Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
brandonberry
My Device: Z10

Re: Woes of the Z10, and now i want to use it as a backup phone for my contacts and data. Can I?

Okay great. It was that exact premise I was wondering about. So if I did a device switch via Blackberry Link, and loaded in my Torch data into the Z10, and activated the Z10 with a completely different Hub ID, I would be fine, according to your reasoning, and that everything would still work. And the BIS server would not be touched because I would need to detect and switch device manually anyway off the BIS provider site.

I do sync my Torch with Outlook but lately it has had the habit of removing some contacts (trying to sync an iphone and blackberry via Outlook is quite a headache). Furthermore, applications like Password Keeper don't switch over with that method. I do not wish to have to manually key in 250 password settings, hence its important for me to be able to port all the data over. 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Woes of the Z10, and now i want to use it as a backup phone for my contacts and data. Can I?

brandonberry wrote:

Okay great. It was that exact premise I was wondering about. So if I did a device switch via Blackberry Link, and loaded in my Torch data into the Z10, and activated the Z10 with a completely different Hub ID, I would be fine, according to your reasoning, and that everything would still work. And the BIS server would not be touched because I would need to detect and switch device manually anyway off the BIS provider site.

"Hub ID"? I'm going to guess that you meant BB ID.

But anyway, in that sequence, I'm not sure you can really do that...the device switch process is, I think, designed to switch everything from the old device over to the new one, and that would include the BB ID...so you would not be able to use a different BB ID on the Z10 since the device switch process would have migrated the association of the BB ID from the old device over to the Z10. And in that process, your carrier system may or may not automatically shut down BIS for that account...we've had widely varying reports of what is happening in the carrier systems as this transition has proceeded (they've had to make major adjustments to their networks so as to accommodate both BB10 devices as well as pre-BB10...it's been a bit of a mess in some situations).

Now, do understand that I had no need to do a formal device switch for myself. I've never considered my BB (nor, for that matter, any other mobile device) to be the "master repository" of my data (contacts, calendar, etc.). Rather, I use one of my desktop Outlook instances as that master, and have it replicating/synchronizing to all other devices (OTA, via Outlook.com and the HotMail connector). So, for me, there was no need to do a formal device switch since there was no data on my prior BB that mattered for the situation of migrating to the Z10...all I needed to do was get the OTA sync working between my desktop Outlook and Outlook.com, and then the Z10 could integrate to that just fine.

So I can't say what your carrier would do in the sequence that you'd laid out...your BIS account may be left alone, or it may be killed...I've no way to know that. But, what I would suggest is not trying that sequence...rather, use your Outlook client as your master data repository, get it synchronizing OTA with something (I recommend Outlook.com), and then activate your Z10 with it's own BB ID, and get it working with Outlook.com (for calendar/contacts). That definitely will leave your BIS account alone and still attached to your prior device (assuming, of course, that you still have a data plan for that device now...to keep both devices, they each need their own data plan).

brandonberry wrote:

Furthermore, applications like Password Keeper don't switch over with that method. I do not wish to have to manually key in 250 password settings, hence its important for me to be able to port all the data over. 

I've never been a user of Password Keeper, so don't have any direct experience with it, nor therefore with switching it to a BB10 device. I do know some who have succeeded with that, but I think it was not a method of formal device switch...it might have been a backup/restore method, but again I'm really not positive on that subtle point.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
brandonberry
My Device: Z10

Hmm. Well, we won't know for sure till we try it out. Anyway its a Sunday, might be a good day for experimenting. I'll test it out and see if it messes things up, at least we can all learn from this. Thanks a lot sdgardne! Your inputs have helped. I'll report back once I set myself a 2 hour window and can bring myself to reboot my laptop (just downloaded the update for BB Link).

And yes, you are right about the Hub ID being the BB ID. Sorry its this BB Hub thing that appears on the Z10 that messes me up with the terminology.