Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
Accepted Solution

Z10 Battery Suddenly Draining Faster

Hi All,

Let me begin by saying that I am an avid Blackberry user and love the OS 10 phones more than anything else on the market.

Issue:-

I have been a Z10 owner since July 2013. I am on the T-Mobile network in the US.

My OS version is 10.1.0.4780. This is current OS that T-Mobile pushes to its customers. Its not a leak.

I am facing an issue from the past 2 days. The battery on my Z10 has started draining quickly to a point where it drains from 100% to empty in about 3 hours.

Charging the battery from empty to 100% takes more than 5 hours.

In fact it drains battery even when its plugged into the charger and I am using it for a trivial task like writing an email.

The only way it charges is when I am not doing anything on it.

Also, the left top quadrant (screen facing me) stays warm all the time since this issue started arising.

Usage:-

My phone is used on 4G. I never turn on the LTE since I think the speeds are good.

None of the connections like WiFi, Bluetooh, NFC etc are turned on.

I never have any of my apps running in the background. I always shut them down once I am done using them.

I use my phone mostly for emailing, texting and phone calls.

I do play games on it but not that much. Given the current state I dont think can go thru a single stage of Contre Jour if i fire it up.

There is nothing running on the background too. I used the task manager to verify.

There has been no change to the way I use my phone.

Prognosis:-

I have a feeling that there is an issue with my battery. But since I have only owned the phone for about 6 months its wierd that the battery is dying so quickly.

Let me know if someone has faced a similar issue. This is currently driving me nuts.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10

Re: Z10 Battery Suddenly Draining Faster

The first thing I would recommend in to remove the battery from your device for a few minutes and then reinsert it.

Have you dropped your Z10? Just asking....

The thing that mystifies me and, I apologize, is that you have an awesome device and don't really seem to be using the technology to it's fullest capacity. Your state your don't use LTE or WiFi. Maybe your T-Mo network works different from VZW. I've got a smart phone and if I start turning things off my device isn't so smart. Is it correct that with T-Mo you can place calls over WiFi? Just asking because the 10.2 OS updates seem to be easier on the battery but I believe you lose WiFi calling. I'm sure the 10.2 T-Mo release will take care of this.

Another thing you can try is to turn off GPS and see if this make a difference. I also have to ask if you've loaded any new games or apps recently? Have you side-loaded any Android apps?

Lastly, if the battery pull does not work I would consider a wipe and relaod. Best of luck!

VZW Z10 on OS 10.2.1.2234
Solutions: 6,064
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Do this, with it connected to the wall outlet charger, remove the battery and replace to reboot.

Also, get a battery app such as Battery Guru or one of the free ones which shows the power level being consumed, doing so can indicate if there is an app running in the background using power.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

This is very bizarre as I am having the exact same issue.  My Z10 on T-mobile that I've had since June 2013 just started draining the battery rapidly this past Sunday (1/12/14) and is draining 3 or more times during the day since then.  For the 6 month's I've had the Z10, it has always lasted all day with no problem once I turned off the error reporting.  I've tried re-booting several times and a couple of battery pulls with no success.  I have been searching for solutions and haven't found anything useful yet.  

Hopefully something will be worked out soon.

New Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I have done the battery pulls plenty on times since, it did not work.

No, I haven't dropped my Z10 even once since I bought it.

I do use Wi-Fi calling when I am home. Its notorious in a way that when on Wi Fi sometimes the text messages are delayed. Hence, i dont do that a lot. But most of my day i am at work where I cannot use the company Wi-Fi, hence i constantly am on 4G. The Tmobile network in the area I am in very strong so no need for turning on LTE.

I use the browser a lot. That is the primary reason why i bought the Z10. The awesome browser.

I tried turning off location services too. No difference.

No new apps or any sideloaded apps on my phone.

I am trying to avoid the wipe and clean :-p

I will wait for more responses if nothing else that seems to be the final step.

Thanks again

New Contributor

@jsanders 

I will try the connected charger battery pull solution.

I have the battery guru app and this is the current reading.

At 63% battery level it says it will take 1.3hrs to discharge and the power usage remains between -1W to 1W.

Battery température is at 88F.

New Contributor

Where in the US are you located? I live in the Hartford area in CT

I was reading in a Crackberry forum that one user was facing a battery drainage which was attributed to maintenance work being done at the carries towers in his locality.

New Contributor

I'm in the Ontario California area east of Los Angeles, almost as far away from you in the US as is possible.

I was afraid my battery had gone bad too, but hearing that another user had the same problem on the same phone model with the same carrier starting nearly on the same day seems too coincidental...

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

rkadam wrote:

@jsanders 

I will try the connected charger battery pull solution.

I have the battery guru app and this is the current reading.

At 63% battery level it says it will take 1.3hrs to discharge and the power usage remains between -1W to 1W.

Battery température is at 88F.

The connected reboot is certainly a potential fix. If that doesn't work I would evaluate your apps, looking for one that is running amok, possibly Facebook, or eBay. You can delete a suspected app and always reload it if it's not the culprit. Deleting email accounts and setting them back up is another possibility.

Shutting down all connections, radios, etc could help determine if a "rogue" app is depleting your battery. No connection + no battery drain = potential app issue.

I have not experienced your problem but I also wipe and reload my device about every two months, even in my legacy device days. This just seems to keep my device running a little snappier. Best of luck!

VZW Z10 on OS 10.2.1.2234
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have not reloaded my OS yet and battery lasts a day (depending on usage of course)

possible you have a corrupt contact or calendar entry

Start with this if using Outlook with a connector to email

In outlook Make a new folder for contacts called backup

move all contacts to the folder and wait for all to be removed from device

then pull battery on device and put back in

After device boots move contacts from backup to the contacts folder and wait for them all to appear

Backup device then in Outlook

highlight calendar
goto file import/export
choose export to file
choose Persoanl folder pst, next
make sure calendar is highlighted and choose subfolders if you have them, next

save to desktop with a name you can remember, Finish
Click ok on screen popup

Go to view, arange by events
delete all entries

close outlook and any word files, open outlook back up after 15 seconds.

Then
goto file import/export
import from another program or file, next
choose Persoanl folder pst, next
find the file and import
Choose highlight calendar and Finish
Change view back to what you want and try again.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V