Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Z10, PB WiFi, Bold 9900
My Carrier: A1
Accepted Solution

Wrong Caller-ID displayed - only rightmost 4 digits used for matching number -> name

Hi,

Some days ago I discovered a rather strange and very confusing behavior on my Z10 wrt matching calling number to stored contact (name):

When you get a call there should be a "reverse lookup" in the phonebook matching number to name. As it seems the match number to name is solely done based on the rightmost 4 digits. This can lead to very confusing situations to say the least:

Say you have the number +43123456789 stored belonging to "Smith". Now when you get a call another number,  say +432838126789 the Z10 displays the calling party as "Smith" - which is defintely wrong.

The same holds true when placing outbound calls: Again, take the contact Smith having +43123456789. Suppose on Z10s dialpad you enter a number, say +43228376789 (righmost 4 digits are the same). When you finish the call in your last call log the Z10 displays the number called as "Smith" - which is completely wrong.

So here are my questions:

• Anybody else seen this behavior
  • Any known cure against it?

BTW - this is happens not only on my Z10 but on every Z10 that is used in our company.

Thanks much in advance for any clue,

-bblacksheep

Solutions: 6,170
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Wrong Caller-ID displayed - only rightmost 4 digits used for matching number -> name

It is a known issue.

Article ID: KB33685 Caller ID does not show associated contact when country code is included in phone number

A workaround is to remove the the country code where included in the phone number field of the contact.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Re: Wrong Caller-ID displayed - only rightmost 4 digits used for matching number -> name

Hi,

Are you sure this KB-article is about the problem I'm experiencing?

It says "When receiving an local incoming call, Caller ID does not display the associated contact if the country code is included in the phone number field."

What is meant by a "local incoming call"? (Please note that least in Austria where I'm living all incoming calls have the format "+43...")

Besides that, the KB-article only refers to incoming calls, however my problem is also with outgoing calls, i.e. when dialling a number (e.g. via dialpad) that has it rightmost digits the same as a number belonging to a contact stored on the phone the last call log falsely shows the stored contact as call target.

Solutions: 6,170
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Test the recommedationa and see if it works.

Remove the country code from the number you're dialing and see if it fixes it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

JSanders wrote:

Test the recommedationa and see if it works.

Remove the country code from the number you're dialing and see if it fixes it.

Well, yeah - this workaround actually does the trick: as soon as I remove the country code (+43 in my case) from the contact I get the right name displayed.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

PS: Since this is a confirmed bug - any ideas about when a fix will be available? (I know the KB-article says "no resulution timeframe currently available" but maybe you know a little more than that Smiley Wink