Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
DThomas301
My Device: Z10

Wi-Fi slow

When connected to Wi-Fi apps hang, have network errors, songza does not even play. And it is not my wi-fi connection . Other people on crackberry have had this issue. I want to know how to fix it because it is annoying. 

Retired
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Wi-Fi slow

Hey DThomas301,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

What version of BlackBerry 10 software are you running?  Go to Settings>About to get this info.  Also do you get the same speed on all Wi-Fi networks?  Also can you provide some of the forum posts of users that are experiencing this issue?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
graysont
My Device: Playbook

Try using Wireless N with 5ghz if you have a dual band router. I have a Linksys that supports both 5ghz and 2.4. I was gettinga very slow connection until I forced the Z10 connection to use the 5ghz. Then everything was speedy. I suspect that those without the issue only have a single 2.4ghz band. You can chnage the connection type in the connection setting on the device.

New Contributor
DThomas301

[ Edited ]

I am running 10.0.10.85 I get the same speed on all wi-fi networks. here are some of the posts by others off crackberry having the same issue:

1. USER 1: "I am loving my Rogers Z10 and on 4G LTE all is fine but I have notice that when on WIFI I have issues : 1. Apps load very slow or get stuck 2. You Tube won't work - just hangs 3. Web works but you can tell there more hang time than there should be Zero issues with my new router on my PC/Playbook/iPad and N7. Is anyone else having issues with WIFI or is it maybe just an issue with my handset? THX"
  2. USER 2: "My Z10 wifi sucks. I leave wifi off and use the internet. On wifi ill go no notifications on facebook and the phone will go in sleepmode before the notifications show up. My playbook and laptop and my old torch are faster. Its embarassing trying to show the speed of myZ10 when even google responces are delayed on wifi."
  3. USER 3: "I seem to have issues with MY wi-fi at home on my Z10. I can stream from the youtube desktop site "ok", but anytime I download from BB World it's horrid (~100 KB/s) Are there some known do's and don'ts when it comes to router settings and Z10's? My Z10 also drops my home wi-fi network and can't find it for periods of time"
  4. USER 4: "i have this same issue with wifi, but oddly enough it just started this weekend. My youtube played flawlessly but now while connected to wifi the video either doesnt play or hangs.....really starting to **** me off"
  5. USER 5: "Wifi is slow for me too... took me forever to download a 25mb game Edit: and just to be clear it is not my internet connection... I have a 25mb cable connection. Everything else works fine on it...my old 9810, my playbook, my ps3...but my z10 does not."
  6. USER 6: "I am having the same issues. Internet is fast on the network, as soon as I go WIFI only it is very slow. I have tested it against my old 9800 on the same connection. My 9800 loaded 3 pages + a youtube video before the z10 loaded one page."
  7. USER 7: "Similar issues for me,losing the connection or slow performance. Posted via CB10"
  8. Seems like there are alot of people having this issue. For me my apps hang, some dont even load its so frustrating. I have a sonos app and I cant even stream songs off it, my espn app doesnt even load a news feed, but everything is fine when im on network it seems.
New Contributor
DThomas301

Can you please give me more detail on changing the connection settings?? I cant seem to figure out how to change them it doesnt seem to give me that option on my Z10 

Contributor
graysont

@DThomas301 Please try checking your wireless settings on your router and the device. I experienced most of the issues you mention until I noticed that my router was supplying both 5ghz and 2.4 ghz and the devices was set to dual band. By forcing it to use either 2.4ghz or 5ghz for the connection I went back to normal speeds. I suspect that there is some issue in how the driver is managing the dual band.
New Contributor
DThomas301

Ok when I go into the wifi connection my linksys automatically connects and its not letting me edit the settings for it. When I goto ADD connection I can BUT it tells me I need to use a SSID different then the one im already using. So how do I get rid of the one automatically connecting so I can specify what band I am using?

Contributor
graysont

[ Edited ]

Here are some steps:
1. Go into the Wifi settings on your Z10.
2. Tap the "Saved" button at the bottom. (When you connect to a network it will be added to your "Saved Networks".
3. Find your connection in Saved Networks list and tap that connection.
4. Under the VPN Profiles drop down there is a Band Type drop down.
5. Select the 5ghz option. (Note: For 5ghz the Wifi router must have 5ghs, if not then tap the 2.4ghz option).
6. You will be disconnected but after a few seconds it will connect again and you should notice a significant increase in speed.

Note: In my case I went form 50 to 100kbps to about 18mbps.

New Contributor
DThomas301

Ok that seemed to do the trick thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully blackberry can fix this cause it seems to be happening to alot of people. I even returned a phone thinking it was a dud and then when I came home and it didnt help I did some more looking. Some people might now be willing to do the looking and just return the phone. 

jrlong

May I hijack this thread?  I'm having the same issue on a pair of Z10s.  I've tried everything mentioned here and on the Crackberry forums.  I'm still getting throttled to what looks like exactly 100kB/s when downloading apps or when I just downloaded the lastest OS for the 2nd Z10 (just got that new today for my wife).

However, I don't seem to have problems with YouTube or browsing, so I assume I'm getting a lot better than 100kB/s.  It's literally only downloading new applications.

I also just tried turning one Z10 hotspot on and connecting to it from the other Z10.  Download speed is fine!

So it MUST have something to do with my router (D-Link DIR-655 which is 802.11n, 2.4GHz only), which I suppose is more D-Link's problem, not yours, but perhaps you've seen something?

Any thoughts?  Thanks!