Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Winmail.dat - Email attachment

Can't open e-mail attachments.  The Z10 receives them as Winmail.dat and of course does not recognize the format. Any help would be appreciated

Solutions: 6,122
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Winmail.dat - Email attachment

Any chance the sending user is on a Mac?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

[ Edited ]

No the sender is using Outlook from Windows 8.  I've also sent myself an attachment from Outlook using Windows 8 and same problem.  Z10 receives the attachment as Winmail.dat

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Is the original email being sent in Rich Text format? If so change to HTML or plain text.

Solutions: 6,122
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

I've seen this before (not often) on my former BlackBerrys and a couple times on my Z10.

It is an attachment formatting issue on the email sent from MS Outlook or Exchange accounts. There's not a setting on the device to control or change that.

Ask the sender to change the sending mode in Outlook from TNEF ("rich-text") to HTML mode.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

[ Edited ]

e-mail being sent is in HTML. I've looked on google to see if anyone else is having this problem and it seems others are having the same problem no matter if the attachment is doc docx pdf xml or xmlx

I've also sent myself an e-mail from Outlook using Windows 7. 2 attachments 1 docx and 1 jpeg arrive as Winmail.dat

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook and Smartphone 9930

Wow I guess that there is no easy answer with the issues of Blackberry receiving winmail.dat files on Blackberry Z10 , the answer of contacting sender to change to HTML file seems to be the only answer it doesn't make sense to me that using blackberry espiecially if it is a doc file and that docs to go is an app on the blackberry. I would think that Blackberry support would look into this I have never been able to receive a .docx file from anyone on Blackberry Z10

Ron Hackett
Real Estate Consultant
Forums Advisor III

This has been an Outlook issue for quite a long time, and it does not only seen on the Z10. I have been occasionally plagued by this.. there is tonnes of info on Google about it simply search for "winmail.dat" :smileywink:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook and Smartphone 9930

I'm not sure if it's an outlook issue. Regardless if your promoting docs to go an email attachment as a doc file sent to a Blackberry should have a reader to view.

Ron Hackett
Real Estate Consultant
Forums Advisor III

The issue is that outlook hams up the attachment that it is sending, the attachment actually never gets out of outlook properly. Google it and read about it.

I stress again.. it is not a problem with the Z10 or the Docs to Go app.
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy: