Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Z10 and UMA or Wi-Fi Calling

Again, I'm well aware of the differences. When TMobile went to 3G it broke their UMA and handoffs would work from cell tower to UMA but not from UMA to cell towers. They then changed it on OS7.1 devices and called it "WiFi Calling" and gave it a new logo on the home screen and added a special tone to tell you when you're drifting out of wifi range. However, if you dig deeper into the device settings you see that even though they called it wifi calling it was still UMA (that didn't work properly anymore) under the hood.

I was told UMA is coming to the Z10 and that it should be true UMA and not just wifi calling. I deduce from that that it will be available for other carriers in the future, too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor
Jjang
My Device: Passport

Does anyone know if telusmobility is planning on supporting uma on the z10?
New Contributor
mike22
My Device: 9900

Hope wifi calling is coming to z10 ! cause we need it !

GJW123

Actually, VOIP and "Wifi calling" are different.  VOIP simply refers to any technology that can transmit voice services over an IP network.  It does NOT imply the ability to receive calls from conventional telephone services nor generate calls to a conventional telephone service (however, it doesn't preclude doing so - that is only one example of a VOIP service).

However, "Wifi Calling" is unfortunately an inexact term.  It is currently used to refer to either:

1)  VOIP services from onemobile handset to another (without either handset making or receiving a true telephone call), or

2) A service such as what is provided by T-Mobile USA and Orange in the UK whereby your mobile handset uses a local wifi-hotspot to route a true phone call (either incoming or outgoing) via the Internet back to the cellular providers conventional telephony infrastructure.

#1 above is akin to using Skype on your laptop to talk to someone else on their laptop.  It provides  voice 'service' but it doesn't invole either party using a true telephone connection.  Note that Blackberry now uses the term Wifi Calling as a feature of their latest BBM app.

#2 above is akin to using Skype on your laptop to either initiate an outgoing phone call (to a real phone on the other end) or to receive a true phone call oriignating from a real phone.

It is #2 that we are asking about whether BB10 and the Z10 will support for the small nuimber of cellular service providers such as T-Mobile and Orange that support it.

This is EXTREMELY important for those who reside in a poor signal area for their cell provider and/or for people who travel internationally a lot and can save LOTS of money by using local Internet hot spots to avoid extremely high international cell charges.

Developer
Developer
jtv
My Device: Z10

Could someone explain to me what is UMA or WiFi Calling, as I am in the UK and I have video calling but only through the bbm, but are you saying that it is wanted throughout any other platform you may use on your phone, like facebookwhat'sapp, yahoo messenger and so forth.

My Best Regards

JT V

JTValerie
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Wifi calling/UMA is a service that some carriers offer. It is just as GJW123 explained above. Not all carriers offer it and it is currently not available on the Z10. I've been told it's coming but no idea when.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer
Developer
jtv

Dear John_Clark

Does that mean that I do have WiFi or UMA video calling then, am still not sure what you mean, as I know it will cost me if I use my data if I am not using WiFi, but I can get video calling.

JT V

JTValerie
Guru I
John_Clark

No, I didn't say that. UMA or wifi calling Is different than BBM voice chat or video chat. The Z10 does NOT have wifi calling or UMA.

The Z10 does have voice chat and video chat through BBM and you can use that all you like over wifi.
Developer
Developer
jtv

Thanks John_Clark

I can't wait till that update come's for all Z10s :Detective:; I am waiting in joyous hope if the Z10 does.

It's a fantastic phone, my last was the Torch 9800 which I LOVED and Am LOVING My Z10 More than My Old Dear

Just Brilliant :Rockon: 

JTValerie
New Contributor
mike22

GUESS nobody Knows if yes 100%

because with the 9900 tmo said yes too wifi calling !

but when i got my new 9900 wifi calling did not work out of box ! and we

were told by Tmobile yes it would have wifi calling the first day it launched.

My first 9900 box had wifi calling written on the back of box !

then tmobile covered wifi calling with a sticker cause wifi calling

did not work !

Buyer Beware thats all u should concider ! check before u buy.