Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: 07773 777995

Z10 flip case flaw draining battery

Picked up a BlackBerry branded flip case for my Z10 today, fitted it to the device, and after a few hours I noticed that that my battery had drained dramatically.

After a bit of investigation, I think it is down to a flaw in the case. The cover of the case has magnet which wakes/sleeps the device as you open and close it. Pretty neat in principle, but the edge of the cover overhangs the edge of the phone, and when it is pushed up against something in your pocket or bag, it raises the centre spine of the cover away from the screen, which immediately causes the device to wake up (see video illustrating this here).

This happens pretty continuously if your phone is loose in your pocket or bag, so battery is constantly being drained by the screen.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a way around it?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Z10 flip case flaw draining battery

Your description makes sense. If the screen is being toggled on very often the battery will go down faster for sure.

I use a simple Gel Grip case. I set the phone to sleep or standby after 60 seconds. I have no battery issues with the phone. I found with the newest software update the battery management is improved.

Jerry G.
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Swisscom

[ Edited ]
I saw the overlapping case and decided to go with the leather case. According to your review of the flip case that seems to be the right decision...The flip case maybe good, if one does not carry the phone .... Completely new interpretation of "mobile phone" Anyway - can you return the case?
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: 07773 777995

I think you made the right decision to go with the leather case option. I'll be taking the flip one back today and hopefully they will let me do a swap. Or might just ask for a refund and get a simple gel case instead.

Cheers

Dale