Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
BBFunGuy
My Device: Z10/ Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Z10 unable to tether or hotspot without reboot

Hi. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this, and knew of a solution.

When trying to tether my Z10, or use the wi-fi hotspot, almost without fail, the app shows a connection, eats a couple of hundred kb, but the connected device has no internet connection. 

Rebooting the phone and trying again, it works perfectly. Rebooting before trying to connect also works ok.

This is inconvenient. I use the Z10 to connect to a Windows 8 installation, and also a PlayBook. The problem occurs when using either. Network is Vodafone UK.

Any relevant thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Z10 unable to tether or hotspot without reboot

Something is obviously wonky inside your phone.  I usually suggest rebooting, which appears to resolve most problems.  You've done that and it has worked but you shouldn't have to do that each time.

So on to my next most popular suggestion: reloading the OS to your phone.  Because you can connect occasionally suggests to me that your connection is good but doesn't want to pony up every time.  The OS reload should correct this issue.

It's really easy to do.  Plug your phone in to your PC and open BlackBerry Link.  Once your phone has been recognized, click your phone at the bottom of the software then click Restore.  If you've ever plugged your phone into Link before, you should have at least one backup there.  Choose the most recent one and load it to your phone.

Give that a try and post back with your results.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

did you try at several hotspots or just at home?
if just at home, you may want to try to restart your wifi router.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BBFunGuy

BillJ. Although the process did not rectify my issue, it has provided me with a backup. Thanks for the response.

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BBFunGuy

Xandrex. Thanks for replying.

You have slightly misunderstood my problem.

Internets > Z10 > PC,

is my issue;

internets > Wi-fi > Z10

c'est bien! :Clap:

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

check with your carrier if they allow you to do tethering or hotspot.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BBFunGuy

Thanks again Xandex, you are showing great tenacity, without understanding the issue.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BBFunGuy

Security wiped device, and updated to 10.1.0.2312. 

Situation remains, unable to connect without first rebooting Z10. 

Will contact carrier regarding issue.

Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ss1271
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Three

I'm also a Z10 user from UK (with Three UK's unlimited plan, totally allows me to do tethering).

I have experienced similar issues with my Z10's tethering. It looks like Z10, the device, is having a data cap or some sort of restriction that could automatically cut off the data connection in the midway.

What happened to me is the tethered internet and Z10's internet will go off randomly. Sometimes in the middle of my 10 mins YouTube video or even in the middle of normal webpage browsing. My data plan allows me to do tethering so there's no reason the carrier would turn off my internet.

Then I tried to put my Z10's sim card to a Nexus 4 to test if the problem was caused by the carrier and also to try if the internet would go off when do tethering. As my expected during a 10 hrs+ use which was the same pattern I usually do (YouTube + Web + some hundreds MBs of iPad app updates), and I can use the tether without any interruptions. Thus I believe the problem is caused by some updates in Z10.

May I ask if your problem is get resolved now?
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

i use wifi hotspot on my Q10 and have not had an issue much, once I was unable to get data but a quick reboot did solve it.

I will try to use it a bit more to see if it still does this.

Are you on LTE or 4g?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.