Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
StrawBerryZ10
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Re: Z10 - Slow Mail Sync?

[ Edited ]

Rogers finally rolled out a firmware update yesterday for my particular Z10 (taking me from 10.0.0.85 to 10.1.0.273) so I think I'll post an update now.

The massive 337MB update made no difference to this particular issue (I guess unsurprisingly, as it's not a "bug" as such anyway, more an expected side-effect of removing BIS support) but did fix a ton of other things that were bugging me- as well as numerous unexpected improvements.

At this point, 2 of my 3 email accounts deliver email pretty much instantly to my Z10, so I'm nearly there now.

Just to put things in perspective: the Z10 is the best phone I've ever had by a country mile.

I know I moan a lot on the forums, but that's the point of forums!

The OS is very stable (no crashes or freezes), very quick to navigate (gestures), very logically organized (Hub). It's amazing how intelligent the auto-correct is. You can SERIOUSLY mistype a word, and it will almost always change it to what you intended to type. The web browser is astounding- helps having a massive screen.

No one mentions it, but there is a little feature hidden away which allows you to make the Z10 a wifi-enabled storage device. Now, instead of tethering via USB to my PC to move photos to my PC, I just enable wifi on my Z10, then type "\\(MyParticularZ10'sHostname)" on my PC, type my username and password, and suddenly I'm wirelessly accessing it- at speeds and ranges Bluetooth couldn't dream of matching.... although Bluetooth is there as well).

There are just so many fantastic, well-implemented features. The screen size is very large, but not big enough to make it unwieldy. I'd recommend people try removing "Calls" from their Hub view- as in my case I found I occassionally made a phone call to someone when going through my messages- so keeping messages and calls separate works best for me. I just use the native "Phone" app when I want to see anything related to calls (history, or making a call).

The camera flash LED is ultra bright, just like my previous BlackBerry 9780- which is great as it allows it to double up as a capable flashlight. I got a 99 Cents app called "Flashlight" which I highly recommend as it is simple yet well designed. I'll probably keep this phone for 2-3 years or possibly even more, so no qualms about paying for apps.

The star rating distribution for the Z10 on Amazon alone speaks for itself really. None of the other phones on the market have quite such a high proportion of their users voting them 5 stars:

Sorry- I know I went off on a tangent there. Just wanted to make it clear to anyone reading this thread that this is a fantastic phone!

Will update soon with the solution when I find a host which delivers IMAP emails as fast as my Hotmail emails are coming in- probably within a few weeks (depending on when I get time).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rol801
My Device: Torch 9810 Z10 Q10 Q5 A10
My Carrier: PCCW

After days of test, i can tell all BB10 devices models (Z10/Q10/Q5) have some symtpom of "Slow initial sync" when register a normal active sync account or EA to BDS..

Figures as follow.

For all devices register a Active Sync account or BDS.. Initial sync of Email/PIM might takes mininum 30 minutes to complete . but maximum might up to 2 hours or even longer.

during this time.. device download Email message batch by batch  (e.g. first batch is messages in past 2 days only).. then it will stop and wait for next couple minutes....

during this time window.. if you try to add a PIM (for my test , new contacts).. synchronization will not happen until Initial Sync complete...   you have to check compare the oldest message in outlook and device.... and check numbers of contact to identify initial sync been complete or not....

when i found numbers of messages/PIM are the same.. I will add some new contacts from/to outlook

but from my case.. you might need to wait an extra time after sync complete... and then the sync will resume automatically.. 2 way sync for PIM can complete within 15 seconds..

A ticket been raise to blackberry because we have 2 users encountering contact 1 way sync after account configure in device.....

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Vistaro
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

I've got the same problem. Pretty much given up on BlackBerry now. IPhone here I come.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fschutrumpf
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I have the same problem.  Godaddy used to work fine, but with the Z10, I might as well just switch to a Motorola Razr, the email is so f'ing bad, the whole Blackberry Z10 is just a candidate for the trash. 

Here's what Blackberry should do:

1.  When Satursday's' emails to my Godaddy account come in mid-day Sunday, (already having cost me $100's in lost business) they should show a delivered time of mid day Sunday (show in the hub based on delivery time, not sent time)  That way I can at least apologize to my customers and slander BB (sorry, I have a Z10, please forgive the inability for normal technology to work on this device).  As it stands now, I don't scroll down the 300 messages to see emails that were mysteriously delivered not 15 minutes late but many hours late.

2.  Blackberry should really fix its act and make it's software more robust asap.  This device is so f'ing frustrating and inconsistently buggy.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fschutrumpf

Did anybody get this resolved?

It's gone from bad to worse on my device.  I didn't get Godady email at all for the past 2-3 days. Then it all came in - each message 4x, but when I try to actually read a message, "the message body can't be downloaded".  Godaddy is pretty firm that their service hasn't changed, and it did use to work fine on the OS7 BB devices. I don't see complaints like this from iPhone and Android users either. 

Is there hope, or should I switch to another brand of phone?  Not getting work email for multiple days is completely unacceptable and I could have bought a new $600 phone numerous times for the cost of lost productivity this email problem is causing..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StrawBerryZ10

[ Edited ]

I just got an auto email when fschutrumpf replied, so I thought I'd chip in with an update, as we are now coming up to 1 year later.

The issue discussed in this thread is not fixed, and looks like it never will be. BlackBerry are too busy firing their entire workforce and trying to find someone to buy them to deal with the actual effective day-to-day running of the business.

As a workaround, I did the following:

Hotmail and other IMAP messages come straight to my phone, but there is a delay from my business' GoDaddy email account (up to 30 minutes... totally unacceptable). Sure, I can do a manual sync to pull any emails in which are not yet on the phone, but 30 minutes is craptastic and not acceptable in 2014.

Out of sheer frustration (I need business emails to hit my phone instantly in case they are urgent), I set up a forwarding rule on my GoDaddy account, which forwards my work emails to "MyCompanyNameFORWARDER@live.ca" (a dedicated Hotmail account I set up for this workaround).

Note that you can also do this with an ALIAS on your personal Hotmail account, but I would advise against that as your Hotmail inbox will get cluttered up with copies of your business emails. If you try to deal with this using a mail folder and a sorting rule, you will find the emails don't get delivered to your phone unless they can go in to the main Hotmail inbox itself. For this reason, I advise creating an entirely new Hotmail account for instant mail forwarding purposes.

Anyway, at this stage (mail forwarding set up to an account using ActiveSync), a copy of my emails is sent to my Hotmail inbox instantly, as soon as it arrives in my business inbox.

The next step is simply adding this new Hotmail account to my BB10 device, so there is a route emails can take to instantly reach the phone.

Email comes in GoDaddy account -> forwarded to Hotmail account via forwarding rule set up in GoDaddy Control Panel -> forwarded to Z10 instantly as corresponding Hotmail account is added on Z10.

It works well (delay reduced from 30 minutes to under 20 seconds), just remember to reply to these emails from your BUSINESS email, instead of from your dummy Hotmail account used to deliver them quickly to your device.

The other issue with this workaround to remember is that, after 30 minutes, the slower email will reach your phone the traditional IMAP route, and you will see duplicates. I periodically switch my Hub view to only show my Hotmail forwarding account, then I can purge all the duplicates in a couple of seconds.

I hope that makes sense. All you need is to set up a free Hotmail account (or whatever else works for you), then connect it to your email with a forwarding rule, and hook it up to your BB10 device.

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE:

I was disappointed that headless apps are still not available in the way we were led to believe they would be. BeBuzz Pro is still sitting there with an active frame, even though I only need it running to change the LED colours (which should be a native feature anyway).

My Z10 is a great phone, but I am open minded about what my next phone will be in 5 years or so!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fschutrumpf

This is a great response and makes sense.  My only qualm about adopting this is how do you reply when it may be 30 - 2400 minutes til the other, original email comes in on your genuine work account?  Do you toggle to the genuine account and copy / paste from the forwarding hotmail account?  Do you just cut and paste the subject line (cut and paste is difficult for me with the Z10 and add "RE:" in front of the subject and ignore the notion of having the email thread at the bottom?   It's great to have the email info faster like you advise, but the two way communication via email is something I don't quite have a clear picture for...

Thanks so much!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StrawBerryZ10

[ Edited ]

Don't worry... it's much easier in practice than you think! I've been doing this for months now.

Just open the email when it arrives on your device via your forwarding account.

Everything in the message body and subject will exactly the same as if you had opened it in your business account. The way the mail forwarding works internally on the GoDaddy system means that the mail is not forwarded in the same way as when you use a mail client to forward an email to someone. The recipient name will still be your business email address - there is no need to "tidy up" the message body to avoid confusion at the other end. The subject will not say "RE:" until your reply to it. It doesn't look like there was a middle man.

The only thing you need to do is, after clicking on "reply", clicking on your forwarding email address at the top (opening the "from" drop-down menu) and choosing your actual business email address to reply from. If you don't do this, your recipient will see "mybusinessdomainnameforwarder@hotmail.com" instead of "info@mybusinessdomainname.com", which will be confusing for them and you... as you now run the risk of them choosing to contact you at that email address instead (which you want to only work internally, rather than be public knowledge).

If you do this right, they will only ever see your business email address, and you will get your emails instantly. No confusion, just instant email.

Every so often (twice a day, depending how many emails come in really), I will switch my Hub view to only show the forwarding account emails, then I will purge everything in the forwarding account.

Remember: after 30 minutes, you already have the copy from your main business account, so there is no benefit in keeping the duplicate. The only value in the forwarding account is dealing with the 30 minute delay.

I also recommend you take advantage of the new color-coding feature they rolled out in one of the last major updates. If you go into the email account settings, you'll find an option for "account color". This feature allows you to choose a color for emails received via different email accounts (only email accounts, not SMS or other apps such as WhatsApp).

For example: I have my personal Hotmail set to green, an important business I help through a support@ email account on their domain set to yellow, and BOTH my business and business forwarding set to red. The use of red for both of the last two allows my brain deal with duplicates more easily.

If you use different colors for both it will just get confusing (having the same color makes it easier to get your brain around what is going on with less conscious effort).

Color.JPG

bb10-cala.png

Lastly: be sure to send some test emails and make sure it works the way you want (and recipients see the correct sender address) before you go live. I played around with it for a while before trusting it, but now I swear by it and don't really have any complains about my device.

One of my friends bought an Android phone recently and asked me "Do your texts get grouped together in a single chronological list along with your emails and other messages? **bleep**. I wish I bought that instead".

So I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. Nothing is perfect, but with a couple of creative workarounds, we can get pretty close. :Punk:

Please use plain text.