Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z30 BES 10
My Carrier: AT&T

Z10 and SMIME

I would like to buy the Z10 when it becomes available in the US but need to know if you can get an SMIME certificate synced onto the Z10.  I have a 9810 Torch and use the desktop manager (with the added install of the SMIME package) to sync SMIME certificates onto the Torch. 

I have researched Blackberry Link but I have not been able to find out if it has the ability to sync SMIME certificates to the Z10.  I will not email the certificates onto the phone for obvious security reasons.

I will have to stay with the Torch 9810 until I know I can sync SMIME certificates onto the Z10.

Does anybody here know the answer to this???

Thanks...

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Z10 and SMIME

I have not seen any certificate sync option in Link.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Trusted Contributor

Usually it is separate and has to be selected during the install process.

I used to have to download it as a separate package for the older Desktop Managers but for the newer ones you select "Custom Install" and put a check mark for SMIME package and only then will you see the ability for SMIME under your sync options in the Desktop Manager. 

In the past when RIM has launched new OS' for the Blackberry the accompanying Desktop Manager has lagged behind in "full" capability.  It took RIM quite a while to have 64 bit Office/Outlook capability  for a new Desktop Manager release and it also took them some time to come to the table with SMIME sync as well. 

But RIM really seemed to want everything "right" for this - and security is a big reason people select a Blackberry and security can and does include SMIME. 

I was just wondering if anybody knew if SMIME cert sync is available - and if not, when..??.. so users like myself will know when we can upgrade so we don't "unknowingly" lose a security feature by not checking first. 

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

This is a completely different animal than any BB you've used in the past. Honestly, I don't even know if BB10 supports SMIME. I'm not saying it doesn't, just haven't yet heard anything about it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Trusted Contributor

Well thanks for your input... I can't imagine the Blackberry OS 10 doesn't support it.  Actually, I believe I read it does support it when I was checking out the differences between BES and the newer "cloud" services that cost less.  If you want SMIME you have to stay with BES.

This question is really about the Blackberry Link software I just didn't see a "category" for that on the forum. 

Thanks again for your input!

Guru II

I tend to agree. BB has had SMIME for years and iOS has had it since iOS5. If you're on BES, the BES should push out everything needed.

Here's a link to the Link forum:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Link/bd-p/blackberrylink

I have Link installed and I can tell you it's pretty limited. there is no certificate sync included with Link.
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the link for Blackberry Link - I should have posted this there (sorry my bad.)

I run hosted exchange so the BES server pushing out the SMIME certs won't work for me, I need the Blackberry software to do it via sync. 

I am not surprised the Blackberry Link software isn't quite all it can be yet - most new phone OS syncing software is less than stellar (you should see Windows Phone) but eventually it will get there.

I imagine they will deliver the SMIME sync for Blackberry LInk because you can get an SMIME cert onto an iPhone using the iPhone Configuration Utility - Blackberry which is known for stellar security would not want an iPhone to have more capability in regard to security than a Blackberry.

I will have to wait for the SMIME sync - hopefully Blackberry will address that within about 6 months (the wait time I have had in the past for the Desktop Manager to catch up in previous releases of a new BB OS.) 

Have fun with your new Z10 - I did a lot of research and it looks like they struck a nice balance, keeping just enough of the Blackberry OS iconic look to let you know it is a Blackberry while adding newer concepts and functions to keep it competitive with the bigger screen consumer devices. 

Thanks again and Enjoy!:Clap: