If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
DIDFOR
My Device: 9860 OS v7.1.0.714
My Carrier: orange

Z10 without BIS just a kind of pale iPhone copy

I'ma  faithful blackberry customer almost for decade now and I had in mind to switch from my 9860 to Z10. I purchased it from my carier, ORANGE and got it last monday. I had already changed from old to new blackberry several time and I was prapared to it with Z10, not that way!

After having trasfered data from my 9860 to Z10 and connecting it to network I was waiting for the BBY registration message and the Services directories, but I'll keep on waiting if the customer support hadn't told me (after having placed 15 calls and spent hours) "Z10 doesn't use BIS anymore" ... Thus NO MORE push mail, no more filters set up on BIS end, no more auto CCI when sending messages from the Z10, no more Blackberry email management success at all!

You just have to set up each and every email address teh way you did on other device email client:

Using GMAIL you should know if you connect to you Gmail account using any email client you should use the recent:myemail@mydomain.com to get new messages even they already had been downloaded by other client. NO WAY to set up a gmail email address in Z10 using ":" you get this message error "IMAP server is not available yet, try again latter" !!

If you try to connect to server using plain text authen. it doesn't work either.

I've sent back Z10 to my carrier: without BIS Z10 is just a new smartphone maybe not worst than i5 or S4 (I'm not a Apple oy Samsung addict) and certainely not better.

WHY don't you let your customers decide if they want to keep using BIS or straight connect using POP3 or IMAP?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Z10 without BIS just a kind of pale iPhone copy

It wasn't BlackBerry that made this decision, it was the carriers worldwide who asked for it.

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

DIDFOR wrote:

I'ma  faithful blackberry customer almost for decade now...

To add to the above...

While an answer is now moot for you (since you returned your Z10), nevertheless...it is a shame you didn't give it more time. Had you done so, you may have come across the "Advanced" email configuration screens, on which you can indeed select POP, IMAP, CalDAV, CardDAV, EAS, and several others. Using the wizard requires the server to provide back to the device the proper settings...using the Advanced settings allows the user control over how a specific account is configured to their Z10 (within the limits of what the server supports, of course).

As for PUSH...there certainly is that! But, of course, only for server environments that support it. But, to compare, even under BIS, PUSH was (for non-PUSH supporting email servers) only truly from the perspective of the BB...BIS was polling the server at a 15 minute interval, and then pushing to the device things that arrived on the server. BIS would shorten that interval whenever it found something, but during periods of inactivity, BIS was polling every 15 minutes...which is exactly what ActiveSync does for non-PUSH enabled servers. So it is relatively the same as before.

As for the message ("IMAP server is not yet available..."), that normally happens when you have not, inside of GMail itself, activated IMAP. The user has control over what is faced to email clients (POP, IMAP, or both)...at least for non-paid accounts, I am not sure if it's different for paid GMail accounts (e.g., your own domain, hosted within GMail)...but, I do know that paid accounts have support available from Google...but it would appear that you did not try that either.

As for BIS...that's gone for BB10, replaced by on-device ActiveSync. We can debate forever "why" they may have chosen to do so, but that debate is moot...for it is what it is.

Good luck with whatever other platform you decide upon!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DIDFOR

Sorry, I've just forgot to tell how many time I've spent on it ! Yes, I dig in advanced setting, yes I did try POP, and so one, one thing remains: I had purchased a Nexus4 just before the announcement Z10 will be live soon: I have sold my Nexus4  and purchased the Z10 just to get what the Nexus hadn't: BIS! I'm now back to my old 9680 connected to BIS service, up to the end ... Listen, this music..., remind me something like the one played by orchestra on Titanic

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh....so BIS itself was your "hard requirement". Well, then it's then a shame you weren't able to do your research before buying.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

DIDFOR wrote:

Sorry, I've just forgot to tell how many time I've spent on it ! Yes, I dig in advanced setting, yes I did try POP, and so one, one thing remains: I had purchased a Nexus4 just before the announcement Z10 will be live soon: I have sold my Nexus4  and purchased the Z10 just to get what the Nexus hadn't: BIS! I'm now back to my old 9680 connected to BIS service, up to the end ... Listen, this music..., remind me something like the one played by orchestra on Titanic

I am using IMAP and my servers support IMAP push, it is so fast that I actually get my emails on the device before the show up in Outlook.

No BIS is not the end of the world, it does mean a slightly different workflow, but now that I have learned how it works I appreciate the real time reconcilliation that it offers that BIS never did. :smileyhappy:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DIDFOR

Blackberry just works teh way ALL the others smartphoen do since they have been launched... Just remember me, have you ever read such explanation out the way BIS was just a kind of fake push mail system (Except from BBY competitors)? Then Z10 appear and the greatest change is just copying the way Apple, Samsung and other do ... for years, Great step forward!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I never said it was "fake"...I simply explained how it actually worked, so as to draw a comparison to the way the Z10 works, since they actually are quite similar (when you break it down behind the scenes). And this thread is by no means the first time such has been explained here in these forums...for it is simply truth, and need not be glossed over.

As to if any of it is "good" or "bad"...well that is a judgment for each individual to make for themselves, hopefully based on an honest evaluation of the actual facts.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DIDFOR

I'm sorry, my comments about the Z10 illustrate my frustration, identical to that of a lover betrayed by his girlfriend! APPLE, I resisted, not once, not twice, not three times, not four times but i5 time!

I brought home the new Google Nexus 4 and I kicked it out!

And why all this?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Two reasons I can think of:

1) Change is the hardest thing for humans to deal with. We become accustomed to "things", including how they work, and desire for them to remain that way. When that changes, we resist and are very uncomfortable...indeed we feel very inefficient, which just feels wrong. But, in time, we adapt and become efficient again, for we also are very good at adapting -- but it takes time.

2) Change is the only constant in the universe

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.