Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Z10 Exchange 2003 - 300 MB Data usage in 7 hours

John_Clark wrote:
I'm guessing they care. I have it on good authority that this has been escalated high up at BlackBerry. However, you should still contact your carrier and get the issue escalated. The more reports the faster something will be done.

Especially if you are not on a 2003 Exchange server using active sync, as this is where they have found the issue. If you are having it over POP or IMAP, definitely call your carrier and ask to be escalated.. They need to be aware it is happening elsewhere as well, and they will need log files to sort it out.. :smileyhappy:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Regular Contributor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: TELUS

Exchange 2003 and active sync and z10 is a known problem. The problem isn't z10 but the old active sync with exchange 2003. Went through painful tests with both ms and bb. Fortunately we migrated to exchange 2013 with bes10. And it works perfectly. All of our problems with syncing. Notes/tasks/calendars and the hard delete problem went away instantly. So long story short here you have to complain to ms. Ms position is they are to releasing any fixes as exchange 2003 isn't supported any longer for updates etc There are some hot fixes for exchange 2003 which makes it better but it is still bad....... Short answer update your exchange. You will be very pleased with the results
New Contributor
My Carrier: T-Mobile, vodafone, o2

No. It's not that easy! If it were only to blame Exchange 2003 then please explain why iOS since the first impelementation of ActiveSync, Android and WP7 and 8 don't have this problem?!

This is a major bug and looks like it is on Blackberrys side.

A lot of companies don't see the need to update to Exchange 2007/2013 whatever. 2003 works fine most of the time.

Greetings
Erik
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook & 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Sure. Blame Microsoft for a problem with only blackberry! We've been using ios devices on our same server without issue.

You start by saying that there is a known problem between z10, activesync and exchange 2003.

Known to whom? I haven't seen any technical bulletin or response officially.

We had to get our carrier to waive data charges and we are raising the issue.

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

There are definitely issues with the Z10 and it's interface with Exchange 2003. However, to say there is or has been no issue with other devices like iOS is just not true. While it's probably not the same problem, the 6.1 update to iOS caused major issues with high server logging Exchange in many cases. See the article linked below and you can find many more with a Google search.

http://msexchangeguru.com/2013/02/12/ios-6-1-issues/

I believe a fix has was released just this week for the iOS issue. I have no idea if BB can get a fix out in a month like Apple did.

So, you can't blame Microsoft when other devices are working correctly with Exchange 2003 but it's unfair to say there are no issues with other devices.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
My Device: Iphone 4 - S3 - Z10 - PlayBook - Nexus 7
My Carrier: Super Duper Scooby Doo Network

i AGREE .  There is something wrong.. But not with each device.. 3 work as expected. The other 1 (maybe 2) don't.

Running a report on the w3c logs for iis shows that two of the z10s record 5843 and 1796 hits in a 14 hour period., They sync 3051 and 1479 time. And have a pink of 2781 and 313.

the three z10s without the issue show 370 to 200 hits. 175 to 116 for ping and 120 to 187 for sync.

the z10 that is draining quickly receives at MOST 60 emails in a day... Where the z10s without issue are recieving over 100 emails (auto generated from systems such as inventory etc)

Contributor

Jjang wrote:
Exchange 2003 and active sync and z10 is a known problem. The problem isn't z10 but the old active sync with exchange 2003. Went through painful tests with both ms and bb. Fortunately we migrated to exchange 2013 with bes10. And it works perfectly. All of our problems with syncing. Notes/tasks/calendars and the hard delete problem went away instantly. So long story short here you have to complain to ms. Ms position is they are to releasing any fixes as exchange 2003 isn't supported any longer for updates etc There are some hot fixes for exchange 2003 which makes it better but it is still bad....... Short answer update your exchange. You will be very pleased with the results

Thats a bit of a fail isn't it?

A new exchange server is coming once the SAN is purchased (40k$).  But regardless, the price to upgrade to exchange 2010 is 18000 including Cals.  A physical server cost 15000$.   

Thats alot of money to upgrade to fix active sync issues that none of the other phones or tablets are having(we have 12 playbooks activated) 

Contributor
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

Obviously it is a BB10 problem. And I am sure they can fix it. With all the good stuff they have done so far I have no doubt.

Logically it is a BB10 issue for several reasons:

1. Other mobile solutions do not have the same issue with Exchange 2003 – I read
  2. The issue does not appear to be there when data networking is off and wifi is on. At least in my  experience I did not see any battery drain.
    Note that this issue is only there when Push is set to ON ! When set to OFF there is no issue

So if the issue is not there on wifi only, when data is turned off, it should be easy to track down.

If this is not possible (which I doubt) then at least fake it.

Identify when an account is set up with Exchange 2003 and in the code call the routine that takes care of the ‘Push’ OFF scenario with a 5 or 10 or 30 second interval. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since our devices are activated on BES 10, the users can NOT set the sync to manual..  I would have to create a new email profile and push it to the affected users, which is easy enough, but then why would they want a phone with further delayed emails?

They might as well go back to their old phones.

Contributor
My Carrier: Bell

adrenaline_x ~ Agree. No doubt it has to be fixed. And I am sure it will be.