Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
geever
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Z10 wont charge when plugged in initially

Hello, I am having problems charging my Z10. When I plug it in to charge initially the lightning bolt does not show up and it does not begin charging. Even after waiting 5 minutes. The only way to get it to charge is to unplug it and then replug it in again. Has anyone been experiencing this problem? Is my phone defective? I am worried because it is new and if there is a problem I would like to have it taken care of before I cant get it replaced...

I am using the blackberry USB cable and charger. I have also tried other USB cables but it has not remedied the situation.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
-BD-
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Z10 wont charge when plugged in initially

It's not an issue with your charger.  This can happen when the wall charger is plugged slowly into the phone.   It currently causes the charger to be detected wrong.

KB33636

Please use plain text.
Contributor
geever

Thanks for the quick reply. I usually plug it in quickly and this still happens. Would this be a hardware issue? Or can it be software. I would hate to lose my return Window to just swap it with another one (if it is a hardware issue) 

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Well, the KB linked does say this issue is being investigated which would lead me to believe the issue us not work designed as such, and up for fixing.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hugh_G_Rection
My Carrier: Phone Company

Same with mine. It went dead overnight, so I plugged it in this morning. Every half hour or so, it wakes up, chimes, then powers down. This has been going on for over seven hours now, and the device is still useless. I have tried a couple of cables, yes - inserted them quickly - that work on my 9900 so I know they are OK.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
geever

I have tried plugging in my charger even faster and it seems to catch it on the first try now. Thanks for the tip -BD-

Please use plain text.
Developer
raffi
My Device: Z10 & Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Same with mine. It went dead overnight, so I plugged it in this morning. Every half hour or so, it wakes up, chimes, then powers down. This has been going on for over seven hours now, and the device is still useless. I have tried a couple of cables, yes - inserted them quickly - that work on my 9900 so I know they are OK.

Seems like your problem is slightly different to the one specified in the KB article. The KB article is about getting the charging started, but your issue is that it starts, but doesn't stay charging until completion and it goes in and out of the charging state.

Any word from BlackBerry about this separate issue? I believe I might be having the same problem.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

None of which I'm aware except to leave it charging while simultaneously and wnile still connected, remove and replace the battery.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jimmyz10
My Carrier: Vodafone uk

I have the same problem, come on BB we should not have a "speed of plug insertion" specification to adhere to in order for a charger to work. Please fix the software or replace the faulty component.
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Jimmyz10 wrote:
I have the same problem, come on BB we should not have a "speed of plug insertion" specification to adhere to in order for a charger to work. Please fix the software or replace the faulty component.

Agreed.

Are you using the supplied charger?

If not, please know that all USB chrarger are not powered enough to charge the z10.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.