Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
fschutrumpf
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Z10 buggy

I am a committed blackberry fan, but the Z10 is really changing that. It just seems like a barely usable smart phone, especially compared to my 9870 where there were so many core functions accomplished with one button push, rather than press power button, swipe up, swipe over, click....

Here's some of the bugs:

3 hour battery life - not good enough guys....

When charging and phone power on, no charging indicator (i.e. my phone is now completely dead after 2 hours "plugged into the charger)

can't text an incoming phone call number from the Hub unless that number is added to the address book

The phone is dog slow: when it reboots, it takes ages to load the Hub, it takes forever to load maps (I was using maps to find an address, my phone crashed, after the lengthy reboot, Maps took 10 minutes to load - it was a black screen until then, and I couldn't tell the difference between maps and the screen being off....

Slow loading between All Calls / Missed Calls

The frequent numbers don't populate fast enough - shows the number instead of the saved name - same for the call list

Not having ' on the main keyboard makes it really hard to type words containing the apostrophe.  That's pretty common to have in a sentence

The voice dictation seems pretty flaky. For me it works maybe 50% of the time, and when it fails, it will fail repeatedly (i.e. I could have typed 8x what I was trying to dictate at the same time)

Can't paste phone number from webpage into phone (i.e. write it on paper and then re-enter)

Remember app is slow.  Slow to load, takes a long time to get from display memo to text entry mode

There's about 20 more, but they're probably know issues, and the queue just needs to get more builds in my phone,....

Honestly, the 9xxx Blackberries were sooo incredibly good except for the browser not working with most websites.  This phone is a major disappointment.  I'm on my second Z10 (the first one had serious issues with Camera not working ever) but I just worry for Blackberry that they can't fix these things fast enough to retain people who used to be their biggest fans. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
RobGambino
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Z10 buggy

Good day

Welcome BB forums

Quick questions if you don't mind me asking your previous Z10 you had did you do any OS updates?

Have you look up battery tips on how to have battery life? Some guys on here are now saying they get up 24hrs on their Z10!

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fschutrumpf

My previous Z10 I reloaded from scratch and it had the same camera behavior - multicolored line on the camera screen and no ability to take pictures. The front facing camera worked fine, but the rear facing (main) camera didn't.  T-Mo did a warranty exchange. Their store manager did get the camera to work once off a fresh reboot, but after opening the hub and trying the camera again, we never got it to work any further.

On both Blackberry z10s I followed all the battery saving tips - turn off wifi, logging, all apps when not in current use, screen to the lowest readable level, turn off gestures when screen locked, ....  That gets me about 3-5 hours (I.e I'm without a phone for the rest of the day by 1pm).  To get through a normal day, I would need to carry 2 spare batteries, and I'm not sure I can live with this phone long enough to bother making the battery investment. 

Why didn't Blackberry just re-release the OS 9 x with the current screen.  If someone asks me what's better about OS10, my answer from my perspective is nothing (well I can do online banking from my phone again, but it's not a huge deal)...

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,924
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

How long have you had this Z10?

fschutrumpf wrote:

3 hour battery life - not good enough guys.... It will get better, trust me. Do this >> at about 15% battery charge, leave the device connected to the wall outlet charger and while still connected, remove the battery and replace. You will see better battery life. This will reset the on-device battery meter to sync correctly with the battery.

When charging and phone power on, no charging indicator (i.e. my phone is now completely dead after 2 hours "plugged into the charger) Something is wrong there...you should see a small lightening bolt over the battery. Are you using the wall outlet charger, not the USB to computer cable to charge?

can't text an incoming phone call number from the Hub unless that number is added to the address book

The phone is dog slow: when it reboots, it takes ages to load the Hub, it takes forever to load maps (I was using maps to find an address, my phone crashed, after the lengthy reboot, Maps took 10 minutes to load - it was a black screen until then, and I couldn't tell the difference between maps and the screen being off.... That's not normal either. Right after a reboot, it is syncing and loading data, but not for ten minutes.

Slow loading between All Calls / Missed Calls

The frequent numbers don't populate fast enough - shows the number instead of the saved name - same for the call list

Not having ' on the main keyboard makes it really hard to type words containing the apostrophe.  That's pretty common to have in a sentence  try typing the actual word.. like "its" or "Johns" withOUT the apostrophe and glance down at the space key, does it have it correct?

The voice dictation seems pretty flaky. For me it works maybe 50% of the time, and when it fails, it will fail repeatedly (i.e. I could have typed 8x what I was trying to dictate at the same time)  Works better for me., keep trying, let it learn your voice and inflections, it will.

Can't paste phone number from webpage into phone (i.e. write it on paper and then re-enter) You can on OS 10.1, IF the phone number is formatted as a phone number. What OS is on your device at Settings > About?

Remember app is slow.  Slow to load, takes a long time to get from display memo to text entry mode

There's about 20 more, but they're probably know issues, and the queue just needs to get more builds in my phone,....

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
RobGambino
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Well the first device sounds like hardware issues!

Are you running LTE, 4G because if your Z10 searching for signal that could be burning your battery life?

Have you done the new OS upgrade yet for the new Z10 you've now?

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fschutrumpf

I've had this phone for about 2 months now.  It did seem better the first couple days and then has settled to a steady 3-5 hours max. It does have the problem that it takes about 3 hours to charge, and so if the charge gets below 60% or so, it's impossible to ever get back to a full battery if you're not able to be somewhere with the phone tethered to a wall outlet (i.e. a cellular phone that needs to be perpetually hardwired.... ;-(

It also seems that if the battery is at 60% and I take a couple calls for 10-15 minutes each, the battery is at ~20%.  So not very many minutes of use gets the battery into dangerously low territory where again, I almost should just turn off the phone to give me that last one call if there was a real emergency...

The battery charging lightning bolt does show when the screen is on, and a light blinks if the device is off.  But if the device is on, and I don't squint at the lightning bolt, there is no obvious light to show charging (if external power is connected, why not blink a light?  The other night the same thing happened - it didn't quite charge because I didn't double check the tiny icon, and in the morning, I only had one hour battery life that day.

I've figured out that comma instead of apostrophe works well.  I've got 3 languages enabled and the word substitution really can't process that, so the autocorrect is really more of a burden than a benefit.

For the voice dictation, I am learning that it can best handle short chunks. Also, switching off blue tooth and speaking directly into the mic helps.  Also, turning off all car vents, not trying it outside, while in a moving vehicle, etc helps marginally, but generally it's still flaky.  It's not that it can't handle my inflection, but that the circle progress indicator, spins for a long time and then it gives no text back. And when it gets into that state, I can try and dictate the same thing six times, and rather than getting it wrong, it just tries for way too long, and then returns no text at all. It seems like the app gets hung.  Also T-Mobile network is famous, and that may exacerbate things.

That leads to a further issue. I get no network errors and dropped calls when the network shows at 4 and 5 bars. Obviously there is something wrong. Either the network strength is weaker than displayed or the call shouldn't drop.  This happens a lot, losing reception in a 4 bar area.  I understand that there can be high traffic (i.e. 5 bars but no circuits available, but when I have a call, I shouldn't lose that call while the display shows 4 bars)

Thanks for the kind suggestions.

T-Mobile is still on OS 10.0, so I'm eagerly awaiting the new build. It's been promised for June, so any day now for pasting phone numbers...

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
danielsydney
My Carrier: Optus Australia

I will agree the battery lfe is just appalling!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,924
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

fschutrumpf wrote:

T-Mobile is still on OS 10.0, so I'm eagerly awaiting the new build. It's been promised for June, so any day now for pasting phone numbers...

No, Tmobile has officially released OS 10.1, I believe on June 10th.

Your other comments do not reflect proper operation of the device, and I believe the upgrade will certianly help you.

You may also need to do exactly as I said with the battery charging, something is not right there.

Let me know what else we can help with.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Dask
My Device: Supporting the boss's Z10

Less rose-tinted than the comment above, but -

Somehow my pet user's ekeing out a full day on his with ease.  So, surprisingly, battery hasn't been an issue here.  You might want to investigate with a battery monitor app (and/or just try 10.1 already - seems to have done in a few annoyances - poll for it under Software Updates or such in the white-background Settings app and prepare to wait for 300MB to download and unpack plus maybe 15 minutes for it to do some housekeeping for the Hub post-install), as seems like some people are lucky winners of a 'stuck'/'spinning' background process burning battery per reports from others complaining.  [Never investigated since the problem hasn't surfaced here, but Android isn't exactly immune to that either, just slightly more nerd-enabled out of the box to diagnose and manage such.]

re: dropped/non-completing calls, probably want to try 10.1 and then contact T-Mobile if it persists, particularly if it does seem localized to a particular area.  TMo service has been really shockingly good here in Fairfield County, CT (probably more calls are riding AT&T than TMo towers).

Please use plain text.