Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
Sarealex
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Z10 encoding issue in outgoing email

@ amansour : earlier on in the thread lesedwards posted the following - its not a solution but it's a temporary fix until BlackBerry solves the larger issue at hand. But lesedwards post should work for you in the meantime

Lesedwards 9:38 AM
I spent an hour with BlackBerry and we found away around it for now
Put your smtp to your cell phone providers smtp then when in the office shut off wifi to send then when your on the road it does not matter. Port 25
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

[ Edited ]

Sarealex wrote:
@ amansour : earlier on in the thread lesedwards posted the following - its not a solution but it's a temporary fix until BlackBerry solves the larger issue at hand. But lesedwards post should work for you in the meantime

Lesedwards 9:38 AM
I spent an hour with BlackBerry and we found away around it for now
Put your smtp to your cell phone providers smtp then when in the office shut off wifi to send then when your on the road it does not matter. Port 25

So to be clear, because I know that lesedwards was having connetion issues (he posted that in every other thread on this board...), are you all experiencing connection issues or HTML encoding issues as the title suggests?

Does using your mobile provider's SMTP server clear up the encoding issue?

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
amansour
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Du

Html encoding issue and it is very bad, this is my business mobile and I can't send emails to customers because it looks really bad
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sarealex

Was having html encoding issues that were horrible! Nothing that I could ever send to a customer or a friend for that matter. The change to smtp that lesedwards suggested worked for the encoding issue.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
amansour

How to change it? What to put it? It is already set to 25
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

amansour wrote:
How to change it? What to put it? It is already set to 25

@amansour - the suggestion is to use your carrier's SMTP server rather than your email hosts SMTP server. If you don't know their SMTP server name you will need to call and ask them for it.

@the others - Interesting that changing the SMTP server has cleared up the encoding issue, I wonder if you are all on the same brand of email server. Do you know what kind of server it is, that way Blackberry has something concrete to look into. :smileyhappy:

I am using IMAP without issues on my 4 company and email accounts, but they all reside on the same server (mine) and I haven't noticed any encoding / html issues... so it isn't happening for everyone, it would be great to get to the bottom of it. :smileyhappy:

Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

amansour wrote:
Drewread, why do you care? You asked us to contact our service provider, unless you have any info about this, stay away

@amansour - No offence intended, but lesedwards posted that he was having connetivity issues with his SMTP host into just about every message on this forum, nowhere did I ever read him actually say that he was having encoding issues.

So I simply assumed (incorrectly it would seem) that he had swayed the conversation in this thread that was not relating to connectivity issues with his SMTP host in to one that was. There were a number of people in this thread saying that they were having the encoding issues, and yes that is a very important issue to clear up, which is why I suggested that you call your carrier so that Blackberry is made aware of the issues and they can be resolved. :smileyhappy: They don't always read every message on this board, so the only way to be sure they know there is a widespread issue is to have lots of calls go into the Carrier/Blackberry support stream and for them to pull logs from the device so that I can be resolved. :smileywink:

That is why I care, I simply want to make sure that the OP's original issue is resolved, because it is a big one! :Surrender:

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
amansour

I am sorry man, this was meant to be addressed to someone else, no offense.
Anyway, it is a business email and smtp is company server, encryption is startTLS and port is 25.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

amansour wrote:
I am sorry man, this was meant to be addressed to someone else, no offense.
Anyway, it is a business email and smtp is company server, encryption is startTLS and port is 25.

No problem, the 'temporary solution' is to use your Carrier's SMTP (send mail) server to send the emails rather than your company's SMTP server that seems to be having the issue with the Z10.

This is why I am suggesting that you call your carrier and get escalated, it is a big issue and it needs to be resolved for you and everyone else that is having the issue. Your carrier should put you onto Blackberry support if they can't solve the issue for you (if they don't demand that they do connect you with a Blackberry support rep.) This way is can get resolved.

It could be an issue with a specific type or version of SMTP server, and without log files it probably will be very hard for them to track down. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
VortacPhotos
My Device: 9300, Z10

I changed the SMTP to Rogers infos and everything works now. Thank you for the tip! :-)
Please use plain text.