Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Z10 and UMA or Wi-Fi Calling

[ Edited ]

jafanador wrote:
Today cell phones NEED this type of stuff from the get go!

So, hang on...do I understand you correctly? You want the BlackBerry company to control the TMobile company? For, you see, to accomplish what you have stated, such would be required.

Each carrier is responsible for the rollout of their UMA services, if they even have them. BlackBerry cannot control a carriers UMA service availability...the carrier must control that. So, to do what you stated and since BlackBerry cannot control TMO, BlackBerry would have had to delay the rollout of this fantastic new device while waiting for those few carriers that even have UMA to make it ready and available for the BB10 platform.

An interesting consideration, to be sure...but they must make their choices when they must make them...and so it's TMO that has the brunt of the "blame" here...not BlackBerry as far as I can tell...

jafanador wrote:
What's making it hard for me is that my 2 Z10 device purchase(1 for wife) is being threatened by Tmo offering the PHAT iP5. Does that phone have wifi(UMA) calling?

As for your last question there...it seems that a BlackBerry forum is not a good place to ask that, since it pertains to a different manufacturer's device...

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jafanador
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: 0

Basamjy did you keep your Z10 or did you switch to a different phone?
Please use plain text.
Chronos
My Device: 0
My Carrier: 0

Hi Everyone,

For the benefit of others, please keep this thread on-topic and refrain from any personal attacks. We understand that you are frustrated with your issue, but this is a peer to peer support board and the contributors and resident experts are here to help as best they can. Please keep your post courteous

Thank you for your contributions to this community!

Chronos                                                                                                                                New to the Community click here  
Community Moderator
Likes2.png    AS3.png    CG2.png

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

TMobile broke UMA when they rolled out 3G a couple years ago. Hand offs from wifi to cell towers quit working in most locations. That's why newer devices were changed to what they called wifi calling and didn't offer hand offs from cell tower to wifi and vice versa. It is not, I repeat not, the fault of BB, though they have to rewrite the code to make it work again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
scrannel
My Device: Z10 10.2.1.2228
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

Since UMA requires hardware you won't see it anymore.  T-Mo has used Kineto on previous phones and now IMS -- both can be added OTA.  Which is the whole point.  There is apparently a Beta version for Windows Phones out there now.  My wife has the original UMA on her older BBerry and hand-off works just fine. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
liznewman
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Orange

This is the question I want answered before I upgrade.  It took ages to get the sofware update for the 9900 Bold, so until the UMA is activated I will not be upgrading, I need it as no signal where I live. 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I haven't heard any updates on this. I, too, hope it's still coming.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
TMOmatt
My Device: z10
My Carrier: t-mobile

the major difference between UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) and WiFi Calling is that UMA uses a UNC (UMA network controller  and wifi calling does not. the UNC is what enables GSM handoff.

The first thing a UMA enabled handset does when  entering range of a Wi-Fi network is attempt to connect to that network’s Wireless Router (WR) in order to get internet access. Once connected to the internet, the handset sets up a secure tunnel all the way to the provider's network (the Security Gateway). If the subscriber is authenticated and authorized for UMA service, the handset is connected to the provider's network, via the UMA Network  Controller or UNC and is ready to provide service to the subscriber.

WiFi calling uses only a VoIP connection type without creating a virtual GSM connection between the cellular network and the VoIP network and this is why UMA has handoff capability and WiFi calling does not

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Great explanation! If i recall, UMA hand offs from wifi to mobile network were broken over UMA with the implementation of 3G. They worked in some areas bit not in others.

Tmo then, understandably, moved devices like the 9810 to wifi calling instead of UMA. However, it appeared to be using UMA under the hood but with an added notification tone when one got too far from the router. If you looked at all the settings and logs it was still using the UNC.

The question is does the Z10 have this UNC controller and has Tmo fixed the hand off issue from wifi to mobile?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
scrannel
My Device: Z10 10.2.1.2228
My Carrier: T-Mo USA

[ Edited ]

The last version of BBerry that got wifi calling (as an OTA) was the IMS version, not UMA.  According to what I've read.  My wife's 9xxx BBerry uses "real" UMA and has no issue with hand-off, and we've had 3G in So. Cal for years.  Prior to IMS, T-mo used Kineto, which was another software-only that could be added, and was added OTA to many Android sets.  When Z10 gets wifi-calling it is 90% sure to be IMS, and 90% sure there will be no hand-off.  But, maybe. Neither IMS nor Kineto needed hardware on the phone and neither allowed hand-off. 

Please use plain text.