Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Forums Advisor I
Arsen
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb

Z10 Internet Tethering - HotSpot vs Bluetooth vs USB - Internet Speed diffrence.

Now that I have my Z10 for about a week and figured out to actually use it day to day for my business, I love it, Yeah the first day I wanted to throw it against the wall when I found out that Outlook USB sync was not in BB Link. I am still waiting for this.. No cloud for me.. we all have our reasons.

The thing I wanted to share was Internet Tethering to my Laptop which is very important part of my work. I am always on the go and need Internet access. Yes the new Z10 rocks as a browser, but we sometimes need a computer to do complex stuff quickly.

I did a test with my Z10 internet speed tests with Hotspot, Bluetooth Tethering & USB direct connection & Tethering. I must say the setup was so easy and straight forward.. A lot easier than setting up as a dial up modem. From my un scientific tests, I found the following to be the fastest.

1. USB to PC Tethering - average of 22.3 mbps for download and 8 mbps upload.

2. Hotspot to PC tethering as a Wi-Fi - average of 9.8 Mbps download and 1.9 Mbps upload

3. Bluetooth Tethering - average of 1.1 Mbps Download and 1.4 Mbps upload. - I was really shocked with this, so I tested it 3 times and similar results. I thought Bluetooth would be better than Wi-Fi..

I think I can now get rid of my Bell USB Stick and save my self $30 per month on internet access for my computer.  I wanted to share this info for people who use this feature on the go like my self.

Please use plain text.
dsribalaji
My Device: Z10

Re: Z10 Internet Tethering - HotSpot vs Bluetooth vs USB - Internet Speed diffrence.

[ Edited ]

Hello, Thanks for info on Tethering. One quick question - is it possible to make Z10 as a Hotspot Tethering option (wirelessly as Wifi) to an Android Phone / Tablet. Cheers.

Please use plain text.
yohanesw
My Device: z10

Re: Z10 Internet Tethering - HotSpot vs Bluetooth vs USB - Internet Speed diffrence.

Hi, may I know how do u setup bluetooth tether for z10
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
Arsen

dsribalaji wrote:

Hello, Thanks for info on Tethering. One quick question - is it possible to make Z10 as a Hotspot Tethering option (wirelessly as Wifi) to an Android Phone / Tablet. Cheers.

Yes of course. I use the hot spot with my tablet. With Wi-Fi Hotspot it is like any other wifi access. Any computer, tablet or other smart phone can connect.  

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
Arsen

yohanesw wrote:
Hi, may I know how do u setup bluetooth tether for z10

Here are the basic steps.

• Go into settings(swipe from top down)
  • Select Network settings
  • For Mobile Hot Spot, click on the icon and it will take you through the steps.

IMG_00000002.png

• For USB or Bluetooth do the following steps
  • Select Internet thethering.
  • For USB its the fastst and easiest setup. Connect your z10 to your laptop or computer(I only know windows)
  • Select Via USB instead of Bluetooth
  • Follow the screen setup.
  • Once connected
  • You will need to go into windows control panel and select Network and Sharing Centre
  • Select Change Adapter Settings and select the network that has Blackberry Device.
  • The same steps for bloetooth , but you need to connect via Bluethooth to comptuer first, then select bluetooth as the connection and in Adapter settings select the bluetooth connection icon in windows.

IMG_00000004.png

IMG_00000005.png

adaptor settings.JPG

USB connection.JPG

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BKRMSA
My Device: BlackBerry playbook

I have turned connected to my home wireless network in order to try and connect to my computer using blackberry link.  however that is as far as I have gotten.  WHat are the missing steps if anyone can direct me.

thanks

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
qdruok
My Device: z10

Currently unable to get on the internet when using USB tethering.  The hotspot and bluetooth works.

USB tethering worked once when i first tried it, but now it doesn't work anymore.

The problem has something to do with DNS not configuring, I think.

I've made sure to set my BB to Internet Tethering,  USB, plug in the USB cable to both.

Then

In Windows 7,  when I go to the Network adapters, and open Properties for my BB, the DHCP address is a 192.168.  address,  not an internet IP.

Question:   Is the USB tethering turning my phone into a  "Router" or a Network adapter?   

If it is a router then what is the DNS IPs?

If is a network adapter,  should it not be using the IP I'm assigned from my wireless service provider?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.