Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: 9850
My Carrier: Verizon

Z10 can't find music

Hi:

I had a torch and loved it, so I got the new Z10.  All is well, except for music.

I have tried everything -- using link, moving all files directly onto the card, just moving mp3, just moving m4a, etc., to my SD card, but the Z10 doesn't find them.  I have enough faith in BB to think it's me doing something wrong rather than the Z10, but maybe not. 

Music put into ringtones on internal storage is found.  Also, pictures put on the SD card are found, but not the music.

Any help? Please?

Thank you

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Z10 can't find music

Hey oldsulefty,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

If you move the music files through My Computer to the SD card instead of using BlackBerry Link, does the music get picked up by the media player?  Also are you disconnecting the BlackBerry Z10 from the USB cord when trying to view the media files?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor

Hello!

No, it does not work directly. Also, I have tried to sync through Link and it doesn't work.

More on that:

I then tried moving files directly from my computer through to the SD card using the USB connection.  The files show as being on the card, but no recognition.

I then just moved mp3's, same.  Then, just m4a's, same result -- they show as being there, but the Z10 doesn't recognize them.

The SD card works in the Z10 as best I can tell, because my pictures are there, and the Z10 finds them.  Yes, I formatted the SD card using the Z10 to make sure it was correct.  And yes, I understand I have some of those infamous DRM files that Apple protects with their lives, and I didn't try to move them.

I moved some of the same music files into the ringtones folder on the Z10's internal storage that I put on the SD card, and the Z10 does recognize them.  Perhaps it's appropriate, because my default ringtone is now 96 Tears from ? and the Mysterians!  Sort of describes my music loading attempts.

Thanks, VF, for responding.

Lefty

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

on the Z10, can you see the files using the File Manager ?
if yes, what happens when you click on them?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Yes, get "This file contains anunsupported media format." It was the identical song/format I put into ringtones on the device that it does recognize. Thanks
Guru I

which BlackBerry device can play those files?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

My torch(9850) played it, and the Z10 does play it when I copy that same file into the ringtones folder on the device's internal storage. Thanks.
Highlighted
Guru I

this is quite surprising. Can you confirm this is what you do?

1) take a song.
2) copy it to the ringtones folder on the internal storage
3) copy it to the music folder on the internal storage
4) copy it to the ringtones folder on the SDcard
5) copy it to the music folder on the SDcard

now, using the file manager :
2 and 4 can play the song
1 and 3 displays the exact error message "This file contains anunsupported media format."

can you in addition to that, go on your PC, download GSpot Appliance ( http://gspot.headbands.com/ ) and read that same music file with it?
what is the audio codec displayed?