Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
KevinSlegg
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Z10 Data Use

Hi this will be posted on another forum as well so apologies to those who read it twice.

I'm beginning my 3rd month of Z10 use.

Previously with my other phone I used 280Mb per month. Most of the time the its connected to WiFi at home or work.

However, for my last month usage the Z10 hit my 500mb limit 3 days before my monthly use expired.

This morning is the first day I have used it since the refresh. I surfed a few news pages of the internet and was on it for about 20mins (including reading pages etc) and I then decided to check what my usage was showing up at - to my surprise this was 16MB!!!

On getting to my office I downloaded some data usage info from my provider. This shows that when I turned the phone on this morning at 05:39 - when the phone should connect to my home WiFi it downloaded 6.8MB of data; then on my way in, at 06:25 (when connected to mobile internet) it downloaded 9.9MB in one go. There are other usages shown, which I assume is when I was going from page to page or on FaceBook, but the largest is about 60kb and most are significantly smaller.

This seems to me to be ridiculous and I wonder if anyone might know what could be causing it? I do not use a radio or TV service on the phone.

My provider is EE.

Thanks

Regular Contributor
orangekeeper
My Device: z10

Re: Z10 Data Use

I don't have much, but a couple of points...

What was your old device (Was it an old Blackberry)?

Do you have anything turned on in Location Services within the Settings menu? This might upload data, although I'd be surprised if it were megabytes...

Do you have any apps running in active frames that could be using data in the background?

Also, if you expected to be on WiFi but the device was downloading from your provider, you may have WiFi connection problems... Do you see any notifications coming up in the Hub saying "WiFi connection limited" at any point?

Contributor
KevinSlegg

Hi, my previous device was a Sony Xperia.

I do have Locations settings turned on.

No, there are no Apps left on.

My phone does connect to the internet - but I wonder if that takes time to 'boot-up' /connect 1st thing after its turned on; hence the initial download vai provider.

However, I'd love to now what an earth its downloading!? I just don't think it should be doing this.

Regular Contributor
orangekeeper

It might be worth trying turning the location settings etc off to see if it has any impact, but I wouldn't expect any data usage from this to be very much...

Also, I don't like to recommend paying for troubleshooting your own problem, but it might be an idea to look at some data monitoring apps on BB World. There's one that shows total data use over WiFi, USB and Mobile directly from the device as opposed to relying on carrier data...

I have effectively unlimited data usage on a 3G plan, so I've never bothered looking at how much data my device uses, but I'll keep an eye on it and post back with an update if I have one...

Contributor
KevinSlegg

Hi - Yes I was considering 'Data Monitor' but at the monent that has to be left on. In any event al it would tell me is the data that is being used - not what is using the data.

I'd be interested to hear what your use is like as well so as to compare.

Thanks

Contributor
KevinSlegg

[ Edited ]

I just plugged my phone into my laptop to charge it - and it underwent it's daily back-up. I noticed that when it was backing-up it comes off WiFi and onto the Mobile Internet. Now the back-ups finished its back onto WiFi.

Not sure why it needs to come off WiFi to do a back-up?

New Contributor
ratropia
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Is there a way to check data usage on the bb z10 or do I have to find an app that does that?

thank you, Rick T.

Contributor
KevinSlegg

Not as far as I'm aware :No:

Regular Contributor
orangekeeper

Hi again,

Since 0950 (My last reboot) so around 4hrs 20min, Data Monitor says I've used 4.56MB of data. I turned off WiFi and didn't open any other apps except from Data Monitor. I received about 2 dozen or so small text based emails, no browsing, no Facebook etc.

What apps do you have installed that could be running in the background at boot (I.e. Whats App, Blackberry Travel (maybe), etc)... I heard that certain versions of What's App and BB travel can eat away at the battery, maybe they're using data services in the background?

Contributor
KevinSlegg

Thanks

The ones I've downloaded as 'extra' are Calendar Sync, Star Tracker, PaperPusher Scanner, Ebay and Blackberry Travel.

It seems there were 2 big spikes of data - 1 when I 1st of all turmed on the phone of about 6.8MB; and then 1 when I was travelling on the train of about 9.9 which downloaded over 11 seconds!!!