Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

bpceckhab
My Device: BB Z10

Z10 randomly powers down / restarts

Anyone else have this issue.  I've noticed it on probably 6-10 times in the past week and a half.  Phone appears to lock up / freeze, then powers down and reboots.  Has happened while sitting idle, while reading an article in the browser and while mid-type in a text message.  No pattern, doesn't seem to matter how full the battery is.  No clue what it is happening.

Thanks for any insights -- sorry if there is a thread on this already.  If so, please share the link.

Contributor
OmniT
My Device: 9650

Re: Z10 randomly powers down / restarts

Do you have any sideloaded Android apps?

That seems to be a common culprit.

Other factors that may have an impact based on some evidence I've seen:

Memory card/memory card encryption issues

Streaming media

Problematic websites (ie with Flash content)

Contributor
anzoro
My Device: BB Playbook, BB Torch 9800, BB Z10, iPhone5

Actually we are testing with 5 x BB Z10. 3 of 5 test users reported such kind of unexpected reboots. All uses BB OS 10.0.10.90 from Vodafone DE.

A few days ago I myself had to type in SIM PIN twice in 3 Minutes.

Certainly there are several apps installed, BB 10 native apps and android ports. But that shouldn't matter.

Which OS allows a silly app to crash the whole system? Especially QNX should be able to protect itself.

Otherwise I also saw iPhone 5 with iOS 6.1.3 crashing because of an app.

Contributor
anzoro

In addition my Z10 also crashes my SD Card. So I had to format my SD Card.

Unexpected reboots happend after that, too.

Contributor
OmniT

anzoro wrote:

In addition my Z10 also crashes my SD Card. So I had to format my SD Card.

Unexpected reboots happend after that, too.

I can't figure out what you mean by "crashes my SD Card". SD cards don't crash. :smileytongue:

Re: "Android ports" - I'm talking of "sideloaded" apps, not apps installed from Blackberry World which were originally Android applications, ported over to BB10.

Many people have noted that a lot of the ported Android apps are of low quality, but at least if they are offered on BW they have been vetted to some extent. Sideloaded apps could be anything, malware etc, there is no protection from Blackberry about what they comprise.

Contributor
anzoro

Agree, SD cards don't crash :smileyfrustrated:

But I'm wondering my Z10 wasn't able to read/write/use my 16 GB SD card switched from BB Torch 9800 until reformat.

We don't use sideloaded .bar apps.

Contributor
OmniT

anzoro wrote:

But I'm wondering my Z10 wasn't able to read/write/use my 16 GB SD card switched from BB Torch 9800 until reformat.

Well I have heard other people mentioning they had issues with certain memory cards before formatting them in the Z10. Perhaps the existing files on the card are confusing it, perhaps there were some bad blocks on the card that needed to be mapped-out with a format, I don't know.

Technically, you should only HAVE to re-format SDXC (64GB and larger) cards, since the early releases of Z10 firmware apparently don't understand the native ExFAT format on SDXC cards, it has to format them with FAT32 to work with them.

But I assume that issue will go away once ExFAT is built-in to the Z10 firmware. BBRY licensed ExFAT from Microsoft last August/September.

Contributor
markpaxman
My Device: blackberry z10

Mine does that too.  I never noticed until today, but every time it restarts my rotation lock turns off.  That's how I twigged on.  FYI I have no side loaded apps.  I've had other problems with this thing already.  I'm really not impressed.  I may take it back and try another phone.  Technolgy is a great thing, but not if it's unreliable.

Contributor
anzoro

Restarts still hapens with Vodafone DE OS Update 10.0.10.99.

New Contributor
arthurlyssenko
My Device: bold 9930

this has been happening to me also. wifi on nothing else on. this phone is an ATT model from the LA launch event that I received. no official response from Blackberry? please tell me they are working on a fix.....