Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Visitor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Orange

Z10 and UMA or Wi-Fi Calling

Hi

Does the Z10 have UMA like the Bold 9790 or Wi-Fi Calling (SIgnal Boost) feature like the Bold 9900?

Where I live the mobile network coverage for Orange is very poor and I rely on my Bold 9900 Wi-Fi Calling to make and receive calls while in the house.  Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks guys :-)

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Z10 and UMA or Wi-Fi Calling

Hi, I asked the same question on here. 1 reply suggests it will be soon. I too am on Orange and depend on the UMA, one of the reasons I choose BlackBerry. Hopefully it won't be too long

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

It should be coming. From what I've been told it hit snags during carrier testing and has taken a bit longer to get implemented. However, for TMobile US subscribers it should go back to true UMA with handoffs instead of just wifi calling. Fingers crossed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

I have the same problem, my house is in a dead zone and since I travel alot to cell limited places in Northern Canada, UMA has been a life saver for me.  I would like to upgrade my 9800 but not unless the Z10 has UMA.  A must have.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I know it's coming for TMobile US. Once it works for one carrier it will likely work for all the carriers offering that service.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

I Think what you are talking about is the ability of TMobile to allow UMA use.  I already have that with Rogers and Fido supports it as well.  What I am talking about is UMA hardware in the phone itself that allows you to make wifi calling with handoff to cell towers when leaving the wifi area without interupting the phone call.  I have this on my BB 9800 Torch and it is great.

Guru II

I know exactly what I'm talking about. TMobile has had UMA for years (though it changed to wifi calling in the last year but it's still UMA.)

The hardware is there. They are still working bugs out of the software for UMA. So, the option is coming for TMobile and Orange, and assumably the other carriers that offer UMA services on their networks.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Where did you find info on the Z10 having UMA hardware? I can't even find a hint of it anywhere.  I talked to BB support and they say no.  I'm not doubting you but the only reason I don't run out and get the phone is that I need hardware enabled UMA for where I live and the places I travel to for work.

Guru II

Because I was told by someone I trust at TMobile that UMA is coming to the Z10. Also, another user here was told the same thing by Orange. Most likely it will take an OS update to make it work.

UMA is just VoIP. The device has wifi so that's all the hardware it needs. It just needs software to run it.
New Contributor

Well, Im glad someone knows something. This is good news.

just FYI, UMA is not the same as VoIP. VoIP is strictly wifi calling and won't handoff to a cell tower when leaving your wifi range and your call becomes dropped. UMA on the other hand (although it works the same as VoIP when connected to wifi) will handoff your call to a cell tower without dropping your call.