Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Z10 Screen Notifications

Hi all,

I just got my new Z10 a few days ago.  Before having a Z10, I used Iphone.

I am wondering if it is by default that new texts, emails or updates from other applications won't get displayed on screen while in idle mode. 

For iphone, if there is a new text, it will always pop up on the screen letting know.

But Z10 doesn't seem to do so. 

I can see the icons showing when I swipe up to unlock the screen. 

I have looked into Setting->Notifications tab, but there are only few options, 1.sound, 2. vibrate, and 3. LED. 

Am I missing anything ? 

Or is it just how Z10 is designed (useing LED)?

Thanks,

Arthur

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Z10 Screen Notifications

The Lock Screen shows you that you have new Email, voicemail, text message etc. Also the RED Let notifies you that there is a new message. The z10 is designed to have all your notifications in the HUB. To peek at your hub scroll left or do the guesture of up and right. At first everthing seems diffrent with the z10, but after several days of use, you realize what a great feature the hub is. The peek and flow is a great tool.  There is a couple of days of learning curve with a new phone and new OS, but for me , after 2 months now, I love it. The multi-tasking is truly amazing, the hub, the browser is the best on any smart phone,,  Play around with it for a while until you figure it out. There are a lot of hidden tricks that help you do things . There are some posts on tips and tricks in the forum. 

Highlighted
Forums Advisor III
My Carrier: Rogers

In addition to Arsen's great note about the hub i will add the following:

Once you see that LED notification come on (this is the first indication that you have a notification)

1. From whereever you are working outside of the Hub. Swipe straight up from the bottom bezel and keep your finger on the screen.
  2. Now on the left you will now see a count of your notifications with icons for each type.
  3. From here you decide do I want to look further into the notification I received.
    1. If no, simply return your finger to the bottom and you are back at work.
    2. If yes, then slowly slide your finger to the right and "peek" at the Hub listing (if you left your hub at the hub list the last time you were there).
  4. Then you again get to decide what you want to do:
    1. If you decide to follow up and read the incoming message, bbm, notifictaion, etc. Continue swipe right into the hub and lift your finger.
    2. You decide not to deal with things, simply slide your finger back left and down and you are right back where you started.. and you can continue working until the next time you see that red led.. when you can peek and flow again. Smiley Happy

This action will become very fast and reflexive, and you will find it less interrupting than having the other type of notification pop up while you are busy working on something else more important. This way you chose when you want to deal with things, not your device. Smiley Happy

FYI - If you are in the hub already and working on something you can touch and hold the lower left back icon (it will turn blue on the left side), and then slowly peek back into the hub from there by dragging it to the right. again you make the decision to continue into the hub and follow up or go back to your previous work. Smiley Happy

Enjoy.

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
My Carrier: AT&T

My question is how can i see who the message was from to decide if I want to unlock the device to read it. Convenience is to know when or when not to have to go through the above steps.
The iPhone allows you to see a list of items that have come in and let you decide if you want to look at them or not. the BB makes you log in and go to the HUB to determine if you want to read email or not.