Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Z10 and UMA or Wi-Fi Calling

Wifi calling did come to the 9900. I'm certain it will come to the Z10 Too but when is the big question.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
mike22
My Device: 9900

[ Edited ]

UMA is calling on wifi connection but when u leave the uma wifi area the call does a soft HANDOFF to the network so u can keep talking.

Wifi calling same as uma calling but NO HANDOFF to network when u leave the wifi connection ur on the call will drop

UMA - unlicensed mobile access

uma and wifi calling same thing your making a call over a wifi connection.

Tmobiles uma work very good on 3G devices and that was mainly on blackberries ! then android came into the picture and they did not have uma built into the os of the android like blackberry did,so blackberry was not going to help andriod with uma, SO tmo got somebody else the get ( WIFI CALLING ) on driod devices thats when the name change from UMA to WIFI CALLING, tmobile didnt want to maintain 2 different ( calling over wifi ) so the 1st blackberry with the change was 9900 (4G) cause Rim still can put UMA in the os with a soft handoff but then. ALL tmobiles other phone would need it cause people would want the better of the two wifi calling feature UMA. hope this helps u understand the difference

New Contributor
mike22
My Device: 9900

Just go off the phone with my business rep the z10 will NOT have wifi calling at launch !

Wifi calling will be avai at a later time with os update !

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

That is what I heard too. Since Tmo just pushed an update (most likely their release OS version) to the Z10 And it doesn't have UMA it makes sense.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
Egtk
My Device: Torch 9800

FYI

Just got off the phone with Rogers.  I tried to upgrade my UMA package on line but they have discontinued UMA for Blackberry phones and WiFi for all other phones.  They wouldn't tell me why.  But they did say that for those of you who currently have UMA/WiFi with Rogers, you can keep it and they will support it as long as you don't change your plan or phone.  I did manage to upgrade mine to Canada wide for a small fee. 

Cheers

New Contributor
tonyhoward1
My Device: Blackberry 9700

Great news. My contract ran out last December, but I decided to wait for this Z10 as it sounded brilliant, but then found out it didn't support UMA ( In which Orange now call UMA a different name, called 'Signal Boost') So I am sticky to my trusty 9700 until they sort this out, as I too live in an area with no network coverage, but have all the places I visit in the area wireless network key stored in my phone!

Hurry Orange and Blackberry..Sorry...RIM, as I'm guessing there are thousands of us wanting a new phone with UMA (Signal Boost) technology!

New Contributor
tonyhoward1
My Device: Blackberry 9700

Bad news. I have been chatting with a guy who works for Orange/EE, who tells me that UMA is not just a software installation but also a hardware. He tells me that the Z10 does not have the hardware installed, so if a software update comes out and you already have a Z10 your phone will not work on UMA. I asked if he knew if they would be installing this hardware and he replied, that the supplier would have to ask Blackberry to install the hardware and that he doesn't believe orange will be doing so in the near future.
Visitor
dalecosby
My Device: bold 9700

I have seen several people hint at the correct response but none do so clearly here.

Let me explain the difference:

1. UMA calling as the old Blackberries up until the 9780, 9800 and the 9360 was a hardware solution.

UMA hardware was built into the phone. It also allowed seamless handoffs from the wifi network to the cellular network. UMA is a feature that must be built into the phone itself.

2. Wifi calling which T-Mobile is now advertising is the same feature implemented in software rather than hardware. 

This has been a trend in computing for years. Special features that initially require dedicated hardware later are implemented in software. I use a 9810 now and it has software based wifi calling, which works great minus the handoff that you would get with UMA. 

So to recap, older UMA = Hardware solution.  "Wifi calling" as they call it now is a software only implementation of the same feature.

Only phones with UMA hardware can ever have UMA calling, but ANY PHONE that is powerful enough can have wifi calling added through a simple software update as we saw with the last generation of BB7 phones.

Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10

It's not in the current T-Mobile firmware.  I HATE it and shut it off on my Android phones, but I have a good signal here at the house.  If I didn't, I'd want it.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
New Contributor
basamjy
My Device: z10

I bought the Z10 last night, and I felt somethign fishy was going on when I could not find viber in the app store. Now I have just been told by TMObile CS persont that WIFI calling is a phone feature and the Z10 does not have it. Period. It NEVER WILL HAVE IT !!!!

I'm returning this phone and getting a Samsung S III - **bleep** it BB - I really REALLY wanted to help you :smileysad: