Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
lesedwards
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogefs

Re: Z10 encoding issue in outgoing email

Hi Drew it seems to be happening with pop accounts. What is happening  is the secure servers are fighting with each when mail is sent  out. For me it is Rogers my cellphone provider and shaw my Internet provider. BlackBerry says this is a big issue because they have to look at all the servers. Now as for this starting after we all did our OS update they have no idea. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
markent
My Carrier: Rogers

To Amansour and any others with this encoding problem: the reconfiguration of the email settings worked and I can now send emails again that are not embarrasing professionally. 

To recap (for the non-techie use Z10 user):

1. make sure Wifi setting is off;

2. go to Settings, then Accounts, then the offending e-mail account, and open settings for that account

3. go to the the 4th section of the page that starts with SMTP Username, and:

a) ensure that "SMTP Username" is blank;

b) ensure that "Update SMTP Password" is blank

c) at "SMTP Server Address," erase what is there and insert that of your service provider (for example, for Rogers, it would be smtp.rogerswirelessdata.com -- check with your own service provider to get it if you don't know)

d) at "SMTP Port," erase what is there and insert 25

e) at "SMTP Encryption,"  ensure that it shows "off";

4. save all of this, and voila!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Carrier: Rogers

lesedwards wrote:

Hi Drew it seems to be happening with pop accounts. What is happening  is the secure servers are fighting with each when mail is sent  out. For me it is Rogers my cellphone provider and shaw my Internet provider. BlackBerry says this is a big issue because they have to look at all the servers. Now as for this starting after we all did our OS update they have no idea. 

Hi lesedwards,

What do you mean by "they are fighting with each other", I'm just trying to understand what is happening for my own mental filing cabinet... :smileyhappy:

IIRC, you were having issues using Port 25 as it was blocked by Shaw, is that still the case with this, or is this something different?

Thanks for updating everyone, the more we know as a community, the more help we can offer each other!

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lesedwards

Hi Drew when you have your wifi enabled and you are connected by wifi and you have your smtp set to smtp.mydomain.com it has to use your provider but some how Rogers is interfering with it. So when you set your smtp to smtp.rogerswirelessdata.com and shut off your wifi it uses all Rogers and works perfect.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
amansour
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Du

ok, i did configure it the way you discribed lesedwards, i put the smtp of my service provider, which is du in dubai, but i can't send emails anymore, i can only receive.

your thoughts please

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lesedwards

Hi there you have to make sure you have your cell phone providers out going male server.  You must 

Insert it for example like this smtp.rogerswirelessdata.com then insert the port 25 then before you go to send an email you must shut off your wifi if you are connected. I hope this helps

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
amansour

My wifi was off even while changing the settings, I called my isp and asked them about their smtp and I set it up, but I couldn't send an email from the BlackBerry at all.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lesedwards

You must make sure server username is blank and server password is blank and also ssl is set to off.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
amansour

All was done same as you are describing, what about the mail server? It has to be my company's mail server right?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
OmniT
My Device: 9650

[ Edited ]

The issue is that many versions of Z10 firmware are mangling outgoing message headers.

The reason it prevents sending emails in many cases is because many email servers reject such messages as essentially mal-formatted junk.

The problem seems to be worse if you are using authentication, which is generally the case if you are sending emails using any email relay server not operated by your mobile carrier. 

Some people are reporting that turning off authentication allows them to send, but this A) will not fix other message garbling issues and B) this restricts you to using your mobile carrier's outgoing email server - assuming they provide that service. This is why you cannot use WiFi for outgoing emails in such a case - your mobile carrier's email server must be connected-to via the mobile network, not WiFi.

Blackberry is aware of this issue and is reportedly working on a fix for a future software update.

For more information, see the following:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Z10/SMTP-API-faulty-on-BB-Z10/m-p/2231991#M10389

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-z10-f254/heads-up-email-bug-recent-z10-os-versions-779341/

Please use plain text.