Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
rherbejr
My Device: Z10 STL100-4
My Carrier: verizon

Re: Z10 Tips, Tricks and Shortcuts

I am very new to the Z10 so excuse me if this has been covered elsewhere.

One of the great features on the Storm product was the ability to touch an email, text or other contact name and get their contact information including phone numbers.  This made it very easy to call someone that you had received an email from (something I do as often as 50 times a day).  I don't see how to do this using the Z10 and frankly THIS was the integration that made the Blackberry so wonderful.  I would appreciate any insight or help... (or the development of the integration if the BBY guys missed it :smileywink: )

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Ride_The_Sky
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi Rherbejr, this functionality is still there.

Just tap and hold on the blue sender/receiver/cc'ed recepients and then hit the little "passport picture" image of a head. This is "View Contact".

If you are referring to the original sender, you cannot tap and hold to see contact info, however just hit the three dots icon (lower right corner) and then choose the same "View Contact" this will bring up their details, including phone number, address. Tapping address will show their location on BB Maps. (Sorry, no more google maps integration there, maybe in the future) tap on the phone number to call them.

rherbejr wrote:

One of the great features on the Storm product was the ability to touch an email, text or other contact name and get their contact information including phone numbers.  This made it very easy to call someone that you had received an email from (something I do as often as 50 times a day).  I don't see how to do this using the Z10 and frankly THIS was the integration that made the Blackberry so wonderful.  I would appreciate any insight or help... (or the development of the integration if the BBY guys missed it :smileywink: )

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Ride_The_Sky

VENOM7000 wrote:

Hey guys,

Just an off-topic question...

Do you find that volume buttons some times being accidentally pressed in your pocket to the point where the ringtone becomes silent?

Is there a way to disable volume buttons after locking the phone?

I did not see this answered, but in my Z10, volume buttons do not control the ringtone volume when the phone is locked.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rherbejr
My Device: Z10 STL100-4
My Carrier: verizon

Thanks!  I'm loving it!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BMWBarrister
My Device: Torch 9800 + Playbook > Z10

Thank you. Great Post.

I would add :

Typing/Keyboard

8. Show Keyboard: Swipe with two fingers up. (I noticed a webpage where the keyboard did not activiate and I needed to access the keyboard).

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Ride_The_Sky

[ Edited ]

To see unread e-mails only, just go to search, use three bars to access the search options, and scroll down and choose Filter - Unread. This works great when your hub says there is 1 unread e-mail, but you can't seem to find it.. Sadly the list does not get updated as you get new emails, you have to close and come back, but more recent unread emails will be on top of hub anyway.

If you are running any sideloaded android apps, you can simulate Back button of android by swiping diagonally from bottom right of center up towards left, or swiping down from the top first and bringing up the blackberry's own back menu. You can also pin the menu to have Back button available at all times while running this app.

Swiping back with one finger deletes last word, two fingers delete two words, and three fingers will delete last three words typed.

As always, double tapping space will put a period (.) at the end of the word, and it will backspace to put the dot right at the end of the word even if you spaced once my mistake.

You can switch the language by tapping and holding comma (,) key. Other languages also support flick typing and auto complete. You'd be surprised at number of words it has in the database for suggestion and autocorrect.

While SmartTags is included with OS, replacement QRManager, Native app in App World can store both QR and Barcode info and allow you to search on Google, as well as copying to clipboard for easier access to other sites by pasting there. Did you know you could share your wifi information, including wifi password and SSID in one simple QR Tag so you don't have to provide details one by one to your guests?

Bubble in text works as a cursor left and right on characters by tapping to the left edge or right edge (inside) bubble.

Back to Hub! (tapping and hold the back button where available will take you back to that app's main hub, most native apps have hubs of their own in BB, so no matter how deep you are into a certain app with many levels, you can always go back to top level of that particular app by pressing and holding < (Back) button at the bottom and then slightly swiping it to reveal app's hub). You can try this in e-mail. Go into an e-mail with conversation, open an e-mail, reply to it, at this stage you are 4 levels deep. To go back to hub or top level you would need to hit back few times, or you can just use Back to Hub!

To see contact details of the e-mail sender, or people copied or other receipients, just tap and hold on their name and then select View Contact. For the original sender's details, while reading the e-mail, just tap three dots and select View Contact.

If the video you recorded does not look good, try turning of stabilization feature.

Are you filing your e-mails into folders? Once you hit File button, you can just type the name of the folder by bringing out the keyboard, sometimes it is easer to bring the keyboard out instead of having to tap on Find A Folder.

If you have multiple pages of icons, you can scroll directly back into hub by hitting the Hub icon (three bars) to the left of Pane 1.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ndottech
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Airtel

Great Info and Thanks for Sharing it !!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bbz10js
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Thank you for posting these. Very useful; many that I would have taken a long time to discover myself.

I just upgraded from a Bold and miss the following features:

1. Hard keyboard - I knew this one going in; perhaps, I should have waited for the Q10.
  2. Navigating between messages - this was so easy with the keyboard on the Bold, I would hit 'u' to go to the next unread message, 'j' or 'k' to the next/previous message in a conversation, etc. On the Z10, one has to leave the current message and return to the message list to get to the next or previous message. And there is no easy way to get to the next unread message at all.
  3. Message list grouped by conversation isn't working correctly or I am not doing this right - I do have 'Conversation' as the Display Style, but when I reply to a message, it doesn't get grouped within the original message's conversation like it did on the Bold. I miss this feature a lot.
  4. Separate ringtones by email account - I couldn't pick a different tone per account like I did on the Bold, I would instantly know which account received a new email just but the tone or the number of vibrates or the length of the vibration.
  5. Ability to create new sound profiles - I used to have one for sound just on email and SMS and vibrate on phone calls. And this would 'inherit' all the properties from the 'Normal' profile except for the Phone that would be vibrage only.

But I appreciate all the tips you have recorded here - these will definitely shorted the breaking in period. Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Ride_The_Sky

bbz10js,
check: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/General-BlackBerry-10-Smartphone/Feature-Requests-for-BlackBe...

We all miss features listed in #2. I loved them all.. :smileysad: I used "I" to file my messages all the time. Use filter/unread if you unread messages are far apart.

3. I have the same problem, sometimes it picks up a completely different conversation and puts it in there.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
AYC2112
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

I stumbled onto a neat little feature. With the keyboard out, if you press on a letter and hold it for a split second and then move your thumb or finger up, it automatically capitalizes the letter. Beats first pressing the shift key. If you hold the letter a little longer then more options appear. Cool.
Please use plain text.