Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
Ranchie
My Device: Z10

Z10 Camera Shutter Sound

Hi guys,
Is there anyway of switching off the camera shutter sound in a Z10?
Not only is it annoying, it's actually quite loud when your being shown round a really nice possible wedding venue and you want to take pictures!!
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

Re: Z10 Camera Shutter Sound

[ Edited ]

Apparently, since the last number of years it is illegal for phones in many countries to be sold without a shutter sound. This has to do with privacy. I am not sure, but I think this law also applies to all consumer type digital cameras. As far as I know this sound cannot be turned off.

Jerry G.
New Contributor
Ranchie

Most other handsets have this feature available and certainly in the UK digital cameras have the option to switch of shutter sounds, it is a common misconception that the law requires a shutter sound.
BlackBerry should make this option available as it is the users responsibility to ensure that they are applying with all local laws
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

Ranchie wrote:
Most other handsets have this feature available and certainly in the UK digital cameras have the option to switch of shutter sounds, it is a common misconception that the law requires a shutter sound.
BlackBerry should make this option available as it is the users responsibility to ensure that they are applying with all local laws

It is not a misconception, in Canada it is illegal to operate and camera without shutter sound

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
New Contributor
Ranchie

Hence my previous comment in relation to users adhering to local laws, the option to have the camera sound off would then allow users to choose. If other mobile phone companies can do it then I'm sure that BlackBerry can to
Contributor
Decoding
My Device: Curve 8520

It is all about legal issues. In Canada its illegal to take photos without the camera sound,
Contributor
Fresh_Squid
My Device: None

Even if it is illegal to take photos without shutter sound, I have yet to find it in the criminal code. It is most certainly not illegal to provide the option on the z-10.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I just use the rapid picture feature which uses a faint click

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
Fresh_Squid
My Device: None

Its not illegal to operate a camera without shutter sound in canada. Where did you get this information?

New Contributor
sav22
My Device: Not Specified

The are many free apps to take care of this! Please check BB World. I gurantee you will find one.

Ranchie wrote:
Hi guys,
Is there anyway of switching off the camera shutter sound in a Z10?
Not only is it annoying, it's actually quite loud when your being shown round a really nice possible wedding venue and you want to take pictures!!