Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
MikeScully
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Re: Z10 Tips, Tricks and Shortcuts

Something I've noticed the last couple of days that's becoming a concern is, everytime I get in the car and turn on my Bluetooth Speakerphone,  shortly after it makes the connection with my BBZ10 (which I carry in the OEM swivel holster), music starts up and plays through the speakerphone forcing me to pull the BB from the case and manually close the music app...    Anyone with any ideas on what's causing this or can provide any tips/tricks  to correct it would be appreciated !

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
OMGitsOmie

So I got the Z10 a few days ago, and coming from iPhone 5, these are some of the things that I've noticed so far: (keep in mind that I'm not trying to compare BB10 to iOS, I'm simply comparing user friendly ideas)

• Saving pictures is a little bit pain in the **bleep**. First off when holding a finger on a picture. You get the small side column. Until you get used to what each icon on that does, you have to open it fully to see what's there.

You hit save picture, and then slowly it takes you to save link as. I realize that this option is for ppl who want to rename their pictures before saving them. I personally always leave whatever name as is.

Once you hit save, it takes you to another page, where in the middle it says "download complete" and stays on that page showing you all the pictures you've downloaded. That to me is a huge waste of time. I wanna hold a picture, hit save, and right away continue with my work. Without having to confirm (like are you sure you wanna save this kindda thing) or see my other saved files.

Also you can't save pictures from facebook app (my own profile pictures for example). But I'm guessing that's a facebook developing issue.

• I couldn't play .mp4 videos. Need I say more? I expect this device/OS to play everything, from MPEG, to avi.
  • I can't "select all" text in an email for example. I don't know if it's just me, but I tried googling it, I tried double clicking on an empty space, hold, etc. The whole select / copy and paste thing is a bit confusing at this point, and it's not as user friendly as I was expecting.
  • There's no actual YouTube app. When you click on YouTube, it opens it in a browser. Really? I guess we'll wait for an official YouTube app then.
  • I can't show the battery percentage. You have to navigate to Settings > About >  and change the top Category from General to Hardware, and scroll down to see my battery percentage. ARE YOU **bleep**ING KIDDING ME? I want an option that will show the percentage on the main screen right beside the battery PERMINANTLY. I'm not gonna go through all that to see how much battery I have left. That's pretty stupid.
  • NO PANORAMIC MODE in the camera. I thought since Android and Apple have this as a standard in their camera, Blackberry would like to keep up with the competition and include that. Yet, it is not there.
  • I don't mind that I have to go to the Hub to get to my email accounts. But I think it would've also been nice to have an actual Mail app that where I can get to all my email accounts.
  • I'm not quite sure why there's a section for Facebook and Twitter, etc. in the Hub. I know that's where you add these accounts from, but inside of them, you can only see the notifications, and post or tweet something. I can post and tweet perfectly from the Facebook and Twitter app perfectly, I don't need another section just for notifications when there's a SEPERATE NOTIFICATION section just above that. Seems pretty useless to me.
  • I haven't downloaded many apps yet, due to the fact that App World is pure garbage compared to the Apple and Android stores. I realize that this still a new device, and as more ppl switch to it, developers will start making apps. However, it's not like blackberry was completely dead over that last few years. They still had devices and tablets out there that use the App world, and you'd think they'd improve that before this one comes out. App world looks and has basically the same crappy apps since I left blackberry and got my first iPhone 3GS. Which was about 3 years ago.
  • Also, I'm hoping there's no limit as to how many apps you can place in a folder.

Over all I love this device, the size, the feel, the amazing keyboard that is about to yell at me and teach me how to spell is pure genius, and oh how I've missed the Personal Dictionary, and the amazing fact that you can add words that are underlined to the dictionary is absolute beauty.

This is what I've got so far. If there's a fix or if I've missed something or if any of what I've said above is wrong, please pardon me. I would love to know what you guys think. And I hope the developers can work on some of these issues for all of us.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MikeScully

I don't have near as many issues with the phone but I am struggling with the pictures..  I'm not sure if it's the way my data got moved from my 9900 or what but I can't create a new album, move photo's from one album to the other or anything else..   if I were to take a lot of pictures (which I'd like to do)..  they'll just continue to pile up in the "recently added" folder because there doesn't seem to be any way to move them... 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
streetcharm
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Really weird with that whole sorting process but as far as new folders, moving pics around and all that is done via the file manager. should have at least given the pictures app some of those options.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
denenatse
My Carrier: rogers

"Saving pictures is a little bit pain in the **bleep**. First off when holding a finger on a picture. You get the small side column. Until you get used to what each icon on that does, you have to open it fully to see what's there."

After you hold down to save a picture and the side selection menu pops up, slide that menu to the left, it expands.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

hello OMGitsOmie,

some comments.

OMGitsOmie wrote:

• Saving pictures is a little bit pain in the **bleep**. First off when holding a finger on a picture. You get the small side column. Until you get used to what each icon on that does, you have to open it fully to see what's there.

You hit save picture, and then slowly it takes you to save link as. I realize that this option is for ppl who want to rename their pictures before saving them. I personally always leave whatever name as is.

Once you hit save, it takes you to another page, where in the middle it says "download complete" and stays on that page showing you all the pictures you've downloaded. That to me is a huge waste of time. I wanna hold a picture, hit save, and right away continue with my work. Without having to confirm (like are you sure you wanna save this kindda thing) or see my other saved files.

I find this is exactly the way I want it to be: save a picture, and be able to rename it. the current way allows you to do exactly what you want, with two extra clicks, and allows me to do exactly what I want.

It would certainly be nice to have an option for the behaviour in the browser, though. But in the meantime, it is better for me the way it is, without option. :smileywink:

OMGitsOmie wrote:

Also you can't save pictures from facebook app (my own profile pictures for example). But I'm guessing that's a facebook developing issue.

The facebook app on the Z10 is developped by RIM and not by facebook, so RIM can decide to add this feature in a future version of the app. I wish they would too.

OMGitsOmie wrote:
  • I couldn't play .mp4 videos. Need I say more? I expect this device/OS to play everything, from MPEG, to avi.

I can play MP4 files. You can see the supported media types for BlackBerry 10 devices here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/develop/supported_media/bb10_media_support.html

Maybe your MP4 video contains AC3 audio tracks, and since October, Android, iOS and BlackBerry have changed the way AC3 tracks are read. They were not supposed to be readable, but it worked, and today they are not supposed to be readable, and it does not work.

I think that you can probably blame Dolby for not being able to reach an agreement with Google, Apple and BlackBerry.

The solution is to not view videos that contain an AC3 track. When I encode videos, I use MP3, OGG or AAC for the audio part.

To be sure that this is the reason why your file cannot be read, I suggest that you use a Windows tool to discover the codecs used for that specific video. GSpot Appliance is my favourite, but you can also use MediaInfo.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

OMGitsOmie wrote:
  • I can't "select all" text in an email for example. I don't know if it's just me, but I tried googling it, I tried double clicking on an empty space, hold, etc. The whole select / copy and paste thing is a bit confusing at this point, and it's not as user friendly as I was expecting.

you can select a text, which brings the small blue grips. And then you can move the grips to cover all the text you want to copy.

It is exactly the same as on a previous BlackBerry phone, except the fact that the grips were invisible in the past.

OMGitsOmie wrote:
  • There's no actual YouTube app. When you click on YouTube, it opens it in a browser. Really? I guess we'll wait for an official YouTube app then.

on my PC and on my PlayBook, I prefer the YouTube website. Same for the Z10. What would an app bring, except less results and inability to sort the way I want?

OMGitsOmie wrote:
  • I can't show the battery percentage. You have to navigate to Settings > About >  and change the top Category from General to Hardware, and scroll down to see my battery percentage. ARE YOU **bleep**ING KIDDING ME? I want an option that will show the percentage on the main screen right beside the battery PERMINANTLY. I'm not gonna go through all that to see how much battery I have left. That's pretty stupid.

I have never had that on my previous BlackBerry phones, so I think that this lack of percentages is not stupid. I guess you can look for third party apps that display the battery charge in percents, but indeed it is not currently bundled in the OS (like in BlackBerry 7).

OMGitsOmie wrote:
  • NO PANORAMIC MODE in the camera. I thought since Android and Apple have this as a standard in their camera, Blackberry would like to keep up with the competition and include that. Yet, it is not there.

Personally, I have that on my Camera phone and have used the feature twice in 7 years. :smileywink:

But I understand from your reaction that this is a feature that is in 2013 expected for all photophones. Maybe you'll find an app for that.

In the meantime, the Z10 provides great features for the camera:

• a burst mode
  • an exclusive time shift mode (not even available on Samsung photophones or Sony photophones)
  • a digital stabilizer

OMGitsOmie wrote:
  • I don't mind that I have to go to the Hub to get to my email accounts. But I think it would've also been nice to have an actual Mail app that where I can get to all my email accounts.

it exists, it is called the Hub. Just open the Hubs settings and remove all the non email accounts. You can of course access those non-email accounts through their respective apps outside the Hub.

The Hub is exactly the same as the "Messages app" in BlackBerry 7, with better user interface.

OMGitsOmie wrote:
  • I'm not quite sure why there's a section for Facebook and Twitter, etc. in the Hub. I know that's where you add these accounts from, but inside of them, you can only see the notifications, and post or tweet something. I can post and tweet perfectly from the Facebook and Twitter app perfectly, I don't need another section just for notifications when there's a SEPERATE NOTIFICATION section just above that. Seems pretty useless to me.

You can add your Facebook and Twitter account in the hub, but this is not mandatory. You can add those in their respective apps only if you wish, and make them never appear in the Hub. It is just a matter of Hub settings.

OMGitsOmie wrote:
  • I haven't downloaded many apps yet, due to the fact that App World is pure garbage compared to the Apple and Android stores. I realize that this still a new device, and as more ppl switch to it, developers will start making apps. However, it's not like blackberry was completely dead over that last few years. They still had devices and tablets out there that use the App world, and you'd think they'd improve that before this one comes out. App world looks and has basically the same crappy apps since I left blackberry and got my first iPhone 3GS. Which was about 3 years ago.

Adding some context may help understand what happened (not accept it, but understand it).

The Z10 is the first phone with the "BlackBerry 10" OS. All the apps that existed for previous phones had to be recoded from the white page by developers (it is the cost when you shift away from an old OS to a completely new and different one). The Z10 is a new phone, designed by BlackBerry, but it has no technical root in common with the previous phones. Features were added to make it a "true BlackBerry phone", but in fact there are as many differences between BlackBerry 7 and BlackBerry 10, as there is between BlackBerry 7 and iOS, from a technical point of view (except WebWorks probably).

Given that context, RIM has been able to lauch the first phone with BlackBerry 10, with already 70000 apps available on Day Zero. This in itself is incredible (the AppStore started with less than 3000 apps if I recall correctly, and less than 7000 for the Microsoft store for Windows Phones).

That being said, this is clearly not enough when you compare the apps for the Z10, to the apps available for old phones now like the iPhone or the Galaxy SIII.

Many blockbusters are still missing either completely (Instagram, Google Maps), or not ready yet (Skype, Viber, WhatsApp, ooVoo).

OMGitsOmie wrote:
  • Also, I'm hoping there's no limit as to how many apps you can place in a folder.

there is no such limit, but you "only" have 16GB available to install your apps. You can have up to 64GB available (with an additional SD card) for other data: videos (without AC3 :smileywink: ), music, pictures, PDFs, PPT files...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MikeScully

OMGitsOmie wrote:

it exists, it is called the Hub. Just open the Hubs settings and remove all the non email accounts. You can of course access those non-email accounts through their respective apps outside the Hub.

The Hub is exactly the same as the "Messages app" in BlackBerry 7, with better user interface.

Unless I'm missing something, you can't "remove" the non e-mail accounts you can only go into Hub Management and turn them off.. They all still appear in the Hub when you peek..  If I'm wrong please correct me.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
VENOM7000
My Device: Z10 Black
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Hey guys,

Just an off-topic question...

Do you find that volume buttons some times being accidentally pressed in your pocket to the point where the ringtone becomes silent?

Is there a way to disable volume buttons after locking the phone?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
OMGitsOmie

[ Edited ]

Xandrex,

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it.

now to answer some of your comments, have you actually had an iphone or an android before? and I don't mean if you've tried it, I mean had it for a while as your main device? I'm not trying to be rude, so don't get me wrong. This is just so I can reply to the battery percentage thing I was talking about.

using an iPhone for the past few years. having the option to show the percentage is great help, and it's one fo the very first things I always enable on a new iPhone. 3rd party apps don't display the percentage at the top bar (where the battery is) they open up their own apps to show me that. that's not what I'm talking about.

Also, you mentioned that you can add facebook or twitter accounts in their respective apps, and not in the Hub. That my friend is simply not true. If you delete your facebook account from the hub (thru the settings) and then open up the facebook app, it will add the account to the hub again. I don't see that hub settings option you're talking about.

The only thing you can do, is not show facebook notifications in the main hub view (which is the very top where it says Hub), but the account and it's notifications stay below that. That doesn't solve anything.

I want the option to completely disable any notificaitons regarding facebook from showing up in the Hub. and only to show in the app. the problem is the facebook app (along with twitter and linkedin, SMS etc.) are one and only with the Hub. everytime you open any of these apps, it automatically goes to the hub. That means there's not actual "seperate" apps for those. It's mainly just a shortcut.

I agree that opening YouTube in the browser is the best choice (if you're on a laptop) but the iOS YouTube app is phenomal, and never had any problems with "less results". I actually find it more organized than going to my YouTube account on my laptop.

You missunderstood me when I said you can't select text. I see the blue grips, and I know how they work. What I was talking about is (Ctrl +A) as in select ALL text at once. If I open an email, and I wanna copy everything in it. I have to hold the blue grip and scroll all the way down to the end to select the body of the email without letting it go.

Like I mentioned earlier in my first post, I'm not trying to comapre operating systems. I'm simply trying to combine what I liked from each.

Please use plain text.