Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
laurenceaustin
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Z10 cannot mount volumes

Hey, I have read all your comments and seen that I had exactly the same problem that you did. I had Blackberry link installed, and used Blackberry Device Manager to try and mount the two volumes, which also resulted in the error messages you say you got. However I restarted my laptop, as I hadnt done this since i had installed BB Link , plugged my Z10 in and then boom, the two drives were mounted without me having to use BB Device Manager and now i can see 2 drives in My Computer and drag and drop files... hope this helps...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
CHRISPCHRIS
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: )2

Thanks Laurence, yes have tried restarting laptop but no joy. I have no microsd card in z10 so only one volume. Have tried wiping z10, tried removing and reinstalling bb link and device manager, have manually stopped all processes, have deleted b&b folders. All no joy The issue is with my laptop but now can't see wood for trees. One oddity is that when I transfer files in b&b link from old bb the file transfer says it is occurring but only 800 Kbps is transferred and lots of items in list have asterixes, yet blackberry z10 storage says many megabytes are taken up? Any one know how I can go back on laptop to a cleaner setting to avoid trip, wifi and other issues? Wireless router xyzel is quit old and works ok with ipad, could it be a wifi issue? Given all above it doesn't seem that blackberry support would be cost effective, any other ideas please anyone! Bloody desperate now, z10 has no contacts and my business is starting to suffer Thanks Chris
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
laurenceaustin
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

So you've tried device switch then with Blackberry Link and no data was carried over? Even before my mine worked I still managed to use BlackBerry Link to copy over contacts and memos etc... perhaps another thing you should try is using usb 2.0 rather than 3.0, I was using usb 3.0 and it wouldn't mount, so I just used my usb 2.0 port instead almost by accident and the mounting worked after the restart! hope this helps.. 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

CHRISPCHRIS wrote:
Bloody desperate now, z10 has no contacts and my business is starting to suffer

hello,

what is your need?

• be able to access the files on your Z10 from your PC
  • or use BB Link to transfer "all" from your previous BlackBerry phone to your Z10?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
CHRISPCHRIS

Thanks Xandrex I cannot transfer anything to z10 as volume not mounted, cannot see z10 on my computer. So both really
Please use plain text.
Contributor
CHRISPCHRIS

Yes no data carried over but the biggest issue is that z10 shows connection error in blackberry link, has uncounted volume in device manager and does not show on computer as a co elected volume. But plugging and unplugging is recorded as a dialog in blackberry device manager ang I get the sound when you connect or disconnect a device
Please use plain text.
Developer
indy2718
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem.   Connecting the device would not mount the internal drive, the BlackBerry Link sync would try to sync for a long time and then say "connection error".    I am a programmer, so I figured this had to do with a network connection being created through USB (there were some DNS entries in the Windows error log).   So I had the phone disconnected, and went on the Z10:

System Settings -> Network Connections

and DISABLED both Mobile Nework (Mobile Network, Data Services). 

and DISABLED Wi-fi  (->off)

Then connected the phone and started the computer.   It works!!   Drive gets mounted (Z drive).   Sync works (copied some music ...  it was in the file manager -> "music" dir).   Copied some files manually through the Z mount (1.5 MB/s).

So I unpluged and repluged, took a minute but then remounted again no problems. Did it again.   I turned the Mobile Network back on, and pluged/replugged.  Seems to work.   So my guess is that there is some sort of conflict when the Wifi network is enabled on the phone.   I hope they fix this.

Let me know if it works, Chris.

edited: fixed- turned drive letters into smilies

edit 2: I don't have a data plan on my cellular network, so you might have to disable both

Please use plain text.
Contributor
CHRISPCHRIS

Thanks Indy - I had really hoped this was the answer and did as you suggested but still no joy even when I restarted z10 and laptop, when you say started computer, should pc be off when I connect USB? Could the z10 be faulty? Device storage says 4.4 gb of 16 gb used ( none of which i can see in link)presumably when I tried to convert old bb via link, would empty z10 storage help mounting volumes? Thanks
Please use plain text.
Developer
indy2718
My Carrier: Telus

The 4.4 GB is probably the preinstalled apps and other software on the BlackBerry.   If you plug in the Z10 using USB to the laptop and turn the laptop on, it should have mounted the internal drive and Blackberry Sync should work without "Pending Sync" forever.   It also should work if you plug in the Z10 while the computer is on.

So on your Z10 you disabled Wi-fi under Settings and connected it to the laptop using USB and it still didn't work, here are some things that you can try (that I would have tried)

-- On your computer, make sure Windows 7 is up to date:  Start -> Windows update.  Download latest patches.

-- install the latest intel chipset software (if your laptop motherboard is intel):  http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLi...

-- disable virus scanner temorarily

-- disable windows firewall temporarily

You can try to go on another computer (your friends).  Install the Blackberry Link software.  See if you can transfer a sample file or mount the drive.

If all the above failed, maybe you can go to the store where you bought it and ask them for help.  (or try to get another phone).

If you want more technical information to help diagnose the problem, this is where I found some error messages:

Blackberry Link -> Blackberry device button (bottom) -> Log Files -> create Log file , then view log file on right.  The file is called Desktop.log

(mine had said "drive not mounted" or something similar).

Windows -> event viewer (pretty complicated).

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
baldy
My Device: z10
My Carrier: fido

Ok, so to get it to work, I did what was mentioned before...

home screen >> swipe down >> settings >> storage and access
access using Wi-Fi = ON
then change the password
and change the username in the button "Identification on Network" to the username on my computer
change WORKGROUP to the name of your computer's workgroup
once that is done, go back,
Disable Wifi
Connect via USB

Can confirm it works now on Windows 7 x64 ultimate...

If WiFi is on, it won't connect to BBLink with the drives "mounted"

Too bad the Wifi sync doesn't work... Guess we will have to wait for a proper fix.
Please use plain text.