Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
WallyUK
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Z10 + Internal Email Server

Hi All,

What's the recommended setup for accessing my e-mails from an internal (unix) email server on the new z10 device?  Previously, BIS for Email would have made this possible, however this is no longer an option.  One option I have considered is to setup the device with an externally accessible email account and forward emails from the internal server across.  This isn't ideal as any emails sent from the device will be from the external email address and not the internal one.

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Z10 + Internal Email Server

How did BIS access it by pop or IMAP?

Z10 can access both of those direct

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

From a server perspective, there is little difference. BIS required access to an internet-facing email system. ActiveSync on the Z10 also requires the same. So I'm not sure how BIS solved a problem that the Z10 cannot for you...if BIS could access the email server, then the Z10 also should be able to (internet-facing POP, IMAP, or EAS).

So, if you could perhaps expand on the difference there, we might better be able to understand your situation and help find a solution.

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
WallyUK

Thanks for the quick replies.  The internal e-mail server (unix) forwards the e-mails across to the BIS e-mail accounts, so BIS doesn't physically access the server?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh. So, on the BB, you had an @BB or @carrier email account, to which the unix internal server was forwarding. Got it.

Those accounts are typically only accessible from a BIS-enabled BB. Since the Z10 does not use BIS, you cannot access those accounts. The thing to do is change the forwarding (on your unix host) to something else (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) and then integrate that account to the BB. You will be abandoning the BIS hosted email account, so be sure to check anyplace that you may have used that email address and likewise redirect it.

For safety, you can (for as long as your carrier allows the account to remain alive) enable a forwarding rule on the hosted account. You would do that via your carriers BIS website (from a PC/browser) or by ringing them up to ask them to place the forward for you.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
WallyUK

I'm tring not go down this route as the emails sent from the device will be from the other account (gmail or similiar) and not the internal e-mail  I have tried setting the device to reply from the server address, however this only works on behalf of.  Are there any other options available here?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Not that I've yet found. "On behalf of" is the best I've been able to find so far. True "send as" does not seem to exist on the device itself. If you can find a provider that will integrate to the BB and enable true server-based "Send As", then that would be perhaps a viable solution.

But...is that different from before? Could you, with the hosted email account on the pre-BB10 device, do a true "send as"? (Sorry, I just never had a use for a hosted account, so I do not necessarily know all of their inner workings.)

But, this is not a unique BB issue...any ActiveSync device would have this problem. The hosted account solution existed in the past, but did not ever exist for other mobile devices as far as I know. How do those get handled in your situation? Whatever that is, it would logically follow to use that same solution now for the BB10 devices.

We are all hopeful that BlackBerry is listening to all of these concerns and will make some other capabilities available in the future, but it's impossible to know what or when (or even if!) those will happen, so all we can deal with is how it functions today.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.