Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
NCMI
My Device: Z10

Z10 - Slow Mail Sync?

I set up an Exchange email account. I previously had a Torch and it was set-up through BES. 

The mail is being pushed to the device... but at an alarmingly slow rate. I will see message appear in Outlook on my desktop 5-10 minutes earlier than it appears on my Blackberry.

Any thoughts?

Contributor
wcbwcb

Re: Z10 - Slow Mail Sync?

I have a similar problem and sadly, I don't think there's currently a solution. My old Bold used BES and it was perfect. Now, I use ActiveSync for my paid Google mail and the fastest frequency is 15 mins. It's rather frustrating and I'm not sure why this is, since my coworkers on Android and iPhones using ActiveSync don't have this problem.

I sure hope Blackberry fixes this soon. In my field the 15 mins delay is really annoying but tolerable. My husband is in finance and no way would he put up with this. He's still using the Bold and planned to go with the Q10 when it's released but will move onto Android instead if the email delay isn't resolved, a sentiment shared by many of my coworkers who are considering a BB10 phone.
New Contributor
NCMI

Ugh! That's awful. 

I ended up exchanging the Z10 for a new one yesterday. The device was barely a week old and the Bluetooth antenna didn't work on it either. All and all it was a six hour project during an extremely busy time of the year. Luckily, our phone provider (Telus) was exceptional in helping out. 

This particular device is for my boss. I use ActiveSync on an iPhone for my work email and it's worked seamlessly from day one.... 

In any case, the new phone has been set-up for about 14 hours and no problems or delays... yet. 

Forums Advisor III
drewread

NCMI wrote:

I set up an Exchange email account. I previously had a Torch and it was set-up through BES. 

The mail is being pushed to the device... but at an alarmingly slow rate. I will see message appear in Outlook on my desktop 5-10 minutes earlier than it appears on my Blackberry.

Any thoughts?

Are you connecting to the Exchange server using ActiveSync? I am currently only using IMAP accounts and there is an option to turn on "Use push if supported" in my account settings on the Z10. Is this option available in an ActiveSync account, if so is it turned on?

For me this setting seems to override the 15min setting and emails come in instantaneously. In fact using IMAP with push support I am receiving emails faster on my Z10 than I am receiving them in Outlook 2010.

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Contributor
wcbwcb

Hi drewread, I have push turned on, but it doesn't make a difference. Is there another setting I should double check? Thanks.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

No, that should do it.

Maybe try deleting the account from your device, rebooting the phone with a battery pull and try re installing the account?

If that fails to start things flowing, then may I suggest calling your carrier for support? They should escalate you to BlackBerry support if they don't have a solution.
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
New Contributor
NCMI

Hi drewread - I did exactly what you suggest earlier in the week. 

I am shocked that the classic "battery pull" is still a standby means of reset for Blackberry. Give me a break!!

In any case, Telus deemed the device defective. I woulnd't be surprised if wcbwcb is experiencing the same. 

Forums Advisor III
drewread

@NCMI - the battery pull is simply a way to make sure that nothing remains in memory, much as you would reboot your PC after making a major change. You don't have to do it of you don't want to, it is simply a friendly suggestion. :smileyhappy:

Another post on this forum with the same issue has suggested that calling your carrier and getting the service books resent to the device will fix the issue. Also worth a try, and if the suggestions from the users here don't work for you, the procedure for official support is to call your carrier (for tier 1 blackberry support) and if they are unable to help as to be upped to tier 2 which is a blackberry call centre. :smileywink:
Contributor
StrawBerryZ10
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

[ Edited ]

Same issue here.

My GoDaddy email takes up to THIRTY minutes to reach my Z10. I've tried all the suggestions in this thread. I even tried Hosted Exchange but that was sloppy as well. I'm not paying $150/ year (or whatever it works out) for emails that come in when they feel like it- almost at random. I want NEAR-INSTANT email.

If my FREE Hotmail emails can come in literally within 5 SECONDS, then why should I have to wait up to 5-10 MINUTES for a paid account to deliver emails to the same device, or up to 30 minutes for the slightly cheaper option (IMAP)? Neither delay is acceptable.

I'm not asking for too much- my previous BlackBerry, a Bold 9780, was pretty much instantaneous with this same GoDaddy account. Now I need to get the same experience on my Z10.

As it stands, upgrading my phone has, in one sense, downgraded my experience. I know there is no BIS any more, but I'm convinced there must still be a way to fix this stupid problem.

I'm resigned to the fact that Hosted Exchange will be a poor experience, so IMAP idle is what I want to try next.

Does anyone know of any hosting providers who have IMAP idle support? GoDaddy and Hostgator don't- so we can rule them out for starters....

New Contributor
NCMI

Hey @StrawBerryZ10 

Glad I'm not alone out there. After exchanging the Z10 at Telus (twice) we are now experiencing the same problem.

We've deleted/re-added the email account, re-started our internal server, wifi, the works. Email Sync has stopped working entirely today. Overall, it is highly unreliable and we are growing increasingly frustrated. 

Best of luck - keep me posted if you find a solution!