Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
maxfindlay
My Device: Q10

With a very heavy heart I've returned my Z10 to the shop

I've just come back from returning my Z10 to the shop where I got it. Am very sad to do this as I've used BBs for as long as I can remember and in many ways the Z10 is a beautiful machine. But it and BB Link just has far too many problems right now -- especially the failure to USB sync with Outlook. And if you're using the Z10 for work, it takes up far too much time trying to sort out or work round its shortcomings. While I was there, two other people were also returning their Z10s, so I'm clearly not the only one who's given up on it. I'll have another look at the Z10 and possibly the Q10 a little later in the year when all the promised reforms are meant to kick in but for now I'm reverting to my veteran Torch. I'll miss the beautiful screen (and excellent keyboard) on the Z10 though but not the rest of the mess. What on earth possessed BB to market  what is, in effect, a very promising beta-test device? An earlier correpondent in one of these forums said that BB wasn't going to go "backwards" and that we could complain all we liked if it made us feel better. Speaking for myself, complaining doesn't make me feel better -- I want to find ways to make technology work -- but if BB can't provide technology (and software) that works without fuss and in a way that punters (rather than BB developers and tekkies) want it to work, then BB are looking at corporate oblivion. And that really will be a terrible shame.          

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Farmerb22
My Device: curve 9310

Re: With a very heavy heart I've returned my Z10 to the shop

I'm so glad I read your post before I ran out and purchased one. I bought a curve 9310 waiting for the Z10 to be released. The curve quit playing youtube videos all of the sudden. I know youtube is trivial for business venturing bb users, but I came to the support forums for support. All I saw was people and a lot of people with the exact problem I had and no RIM rep even attempting to reply to any of their concerns. I am sorry for your Z10 troubles but am certainly glad you spared me the grief of buying one. What good is all that HD if you can't even play a 2 minute youtube video. Thanks again for the heads up friend.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
PCRescueSJ
My Device: Z10

Count me in too.

Sadly at the breaking point after 2 weeks with the Z10. I will however be reactivating my Curve.

First things first. I actually use my smartphone as a phone. I do not care about a gazillion apps. I do however heavily rely on my phone to run my business. I run an onsite computer / IT repair business.

Issues I have encountered and that have become the deal breakers for me.

1. Battery life - I have done all I can to extend it but I am not satisfied. I don't mind charging every night. But g-damnit a business phone should get through the WHOLE DAY.
2. Poynt - I used this for yellowpages and white pages. If I missed a call I could reverse lookup the number to find out who it was. I have some priority customers and seeing who it was is nice. I think BB should have bought these guys and integrated its functions into the OS. Plus YP did not release an app for OS7 nor BB10.
3. Calendar - Everything is scheduled for my day in here. For a new OS ... it really broke my heart that I could not simply click on my customer location in the LOCATION FIELD in the appointment and have it load into BB Maps. I like BB Maps - I used the GPS today to get me through a city I am not familiar with as I upgraded routers at 9 retail locations just today. Went great really.
4. Phone - Also great - but from a user design / app design standpoint this one really pissed me off today. I was on the phone with a customer. I open the calendar app to enter in my customer details for an appointment for monday. Customer hangs up but I am not finished entering their data into calendar. Phone feels it necessary to kick me out of the calendar and show me the phone screen to let me know they hung up. Geee.... thanks spanky. Back into the calendar I go. Way to interrupt my workflow. When you are a one man show running a busy business - that is a showstopper for me right now.
5. Bridge - Love my playbook. Always defended its use and features. Pretty sure we had no warning before Z10 release about bridge being castrated. It was nice to just leave my phone charging 20 feet away while I enjoyed my playbook and seamlessly conducted business tasks through it. Bridge was another heart breaker for me. "aww guys ... really? aww c'mon!"
6. Ringer - seems to be a bug. my phone decides to stop ringing. battery pull required. BT headset is off... you should ring damnit!

Love having a real browser. Gonna miss that. But I have a business to run.

If Q10 comes along with a few app gaps filled I'll be all over it like ... me on Black Bush Whiskey.

Until then, back to my Curve. Unless someone makes a decent qwerty droid? :/
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

maxfindlay wrote:

I've just come back from returning my Z10 to the shop where I got it. Am very sad to do this as I've used BBs for as long as I can remember and in many ways the Z10 is a beautiful machine. But it and BB Link just has far too many problems right now -- especially the failure to USB sync with Outlook. And if you're using the Z10 for work, it takes up far too much time trying to sort out or work round its shortcomings. While I was there, two other people were also returning their Z10s, so I'm clearly not the only one who's given up on it. I'll have another look at the Z10 and possibly the Q10 a little later in the year when all the promised reforms are meant to kick in but for now I'm reverting to my veteran Torch. I'll miss the beautiful screen (and excellent keyboard) on the Z10 though but not the rest of the mess. What on earth possessed BB to market  what is, in effect, a very promising beta-test device? An earlier correpondent in one of these forums said that BB wasn't going to go "backwards" and that we could complain all we liked if it made us feel better. Speaking for myself, complaining doesn't make me feel better -- I want to find ways to make technology work -- but if BB can't provide technology (and software) that works without fuss and in a way that punters (rather than BB developers and tekkies) want it to work, then BB are looking at corporate oblivion. And that really will be a terrible shame.          

There certainly seem to be some issues with BB Link connecting to the Z10 in a number of cases, but I think a few people have solved the issue. There is actually an entire area of this forum dedicated to the BB Link software. I remember someone finding a solution to this issue in there, but I have not tried it myself yet so I can't remember the steps. As soon as I find that thread again I will post a link here. For now this is the link to the Link forum:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Link/bd-p/blackberrylink

Being an early adopter of new technology is not something that everyone is ready for.. and let's face it: Blackberry users have been "stuck in a rut" for a long time, so it is obviously going to be shocking to many of us to use such a different and new operating system. :smileywink: So yes, it can feel like you are "beta testing" when you adopt a new piece of technology.. but that goes for EVERY piece of new technology, not just the new BB10 devices.

People will be learning to work with new methods for a while with the new OS, and improvements will be coming to fill holes that users ask for, of that I'm sure. Of course if you decide not to be part of that process and contribute to the new software's development and feature list, then don't expect to come back in 6 months and wonder why some feature that you desire is not there. :smileyhappy:

Personally I am enjoying my experience with the new device for the most part, although there are some things that I wish were there right now: Outlook sync via USB, a better Twitter app (although this is not a Blackberry issue as Twitter developed the app), and most certainly better battery life! However, for what I use my smartphone for, the benefits simply outweigh the negatives.

Just my 2c.

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

PCRescueSJ wrote:
Count me in too.

Sadly at the breaking point after 2 weeks with the Z10. I will however be reactivating my Curve.

First things first. I actually use my smartphone as a phone. I do not care about a gazillion apps. I do however heavily rely on my phone to run my business. I run an onsite computer / IT repair business.

Issues I have encountered and that have become the deal breakers for me.

1. Battery life - I have done all I can to extend it but I am not satisfied. I don't mind charging every night. But g-damnit a business phone should get through the WHOLE DAY.
Certainly the battery life needs to be addressed, and I am SURE that it will. Of course this is one of the only phones on the market that you can simply slip another battery into to keep you going. :smileywink:
2. Poynt - I used this for yellowpages and white pages. If I missed a call I could reverse lookup the number to find out who it was. I have some priority customers and seeing who it was is nice. I think BB should have bought these guys and integrated its functions into the OS. Plus YP did not release an app for OS7 nor BB10.
I believe that Poynt went out of business and a few of their developers have moved onto Shoutcast. Download that and give it a try.
If you are looking for an app to be on BB10 and it is not there, by all means contact the company or developer of that app and ask them for it. This is the only way that we will be sure to see all of these apps get to this platform. If they realize that there is a need.. then it will be implemented. The more people that contact them.. the faster it will get done!
Send them an email, a Tweet, or a Facebook post. I've tried to start a hashtag #GetWithBB10 that we can all use, but not many people are asking developers for apps, the simply complain that they don't exist. :smileywink: I use it frequently, so feel free to join in, I will retweet anything with that hashtag.
There is always the option of sideloading the Android apps (search on this forum, there are tonnes of info on it.)
I personally simply use the mobile or touch sites for web based companies that don't have apps with all of the functionality that I need. Simply send a link to your desktop and you have made yourself an 'app.' Use that AMAZING browser and touchscreen to your advantage!
I'll start a thread here with my favourite mobile and touch sites shortly.
3. Calendar - Everything is scheduled for my day in here. For a new OS ... it really broke my heart that I could not simply click on my customer location in the LOCATION FIELD in the appointment and have it load into BB Maps. I like BB Maps - I used the GPS today to get me through a city I am not familiar with as I upgraded routers at 9 retail locations just today. Went great really.
I'm sure that will be added. :smileyhappy:
4. Phone - Also great - but from a user design / app design standpoint this one really pissed me off today. I was on the phone with a customer. I open the calendar app to enter in my customer details for an appointment for monday. Customer hangs up but I am not finished entering their data into calendar. Phone feels it necessary to kick me out of the calendar and show me the phone screen to let me know they hung up. Geee.... thanks spanky. Back into the calendar I go. Way to interrupt my workflow. When you are a one man show running a busy business - that is a showstopper for me right now.
Sounds like a bug to me, contact your carrier to report it or start a thread here so that it can be dealt with. :smileyhappy:
5. Bridge - Love my playbook. Always defended its use and features. Pretty sure we had no warning before Z10 release about bridge being castrated. It was nice to just leave my phone charging 20 feet away while I enjoyed my playbook and seamlessly conducted business tasks through it. Bridge was another heart breaker for me. "aww guys ... really? aww c'mon!"
Again, I am sure that htis is something that they just haven't had the opportunity to finish working on yet and we will see all of that Bridge functionality soon.
6. Ringer - seems to be a bug. my phone decides to stop ringing. battery pull required. BT headset is off... you should ring damnit!
This is a bug, it is being worked on.

Love having a real browser. Gonna miss that. But I have a business to run.

If Q10 comes along with a few app gaps filled I'll be all over it like ... me on Black Bush Whiskey.

Until then, back to my Curve. Unless someone makes a decent qwerty droid? :/

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
eurokuzzik
My Device: playbook

Guys i have had my Z10 since the first day it came out here in UK. Coming from a BOLD 9900 i too really miss some of the old features. Especially the calendar. I have been really passed of about the BlackBerry link as I just couldn't manage to copy my contacts and i had other issues with SMS. I had to wipe it several times after that, I decided to just copy them over blue tooth. Even the sd card copy mode didn't work. I tried decrypting it etc but still didn't work. The weird thing was that the SMS did copy and emails and when opening them i could see my contacts showing, but when opening the actual contacts, there was nothing. Anyway I wiped everything and just copied the contacts over BT and left the SMS and emails on the old phone. I find it annoying that the encryption of sd card function is missing from the menu although it is mentioned in the help. Also there are several bugs, but I love the phone. And I am keeping it. YouTube is the best on z10 than any other phone. I have An iPhone too. Battery life, the best also. I do t know about you, but the first 3 days the battery was awful, it wouldn't hold 7 hours. I was so upset, but after a week, it is holding for the whole night of bedside mode and now it is 26 hours since I charged it and I am still typing on the phone. I bought the extra battery accessory with charger. Charged it for 24h first time. And it holds that good. So I think you need to do that when buying a new battery. I am very happy with my Z10 and coming from a bold with physical keyboard, I can't say the i really miss it. The keyboard they done on this phone is simply just amazing. I am looking forward to the software update. I hope they fix the hugs. But again, battery is very good. Just give it a few days to adjust.
Please use plain text.
sabraham
My Device: bb Z10

OK, I'm cheesed off with my new Z10 and m at the point of wanting to take it back!!

I've been at this for hours trying to find a way of transferring all my contacts from my bold 9870 to the Z10 and nothing works. 

I've tried blackberry link, Doesnt work!

I've tried bluetoothing the contact list across but only the first contact  actually arrives at the blackberry

After having waited so long for blackberry to come up with something new and interesting and having supported them for so many years now i feel like it wasnt worth it. For the first time ever i feel like throwing my blackberry away into the trash

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
eurokuzzik

Ok don't worry! I had the same issue. Easiest thing to do, is on the old BlackBerry sync the contacts to a Gmail account the problem here is that in the contacts you can,choose types of contacts which to view. Disable the sim contacts. Also you will find out that even that it is not showing you the contact which is copied, it is actually copied. I had the same thing and now I have several contacts copied 3 times. Just copy them one by one and then restart the device. They will all be there. Very annoying but it worked for me. I realised that half of my contacts on ny old bold, I didn't even know who they were, so it was a good time to clean up. Don't give it back! You will be addicted to it. I am with you.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
eurokuzzik

Just want to add that it turned out the be easiest of them all to copy contacts from an iPhone, I bought a Z10 for my partner and I just set up his @me.com email first and he got everything on his new BlackBerry straight away. So if anyone is changing from iphone to BlackBerry, it is the easiest. I think it is ridiculous, we the loyal BlackBerry users should have not experienced any problems. I am upset. BlackBerry fix these bugs asap!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
PCRescueSJ

Mobile sites are not an option for me.

I might eventually go back to BB10 but I have a business to run. And I run all aspects of it by myself.

It should be all about integration and seamless use.

They should get these phones into real world business users like myself for beta testing.

Far as I am concerned I really did feel a sense of betrayal with the PlayBook. Don't **bleep** on your most loyal customers. At the VERY LEAST ... let us know ahead of time. Having a business degree, the evil marketer in me suspects "don't tell them about breaking the bridge functionality ... we won't sell as many phones on release day!"

Please use plain text.