Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
ctfish
My Device: Z10 and Playbook

Z10 Contacts Completely mixed up and or missing... It makes the phone almost useless.

I am having very serious issues with my contacts. I have heard of caller ID issues and images being mixed up. But my contacts are now essentially useless. I will get calls that show one person's name, with someone else's picture - when in fact the call is coming from neither of those people.

Further, contacts will become so mixed up that some contacts are completely subsumed into another contact. Which means I cannot find the contact information for some people. The name no longer exists on the phone. It does in Outlook - but not on the phone.

For example: I want to call Mr. Brown, so I start to look for Mr. Brown in the phone app. No Mr. Brown will come up - as Mr. Brown's information is now subsumed into Mr.. Pink's information. So doing a search for Mr. Brown - only brings up Mr. Pink's information. Now I have to remember that Mr. Pink is partially Mr. Brown. Also, both sets of phone numbers are now part of Mr. Pink. So now I have to remember whose phone number is whose.

This is happening more and more, and is making the phone unusable from the point of view of trying to conduct business. If the phone cannot do the basic task of contacts and phone - this phone no longer can be considered a business tool.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this catastrophe of a phone?

Let me know.

Please use plain text.
jtd75
My Device: Z10

Re: Z10 Contacts Completely mixed up and or missing... It makes the phone almost useless.

i have the exact same problem. I tried blackberry help on twitter but they were of no help. Have you found a solution?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
keithbergoff
My Device: Z10, 9800

Re: Z10 Contacts Completely mixed up and or missing... It makes the phone almost useless.

ctfish wrote:

I am having very serious issues with my contacts. I have heard of caller ID issues and images being mixed up. But my contacts are now essentially useless. I will get calls that show one person's name, with someone else's picture - when in fact the call is coming from neither of those people.

Further, contacts will become so mixed up that some contacts are completely subsumed into another contact. Which means I cannot find the contact information for some people. The name no longer exists on the phone. It does in Outlook - but not on the phone.

For example: I want to call Mr. Brown, so I start to look for Mr. Brown in the phone app. No Mr. Brown will come up - as Mr. Brown's information is now subsumed into Mr.. Pink's information. So doing a search for Mr. Brown - only brings up Mr. Pink's information. Now I have to remember that Mr. Pink is partially Mr. Brown. Also, both sets of phone numbers are now part of Mr. Pink. So now I have to remember whose phone number is whose.

This is happening more and more, and is making the phone unusable from the point of view of trying to conduct business. If the phone cannot do the basic task of contacts and phone - this phone no longer can be considered a business tool.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this catastrophe of a phone?

Let me know.

I found that rebooting restores missing contacts, you can also try syncing with Outlook after saving existing Outlook contacts (export contacts.pst).

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
aroooz
My Device: Z10, Playbook

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

This has started happening to my mums phone today also, however mine remains unaffected as it currently stands. Both phones are setup to use the Gmail CardDAV protocol, with the only difference between the two is that mine is a google apps account, whereas hers is just your run of the mill free gmail account. 

For some reason, 59 of her individual contacts have just decided to link. No common information in any of them, with very different names, and worryingly all from the same source which according to what i've read, shouldnt be possible. Oddly enough, a few days, she complained that lots of her contacts had disappeared, but after a battery pull, all was well at the time, but now this.

Even if i unlink all 59 contacts, many of them will merge together again in smaller groups, which can make locating accounts more tricky, though not impossible. Worse is incoming calls, as it could present itself with any name from the contacts app if you havent realised that they have merged.

I've removed and re-added the account, both with and without a hard reboot inbetween,. Can't help but think that something has changed with the way the phone is reading the CardDAV protocol which is causing this, but really cant say for sure! This hasn't affected the contacts stored with Gmail as it appears to only be the virtual linking on the phone that has gone awry!

Model: Z10 STL100-2

SW: 10.2.1.537

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Please use plain text.
RobMac

[ Edited ]

I have this problem and it is causing me a major headache - I cannot use my phone as I don't know whether the number I am calling from my contact list is the person I am wanting or someone else.

It has been suggested that I delete my contacts from my phone and re-import from my laptop!!

Will let you know how I get on

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
aroooz
My Device: Z10, Playbook

Well, this weekend, I have performed the following things:

• Removed the Gmail account in it's entirety (it syncs email, contacts, and calendar) and re-added
  • Security wiped the phone
  • Security wiped the phone and re-loaded the OS
  • After re-loading the OS, setup accounts from scratch, not restore from backup

All of this, and exactly the same issue!

Really don't know where else to go with this. The phone has been absolutely fine for the 6 or 7 months we've had it, and then this, worryingly shortly after the 10.2.1 update!

Anyone have any other ideas that I can try?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sameerkuwad
My Device: Z30

Same problem here with my Z30 and Z10. after syncing with Gmail for contacts, 300 - 400 , any number of contacts link up and becomes difficult to find a specific contact.

Moreover the phone slows down so much so that even doesnt alert in any form for an incoming call.

Directly i see a missed call alert after few minutes, which i cannot access as the call detail, contacts and dial pad screen in hung.

handset has been thrive to service station and they have reset the device software as it is.

Yahoo account is also not syncing for contacts.

In a fix.

Can anyone help ?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kamkambarca

Dear All, 

I am just wondering if anybody was able to find a solution to this problem. It is the second time that this is happening to me. Bought my phone a few months ago and then recently the contacts got all mixed up and then more mixed up and then last week the phone kept crashing. 

I have reinstalled my phone again and for the first day, there were no problems, all contacts available etc but today the phone went hot for a while and now most of my contacts are missing or mixed up.

Any suggestions?

Thx

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
scrannel
My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247

I stopped sync'ing with Gmail, (but kept my Gmail account), made sure SIM contacts were not allowed and that solved it for me -- in other words, I isolated them. I use an app from BBerry World to back up my contacts..
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kamkambarca

Thanks for that. I've turned off sim contacts but all my contacts are on my email so I have rebooted the phone again so let's see. I still dont understand why two days ago after the reboot everything was fine with the phone and then it just went bezzerk...

Please use plain text.