Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

Z10 Google Maps Issue

I found what looks like a good easy solution that is working for me with Google Maps.

Do the following on your Z10.

Log in to Google under your user account. If you do not have one, then register. You can use a PC to do the registration part.

On the Z10, do a search for Google Maps, or use the link below. Then log in to the maps.

https://maps.google.com/

When map site loads, you may get a banner warning about the font size. Tap on "dismiss".

I would have preferred if I can use the two finger pinch for zooming, but the + - must be used.

You can then save the link to the Z10 Desktop. Now it will work very much like the map program.  I tried it for traffic, and the various other layers. It worked well for me.  I have not yet did the location, but I have a feeling it will work when I am outdoors.  :smileyhappy:

Jerry G.
jvlatchwk
My Device: Playbook 64M and Blackberry Z10

Re: Z10 Google Maps Issue

[ Edited ]

I've tried this after reading this post. It seems to be a great work around -- better than the native map app

Contributor
GordM
My Device: Z10 Version 10.0.10.672 release 10.0.10.85

Thanks for the info. Although it isn't as intuitive as the Google maps I had on my torch, it will work. And the two finger pinch works on mine. The BB maps looks good, but I can't get it to do anything.

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

I found with the web based Google maps that works with the Z10, the pinch for zooming is working now. I suspect Google did some kind of update. Also, I no longer see a text size warning.

If the Blackberry maps are loaded one time only with Accept and allowed to run the next time without the Accept confirmation, the Google maps GPS feature should work when the user is signed in to the Google maps with the phone.

What I found annoying with the web based Google maps is if the user closes the app or link, he has to sign in again. For some reason the sign in is not written to a cookie, or this app is not written to remember the user sign in.

Jerry G.
Contributor
jsbatlanta
My Device: Z10

The map app that came with my AT&T Z10 SUCKS!!!  It won't budge.  I can zoom but I can't expand the map.  Can I delete it and replace it with something better?

Thanks

Forums Advisor III
drewread

There are lots of other options available in Blackberry World. :smileyhappy:

I bought Magellan Compass on my Playbook, and it was ported to BB10 - and I didn't have to pay for it again! It is complex but very full featured, and now that I have learned most of its functions I find it pretty darned complete.

Waze is also another I have been playing with a bit.

There are also others available to you. Go to the BB World app, chose "Apps" from the bottom left menu item, then click the "Categories" Icon and chose "Navigation and Travel" and then finally "Maps and Navigation" There is lots to enjoy. :smileyhappy:

Of course I am sure we will see lots of improvement in Blackberry Navigation in the near future as well. :smileyhappy:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
New Contributor
parvnder
My Device: z10

it does not work. lousy experience. 

Forums Advisor III
drewread

What does not work?
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
New Contributor
parvnder
My Device: z10

The Google maps in Web browser. BlackBerry maps is absolutely useless in singapore. I think I made a mistake of choosing Z10. So far the experience is bad.
New Contributor
jasdeepwalia
My Device: Blackberry z10 white

Absolutely brilliant recommendation. Works well and smooth. Pinch zoom everything.