Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

My Device: z10
My Carrier: vodafone

Z10 Contact Transfer Possible Solution

Hello,

So, like me, you couldn’t  wait and got yourself a brand spanking new z10, Congratulations! it’s awesome. apart from one major oversight.. TRANSFERING CONTACTS! what a mess BB.. i don’t know how you managed to screw this up?

I’ve burnt 6 or so hours of my life trying to figure out how to get my contact from my bold to my z10.

things is tried:

- Link device switch : didn’t transfer contacts

- Link restore contacts from a backup: didn’t work

- Transfer contacts via Bluetooth: didn’t work, only transfers the one contact.

- Transfer using CSV: excel removes the zero in front on the phone numbers and no amount of column formatting is going to make a difference.

and the list goes on...

Solution: i did this on a iMAC and Gmail but I’m sure you can adapt this for a PC and other email services.

1, if you’ve already created one, delete your primary mail account from the z10

2, move contacts via Bluetooth to the iMAC: surprisingly it moves them ALL via a vcard.

3, open the vcard in apple address book or import them into the apple address book.

4, select(  highlight/Make blue) all the contacts in the apple address book

5, export to vcard, save it someplace you can find easily

6, Sign in to or create a Gmail email account.

7, in Gmail you'll notice a menu labelled as 'more'. select contacts

8, once in the contacts area, it'll will  be empty if not done before.

9, if empty you’ll be presented with the import option, select 'import using Vcard'.

10. BAM, all contacts imported into Gmail in the correct format.

now back to the z10

1, create a new account and select 'advanced' at the bottom of the screen

2, select 'Activesync'

3, Fill in the details, username is the same as your email Gmail email address.

4, domain is . 'm.google.com'

5, Save.

6, BAM!

Done. all contacts and other bits should find their way to your z10. if you cannot see all the contacts, just flick through the contacts pages in your Gmail. i found doing this 'pushes' the contacts to the z10.

BB.. I don’t know what you were thinking? how can something so basic be such a pain in the rear?!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook 16g,32g, 64g (use this every day still), 2-z10's, Passport
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Z10 Contact Transfer Possible Solution

this site will walk you through.  It didn't work the first time so be patient

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-switch-devices

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry z10
My Carrier: bell

bluetotth worked for me

transferred all contacts and merged data to facebook contacts already on z10

pair devices select transfer contacts

easy as that

My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

After trying ActiveSync and numerous other fixes, including a battery pull, my contacts finally starting populating after I used the phone keypad and selected 'contacts' at the bottom of the screen.  It took a minute for the sync from Gmail.  I had spent several hours trying bluetooth, BB Link, etc, and nothing was working, so I don't really know what the real fix was, I'm just passing along the last action I took before my Contacts 'woke up'.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

OK, I'm officially cheesed off with my new Z10 and want to take it back!!

I've been at this for hours trying to find a way of transferring all my contacts and nothing works. Vodafone were a waste of time too. Their answer was to enter them all again manually!

I've tried blackberry link multiple times, no joy (Blackberry link is a pain in itself as it keeps crashing)

I came across the link below and thought "ah that'll be my problem" deleted the contact group and still no joy!

I've tried bluetoothing the contact list across but only the first contact  actually arrives at the blackberry

I[ve tried bluetoothing the contact list across to another working handset and then emailing it to the Z10 from there. Still only the first contact appears.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Keep them simple please as I'm new to this.

All in all very poor to have made such a pigs ear of such an essential evolution!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

If you have BB7& then there is a change device key in the set up options.  I only read this and didn't use it as I had ver 6 on my 9800

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

I have a storm 2, Pre BB 7 I think
Regular Contributor

Re: Z10 Contact Transfer Possible Solution iCloud

My contacts came across perfectly through icloud without any fuss. If you don't have one, set up an icloud email account which is free for a reasonable amount of space. On your MAC in Contacts preference activate icloud. On the BB 10 once you add the icloud mail, it will add the contacts and hopefully calendar (have not got that working yet, but am cautiously optimistic).

Trusted Contributor

I would try my link and do as it asks you. Definitely a pain in the butt. I'm disappointed too but in the end it will be worth it. I love the keyboard as I always had trouble with the 9800. It was a poor way to start. 

Regular Contributor

If you use your link for the switch, how are you going to keep them up to date without a sync mechanism?