Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

Z10 Backup Fails at around 20%

Hello,

I need help figuring out why when I try to backup my Z10 it fails at around 20% complete. I have used 13.2GB on the device so backing up should take quite sometime, but it never gets done. It gives me an error stating that the backup was not successful; and when I look at the details it says there was a connection problem or that the device was not on.

I read on another post that there could be a problem with having transferred information from an older BB device. I originally performed a device switch from a T-Mobile BB9900 to a Verizon BBZ10; then swapped again from the Verizon to a T-Mobile Z10.

I also read that you have to have mass storage mode off. I can confirm that I have done this.

Please help,

Chivalry Will Never Die
Developer
My Device: Z10, Bold 9900
My Carrier: Smartone

Re: Z10 Backup Fails at around 20%

Just a wild guess, do you have enough disk space on your PC/Mac to perform the backup?

Contributor

I did have that issue at first, but cleaned up the disk space and also told BBLink to save it elsewhere on larger HDD.
Chivalry Will Never Die
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I had this with a fair number of computers. Try the following:

Go to the properties for your USB ports in the computer's Device Manager. Go to the USB Root Hub.  Most computers have two of these. Some will have more if you have a large amount of USB ports. Go to the power management section and turn off the option for the computer to put this port to sleep or put it to standby. 

Normally this will follow the standby mode for the Power Management for the ports. The default for most systems can be 10, or 15, or 20 minutes depending on how the advanced power management is set up. This time out is normally for protection of battery powered devices that are left turned on, unattended, and connected.

What happens with the phone is when the Link is taking the data from the phone it uses direct hardware access via its own drivers. The Win OS is not seeing this directly, and determines with its logic the USB ports are no longer being used, and therefore shuts down the USB ports.

If in your case if my suggestion is not the problem, then you would have to take this to the next level...

Jerry G.
Contributor

I finally was able to backup my device. After reading several forum posts I became convinced it was some specific app. So I deleted all my side loaded apps and all of my large game apps (500+MB). I didn't/don't have time to go though and delete them one by one to find the culprit.

So, if you can't backup your BB10 device try deleting apps.
Chivalry Will Never Die
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

thanks captainbdsc !

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Digicel, Jamaica

I have the same problem of the backup crashing when it reaches 20%. I have tried to backup on two desktops and one laptop and I have tried your solution on one desktop and it doesnt work. I believe the problem is with BB10 and not the computers. It seems all of us have the identical problem with suggests to me that it is a fault of the OS.