Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

My Device: bb10
My Carrier: rogers

can't sned/receive pictures through text messages

Ever since doing the latest software update on my BB10 (10.1.0.4181) I can no longer send nor receive pictures through texts.
Each time I attach and send a picture in a text message, it gives the red X and message "General Problems" in red font. Also when a picture is sent to me via text, there is a message, "You have a message awaiting retrieval. Click the button below to download it."......it then has a Download Now button right below that message.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Starting to get a little frustrated.
Thanks!
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: can't sned/receive pictures through text messages

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

With a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (step 1 should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive

2) Reboot

• Pre-BB10 Devices ONLY. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • BB10 Devices. Hold the top button down until the counter reaches zero. Wait for the device to be fully shut down (e.g., nothing at all displayed on the screen, no LED lights, etc.). Hold the top button until the red LED is lit. Wait through the full boot-up process. IF this fails, you can attempt the battery-pull method above, but it is normally NOT recommended unless nothing else works.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I'm having the same problem. So I called my provider, we tried different things for 30 minutes but nothing changed. He told me to call Blackberry but everytime I call they say their business hours are closed and when I choose Customer Care, the subjects mentionned doesn't talk about needing assistance for customer service. Is there someone who can help me with either my problem or with the Blackberry Customer Care for assistance.

Hall of Famer II

felix13 wrote:

I'm having the same problem. So I called my provider, we tried different things for 30 minutes but nothing changed. He told me to call Blackberry but everytime I call they say their business hours are closed and when I choose Customer Care, the subjects mentionned doesn't talk about needing assistance for customer service. Is there someone who can help me with either my problem or with the Blackberry Customer Care for assistance.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please see this "sticky" post, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed:

Hopefully, this information will be of use to you.

Cheers, and Good Luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
My Carrier: Rogers

I am having the same issue and it only started after the last OS update, before that I could send and receive pictures no problem, turning the phone off or even pulling the battery doesn't work, I think there was something buggy in the update and no one knows how to fix the issue
Hall of Famer II

Dart13 wrote:
I am having the same issue and it only started after the last OS update, before that I could send and receive pictures no problem, turning the phone off or even pulling the battery doesn't work, I think there was something buggy in the update and no one knows how to fix the issue

If what you suspect is correct, then your proper course of action is escalation via your carrier, so that they and BlackBerry can be officially notified and perhaps then be able to investigate.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I have my Z10 with Fido, went to the store and he told me my advanced settings were wrong so changed it. Still didn't worked and wasn't even able to send a text cause of the mistake the guy from Fido did. Did the changes myself and saw that for my Proxy URL was missing :80 at the end of it. Since then, it  works perfectly. So I would say:

- check that your Service Center Address has a + in front of the number and that the number is correct

- make sure that you have the correct APN and MMSC URL

- and make sure that you have :80 at the end of the Proxy URL

- Proxy Username and Password are blank. 

Hope it helps you guys cause it's been a pain in the a** since I wasn't able to send or receive picture.

Visitor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

I have my Z10 with Telus. I too am having difficulties receiving photo texts since installing the latest os update. I seem to be able to send photos with no problem. I have checked my APN and MMSC settings and they appear to be correct according to the settings listed on the Telus Mobility website. Does anyone have any other thoughts or solutions I could try.

My Device: q10
My Carrier: tmob

this is good info as i am also having this issue. when you say wait for a message before continuing, i didnt get a message but a pop up saying registration complete is this what i should wait for? i rebooted and its still not working, my carrier say its not a problem their end either, arghhhhhh

Hall of Famer II

Mrs_airwolfhound wrote:

this is good info as i am also having this issue. when you say wait for a message before continuing, i didnt get a message but a pop up saying registration complete is this what i should wait for? i rebooted and its still not working, my carrier say its not a problem their end either, arghhhhhh

Hello,

I'm going to assume your question is directed at me? Difficult to be certain given the threading of the conversation here...

In any event, yes that popup is what to wait for, so it sounds like you did the steps correctly. However, your carrier has done you a bit of disservice...all service-related issues are theirs to resolve for you, and MMS is a service-related issue. It could get dicey, however, depending on where you purchased your device from...if it was also from your carrier, then they are 100% responsible for ALL of your formal support, whether it be service or device related, and have the sole formal channel available to you for getting your case escalated to BB if such is required. But, if you bought the device elsewhere, then there can be some "finger pointing" between entities as you carrier is then responsible only for service-related issues while "others" are responsible for your support on device-related issues, and clearly defining which it is can be a bit tricky (with many of the reps quickly defaulting to "the other guy" whenever such a conflict of support exists, without actually digging deeply).

My recommendation is to ring up your carrier again, but try to cajole them into digging very deeply into your situation and actually helping you to resolve it. In most all cases, MMS issues are a carrier issue, not a device one.

One more thought...is your device now, or ever was, on BES? If so, then indeed your BES admins could be restricting this functionality. You can check for a latent IT Policy via this:

• Article ID: KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

If you are not on BES and there is an IT Policy, then you will want to remove that so as to rule that in/out as causal to your situation...refer:

• Article ID: KB35505 BlackBerry Balance

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates