Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
Sarealex
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Z10 encoding issue in outgoing email

Hoping someone can help me. I've been an avid bb fan for years and my husband and I both handed in our bonds a week ago to move to the z10. We are both loving it. While my husband has had no issues with his I am very close to having no issues - except for one major one that affects me and my clients greatly. I have 2 email accounts - gmail (working without any issue at all - was up and running within a matter of minutes of receiving my z10). The other however has not been a fun or even manageable experience. My work email is web based and took a few days for me to even get it up and running. With my bold I was able to connect via Exchange but am no longer able to do so. I was told to connect via Active sync however my employer does not have this functionality and it is not supported. Following that I was told to connect using either IMAP or POP. And while I have been finally able to connect and receive my email when I SEND email it is a disaster!!!!! My out going mail seems to be adding in all of the encoding and so it becomes "unreadable" for lack of a better term. I have no idea where to turn on this. I have been constantly surfing and searching and and all forums that I can in hopes to find a resolution but have not yet found one - this is my last resort - otherwise sadly ....... Very, very sadly I will have to return my phone. Any suggestions at all would be much appreciated! Sorry for the "long-winded ness"
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lesedwards
My Carrier: Rogefs

Re: Z10 encoding issue in outgoing email

Hi there I understand where you are coming from. I have the same problem and cannot find anything and no help. Talked to my provider and they could not help me either
Short of walking in the front door of BlackBerry and raising **bleep** until someone listens I am lost. Just keep posting and we might get some attention.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sarealex

I really hope there is some help out there. It's pretty disappointing. Especially when there weren't any issues with the Bold :-(. I was so excited about the Z10 and have held off on getting an iPhone - specifically waiting for this!!! I hope it doesn't come to having to make the switch.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
markent

Hi there,

I saw your post almost with a sense of relief...in that I am not alone. The exact same thing started happening with my Z10 yesterday. Garbled outgoing e-mail texts that seem to contain a lot of the actual coding. I went to my service provider but they had no idea what to do and no solution, saying it was just a random thing that happens from time to time with e-mail software, and that it should just go away. They doubted it was a problem with the hardware  per se. Didn't sound very convincing to me and still doesn't help me because my e-mails are almost unreadable and it is an embarassment wiyj colleagues and clients.

I am still a Blackberry loyalist but I'll keep watching this forum in the hope someone sees it and has a solution.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I am guessing you are trying to send an email on your phone using IMAP, and the return address is the one from where you work.

This can be an issue with SSL security protocol, or with the SMTP port address. If you set up with auto configuration the software can sometimes select a port that is not proper for proper link. Because there was a verifiable activity the software will assume the address to be correct when it actually is not. An added ecryption may also be used. In the Z10 email setup there is a manual setup capability.

I am running my own email server system. I am using security encryption with SSL. My POP3 protocol settings are not standard, thus making it more difficult for intrusion. My email addresses work wtih my Z10.

The standard ports for send and receive are 110 and 25 for POP3.  These can differ depending on the email provider. I have seen the SMTP also using 587 and 26. 

This is a great article in Wikipedia about email server protocol. It is a bit technical for the average user.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol

From the place where you work maybe you can talk to someone about getting the proper information about how to send and receive email using the Microsoft Server Exchange standard from an external device such as a remote email work station.

A work around that may be okay for you is to make a rule in your email program where you work that will allow a forward copy to an address that works with your phone. If you use Hotmail you can set up Hotmail to allow you to use your work address as a send from address. Also, maybe Hotmail itself can POP or IMAP your email for you. Then you can pick it up with the phone.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
wrh310

Same issue... All was good until the software update.  I love the phone but am VERY frustrated. It might as well be a brick if I can't send email.  Changing email addresses in NOT an option.  I've talked to my email provider and confirmed all of my settings.  No matter what I do, I can't get the phone to negotiate with my Smtp server. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE ASAP!!!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
VortacPhotos
My Device: 9300, Z10

I got the same issue with the “POP” configuration. No need for SSL or SMTP here. HTML5 problem? Humm... By Hotmail, we see all the HTML code mixed with words. But if i return and read the same message by the phone, everyting is ok.

Sometimes there is nothing written in the posts, while others are simply all wrong.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

lesedwards wrote:
I agree. I run my own business in fact two business and I cannot be sending emails out from some half **bleep** address how professional does that look. Everything has worked perfect for 10 years and then I bought this piece of **bleep** called a Z10 and it even worked on it until the OS update.

Wow lesedwards.. you are on fire. :smileywink: Jacking your issue into every email thread and getting **bleep**ed constantly. :smileyhappy:

This thread was about an encoding issue, and from your other posts you are simply having connection issues.

@Sarealex - I haven't seen this issue with any of my email accounts over IMAP, what software version are you currently using?

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

VortacPhotos wrote:

I got the same issue with the “POP” configuration. No need for SSL or SMTP here. HTML5 problem? Humm... By Hotmail, we see all the HTML code mixed with words. But if i return and read the same message by the phone, everyting is ok.

Sometimes there is nothing written in the posts, while others are simply all wrong.

Are you saying that you are also having encoding issues like the OP, or that you cannot connect to your server?

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
amansour
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Du

I have the same issue and until now there are 3 threads about the same issue, means we are not creating this. All was working fine until the software update, some letters in outgoing emails from BlackBerry are replaced with "=" and it includes a long encoding string at the bottom of each email going from bb10, this needs to be solved asap
Please use plain text.