Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
rudinarada
My Device: Bold 9000

Z10 heat issue and batt drain fast

I've Z10, after playing arround the back is so hot, also the batt drain so fast!

more over after plug to ac outlet, the batt level is decrease beside of increase? I conclude that z10 can't charge the battery!, any advise? THX

Forums Advisor I
Arsen
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb

Re: Z10 heat issue and batt drain fast

The z10 gets hot when you are playing games for a while. It is expected because the CPU is working overtime. Also for charging, you should use the supplied charger that came with it and along with the cable. Some old cables and old chargers don't work, they actually drain your battery. Some posts here talk about this.  The battery life gets a lot better after several discharges and re-charges. With the latest OS upgrade apparently increases the battery life quite a bit..  Here are some tips on the battery usage and also OS upgrade for battery life.

http://crackberry.com/ten-tips-and-tricks-extend-your-blackberry-z10-battery-life

http://crackberry.com/forums-battery-life-amazing-after-os-update

New Contributor
rudinarada

Thanks for quick response, I use the supplied chg+cable in the box, batt level let say at 30%, then i pluged it to the AC outlet so it should be moving to 31% or so....but in this case the batt level it going to 29%....? There is a flash blinking on the batt indicator as usual but i think this is a defected device and need for replacement...
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

[ Edited ]

There are a number of possible issues that I can immediately think of:

• The application you are using is using excessive processing power. Some third party apps are not very well written, have bugs, or are doing excessive operations. This is not uncommon, but this type of issue has been seen more often with gaming software than most others. Gaming software is usually more demanding on display and system processing.
  • There is an app running in the background that has gone in to a loop of some type and is causing an added power drain. The easiest and quickest fix to terminate this operation is to pull the battery for maybe ten seconds or a bit more and then re-insert it to restart the phone.
  • There is a defect somewhere in the phone's circuitry that is causing excessive current consumption, and thus draining the battery faster and causing heat. This is not a common type fault, but can happen.
  • The battery is defective and it in itself is causing internal heat and internal drain to itself. This could be from what is phrased as, "internal battery current leakage".  This is not common.

First try the battery pull. Use the phone as normal only using it with the apps that came with the phone. See if this fixes it. You will know after the first day. If this does not fix it, evaluate what extra software has been installed. As a test remove all the third party apps. If this does the fix, then put each one back one at a time to see if the problem returns. This way you will see which one is making the problem. 

If none if these suggestions work contact Blackberry support. They may have a suggestion of their own that will do the fix. They will probably want the logs from the phone. If they cannot fix it they will suggest a warranty fix or exchange. Depending where and under what policy the phone was bought will determine the process of how the warranty will be handled. 

We have a number of Playbooks and Blackberry phones. I cannot remember which software it was, but there was one that I put in to a tablet that was draining the battery very quickly. After removing that software and re-starting the tablet it was okay again. I also had a program I installed on a Bold that was stopping the Bridge program from working. I had to re-install the operating system to fix that one.

Many of these software programs are written by independent developers. They are supposed to be properly checked and evaluated. There is the possibility a bug can occur that will cause unexpected results. Because of the sophistication of the devices involved some types of bugs cannot be predicted until many users are using the software.

Jerry G.
New Contributor
rudinarada

Yes, thanks for info....in my case, i will ask for a replacement....as usual new product always have several defected product.
Contributor
vespesian
My Device: Z10

Make sure the micro usb is plugged into the phone correctly (i.e., all the way, straight). It can be quite tricky to connect.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

vespesian wrote:

Make sure the micro usb is plugged into the phone correctly (i.e., all the way, straight). It can be quite tricky to connect.

Are you saying the USB plug NOT being plugged in all the way or straight would cause battery drain or heating of the Z10?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

The USB connector carries two things. Power and Data. The Data is in a serial form and the power is a simple 5 Volts DC. From the computer it is 500 ma maximum, and from the charger the current source will be of whatever the the surce can supply in combination with what the phone charging management circuits will use. It is best to use the proper rated charger and cable for the phone.

Universal phone chargers are a compromise for their specifications. They have to be compromised in their design to accomidate many types of charging specs. Some of these universal chargers can actually damage the phone. The USB port on a computer is the safest if the original charger is not available. The computer USB port could take about 20% longer to charge the phone than the original charger. It will be of less stress on the phone's battery managment circuit because of the lower current, and it is still strong enough to properly saturate the chemical reaction of the battery for charging. The software drivers in the computer will allow for the proper communications and proper current regulation up to 500 ma to the phone.

I found it is even better to charge and backup the phone from an active USB hub (powered USB hub) rather than the computer USB  port itself. The hub uses its own power supply and it is not dependent on the power from the computer's mother board. It also adds isolation between the phone and the computer thus protecting the ports from each other in case of a defective cable.  It is a lot cheaper to end up with a damaged USB hub than a damaged USB port on the mother board, or a damaged phone port.

Jerry G.
razorsena

I just got my z10 yesterday...

charged it fully as per told by dealer since last night..

this morning...used the phone for 20 minutes n battery dropped to below 50%....

i have not installed any additional apps....basically i didnt use it much but battery is dying..

n yes it heats up even if i use it for texting, calls or FB for even 5 minutes.....

Forums Advisor III
drewread

May I suggest reading a bit of this epic thread rather than starting another one? :smileyhappy:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Z10/Battery-life/td-p/2146275
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy: