home and at my personal business office.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
TimLaLonde
My Carrier: Verizon

There in lies the problem - I am the IT.

I have four laptops, my Playbook, two I-phones and sevral Droid phone all successfully connecting to the office Wi-Fi. Just can't get the Z10 to do so.  Would seem to indicate that the Z10 has some new "enhancement" in its operating system at the root of the trouble.

Sad.

Tried a Z10 - too many issues.
Now using a Q10. (BB Link still won't fully install.)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
21stNow
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Tim, have you found a solution to your problem?  We are in very similar situations and I have tried three different Z10 devices with the same results.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

I would try turning off the NAT firewall in the router or switch if these have a NAT filter. Only use the NAT filter in the modem to the outside world.

I am using Z10's in various areas with WiFi and have no problems...

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
21stNow

Unfortunately, one of the similarities isn't that I'm in IT.  I don't have access to turn off a NAT firewall.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

Take the phone to a public WiFi location and see if it works.

Also, some business WiFi networks use MAC address filtering. We do this at one of the locations where I am working.  I had to enter the WiFi MAC address of my Playbook and Z10 in to the Router's MAC list. This is the allow list to be able to access the net. At this same location all the PC's connected on the Ethernet also have MAC address filtering applied.  This way a user cannot bring a laptop from home, plug it in to the network and access the net. It is a very strong protection.

As you probably know the MAC address is unique to every computer NIC or Ethernet card. This is a permanent HEX address that never changes unless the NIC card or module is to be changed for another one. MAC address cloning is not easy to accomplish. When MAC address filtering is used this allows for a avery strong protection.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
21stNow

All three of the Z10 devices that I have had have connected at home with no problem.  I tried the first one at a store, and it seemed to work fine.  I haven't been anywhere to use Wi-fi since I got the latest device.

We don't use MAC address filtering at my job.  I'm sure that I've connected more than 10 different mobile devices to our network with no issues.  It's only the Z10 devices that give me problems.

I can connect my most recent Z10 to the mobile hotspot on one of my other phones, and it maintains the connection (for the few minutes that I have used it).  The first Z10 would not connect to my mobile hotspot and I didn't try with the second one.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

The newer phones are supposed to be able to work on WiFi 802.11n.  Try using type g or type b. I found some devices having problems with type n in relation to specific types of routers that I worked with.  This has to be changed in the WiFi setup section of the router. Type n is very critical for processing.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
21stNow

Unfortunately, I don't have access to make these kinds of changes with our router. 

If I could convince IT to do this (doubtful), would this impact other devices that are connected to this network?

Please use plain text.