Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Z10 Map Connectivity Issues

OK, I have a few questions regarding the map functions on my Z10 which I'm hoping the community can help clear up.  My previous phone was an HTC Amaze and although I am much happier with the Z10, the one thing which worked very well with the Android Phone was the maps.

I have T-Mobile service which is not very good in the Frederick, Maryland area.  We recently moved from San Antonio, Texas where it was much better.  With location services turned on. my native Z10 Maps finds my current location at home and destination, and then plans the route without issue.  However, as I drive towards my destination, it continually loses connectivity (data) and then the map just freezes up.  This tells me that it is solely relying on data connectivity to navigate and that it is not pulling location from the GPS satellites.  Is this how the Z10 Maps software was designed?

Out of frustration, I sideloaded the Google Maps onto my Z10 and everything looks great.  It immediately locates my location, any destination I want, but as soon as I begin navigating, it says "Satellite Signal Lost" and never comes back again.  If I end route and start over, it once again finds the location, the route, and as soon as I start moving reports Satellites lost again.

I've researched online extensively and can't seem to find how the GPS functions work on the Z10.  Only that "location services" must be turned on.  But apparently, location services only includes data from cell towers and not location from GPS satellites?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Z10 Map Connectivity Issues

The maps app requires data connectivity to download maps. The GPS signal should stay but the devices also rely on cell tower connectivity to assist the GPS so that could be somewhat unreliable, as well when connectivity is lost.

As for the Google maps app, if it's sideloaded it's not been found to be compatible and issues like the one you describe could happen. I'm not saying not to sideload apps, I have many, I'm just saying that results may not be consistent.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!