Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
akshaychadha
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Vodafone

Z10 - Gmail not syncing !!!!

Got my Z10 two days back and believe it or not - I'm still trying to troubleshoot the phone. I have 4 gmail accounts set up. Mail Delivery on the device is showing up in time. Its just that when I read a message it doesnt sync with gmail and gmail on my laptop shows all emails as unread. Furthermore when I delete emails on the device - no change again - my laptop still show the email as unread. Having this issue with all gmail accounts. Have spent over a day trying to figure this out and can't seem to come up with a solution. Have wiped the device and re-setup 3 times. It just doesn't work. 

I absolutely love the phone, and have even reconciled to accepting some minor flaws in the functions of the new OS but this is just not working out for me. If this goes unresolved for a week, I'm seriously considering going back to my Torch 9860 !

BLACKBERRY PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Z10 - Gmail not syncing !!!!

Hello,

How, exactly, did you integrate those accounts to your BB? Depending on how you did it, that may explain the problem (e.g., via the wizard, it may have integrated as POP, and may not therefore have full reconciliation available). For me, I integrated not via the wizard, but rather using the Advanced settings screens, and specifying:

• Server Address: m.google.com
  • Port: 443
  • SSL: On
  • VPN: Off
  • Push: On

You may further need to first, via the GMail interface, ensure that you've activated IMAP...GMail gives you the option of what to face for other client access, and IMAP is needed for things to work properly (and is not, I believe, "on" by default within the Google configuration for accounts hosted there).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
akshaychadha

Thanks for the reply my firend. Yes IMAP is activated on Gmail. I switched from a Torch 9860. The mailboxes were working fine with that device. As for the setup, all the parameters you mentioned are exactly what I have except for the server address. What I have is: imap.gmail.com as against m.google.com that you have specified. Not too sure if that is correct. As per Gmail it should be imap.gmail.com

However, will try and set up manually through the advanced tab instead of the wizard, although it does carry the same settings. 

Will revert once I try it. Lets hope it works. Thanks for helping out.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

And do try m.google.com...I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but I can tell you I have full 2-way reconciliation with 9 GMail accounts using those settings on my Z10...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
akshaychadha

m.google.com doesn't work with my account. And the smtp port which works is 465. Also Push is ON Sync Interval is 15 minutes (thats the min) All folders are subscribed to....

Did set up manually through the advanced tab - Nothing !!! Device actions are just not affecting the mailbox. Also, I just noticed that I have filtersfor incoming mail (i.e. Labels are applied to specific users) Emails which go into folders dont show up until I manually select the folder after selecting the mailbox. Its like trying to manually check if I have an email.  

This is completely ridiculous. The way things are going I don't think I can last even a week with the Z10.

If anyone can help please please respond - I don't want to be using the Z10 as a paperweight !!!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

akshaychadha wrote:

m.google.com doesn't work with my account. And the smtp port which works is 465. 

Odd...I cannot tell you why yours is different from mine...maybe it has to do with how GMail changed things. I can't recall exactly what they did, but they did something, and "legacy" people were allowed access, while "newbies" were blocked. I wish I could recall more details for you...

akshaychadha wrote:

Also Push is ON Sync Interval is 15 minutes (thats the min)

Isn't that contradictory? With PUSH on, there should be no ability to even select anything for a sync interval...so that confuses me a bit...

akshaychadha wrote:

All folders are subscribed to....

As in, in the BB mail config, selected for synchronization to the device? If so, that might tend to clutter things up a bit. Remember, BlackBerry has never shown an "inbox"...rather, it's a messages list, receiving input from multiple things. With other folders activated for sync, they get displayed in the Messages list as well, requiring you to then go to the actual Inbox if that's what you want to see...

I wish I could tell you why yours is so different from mine...I recommend searching this site for others who have had similar issues and seeing if perhaps others have posted "fixes" that might work for you.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
akshaychadha

Thanks a lot mate,

what can I say.........Been holding the switch to iPhone for 2 years waiting for this device and I just feel like a prime piece of S&%T after buying the Z10. I can't for the life of me figure out why something basic like this wouldn't work.

But, tell me something - don't you have the same options in your email set-up ( I mean the sync interval - it just below the Push option)  And yes, I always did get all my messages as list of conversations (even from the folders) Now it only displays the inbox...

Do let me know if your email set-up has the same parameters (By the way, the VPN off option you mentioned is in Networks section in case if it shows in your mailbox set-up then there is definitely a variance in the os that you and I have

Once again thanks for all your help...

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

akshaychadha wrote:

But, tell me something - don't you have the same options in your email set-up ( I mean the sync interval - it just below the Push option) 

It's there, it's just grayed out and unusable whenever PUSH is ON. I can set only the Sync Timeframe there.

akshaychadha wrote:

Do let me know if your email set-up has the same parameters (By the way, the VPN off option you mentioned is in Networks section in case if it shows in your mailbox set-up then there is definitely a variance in the os that you and I have

Here is a screenshot (my OS is 10.0.9.2372 -- since I'm in the US and the device is not yet technically available here, my carrier hasn't released the 10.0.10.xxx that others are presently getting):

IMG_00000007.png

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
akshaychadha

The screenshot shows that you are setting this through ActiveSync which is not available for my gmail account. Any tips on how to set this up / activate it for gmail???

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

As I said before, Google changed things, but I can't recall exactly what or when...so I suggested you do some searching of other threads so as to find that information for yourself...I guess you decided not to do that...so here's one:

One of the posts in there has exact instructions as to integrating a GMail account as ActiveSync (which is I believe how I integrated mine...it's been a month since I did so). Another post (in that thread) talks about which GMail accounts are eligible for ActiveSync and which are not. However, to my recollection, that post is not 100% accurate...what I recall is that GMail cut off ActiveSync access for free accounts CREATED after those dates, but free accounts that already existed on those dates would have ActiveSync available.

Again, I may be mis-recalling the details...but I continue to encourage you to search these forums for other threads that may be on point to your quest.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.