Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
Ktokkie
My Device: Blackberry 9810
Accepted Solution

data cost

How do you turn data cost off on BlackBerry Z10

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
RobGambino
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: data cost

go to "settings" then click on "Mobile Networks" then you see the options to turn "data services" off there!

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,953
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Ktokkie wrote:

How do you turn data cost off on BlackBerry Z10

Data cost?

What is this "data cost"?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pdnirc
My Device: blacberry torch

No way to turn off.  I have spent about 10 hours on the phone with the technical department of my operator.  Finally yesterday I talked to one that confirmed to me that this is a flow in the Z10 and many people have been tricked in buying the Z10 and now are going back to their previous model because no way to turn off the data.  the operator told me that the raivse the issue to BB and so far no answer and still no forecast as far as when the problem will be solved.  If you have to travel with your BB use the old one.  I am still in litigation with my operator that runned me a bill of $300 in data roaming even though I never used any data besides my regular email.  How BB could be so stupid or maybe they have some kind of hidden interest.  I am waiting for someone to start a class action and maybe I will get back my money for the bill and for the phone.  Hopefully I still have my old torch otherwise my business would have collapse too.  When BB will take care of the issue?????

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ktokkie
My Device: Blackberry 9810

I did wat the other guys said and it was write setting mobile network data roaming.....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pdnirc

yes you can turn off data roaming, and then what?  you do not get your mail so what is the purpose of having a BB without mail and then when turning the data back on the data charges start to run again?  I talked to one operator and they told me that many customers have run into the same issue and they addressed it to BB, but so far no answer.  Yes if I turn off of the phone I am not charged but why the Z10 behave differently than the previous model.  In this case I just need to use my iphone and no need to pay $20 BB plus $20 BB international, and find charges over $150 on data roaming without using any??  I am still waiting for the BB eople to answer but no one so far has even dare answering me except saying that it is the responsibility of the operator.  I turned off all apps one by one even the BM.  My BB is my business now it is a burden.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

pdnirc wrote:

I am still waiting for the BB eople to answer but no one so far has even dare answering me except saying that it is the responsibility of the operator. 

To answser what? What is your question?

Who have you asked this question that they are not answering?

This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. You would have noticed this in the message upon registration.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
RobGambino
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

You can turn off your data services & your roaming has well! This has to be feature on the phone

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pdnirc

I guess I was not understood well so here is the problem with the Z10 and data cost.  By the way I use BB more than 10 years and enjoyed it very much.  I switch from my Torch to the new Z10 and I started to be charged for data.  I never use data since I use my unit only for my mail and as telephone. So I sent an email to BB that sent me to my operator.  I discussed the problem with them and went to all apps and so on and turned evrything off, but then i did not get my mail.  So I call them back and again we went back to all settings off and turned on data roaming again without anything running besides my mailboxes, and again I started to receive data charges.  I have been with the techs of my operator half a dozen times.  In the past 3 weeks I switched back to my torch and here all is normal, I get my mail and no data charges.  I called again my operator, and this how I learned that actually the Z10 has a flow for the BB system that considers BB data to be regular data not BB data.  so no matter if you have the BB plan you will be charged for data from the operator.  The latest news is that many customers sarted to complani about this specific problem and the operator went to BB and they are ( maybe ) working on this issue.  My point is very simple be aware that the Z10 today does not work like a BB but like any other smartphone.  Now if you are not planning to travel with it and you have unlimited plan locally use it.  for any other situation the Z10 is a burden since it does not operate as a BB.  Now if someone has a solution please inform me.  So far I am carrying 2 BB a torch and a Z10, I use the Z10 when home and the torch when traveling, I think it is ridiculous to have a $500 phone that I use 30% of the time?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

pdnirc wrote:

I never use data since I use my unit only for my mail and as telephone.

Stop there. Email is data. So, you do use data.

Turn off data = no email, as you found out.

pdnirc wrote:

In the past 3 weeks I switched back to my torch and here all is normal, I get my mail and no data charges.

Yes, on your Torch, you are paying for the BlackBerry Data Plan. The Torch will not do email with that specific data plan. So, yes you are using data on your Torch. No question about it.

Both devices use data. You may not think they do, but both do use data.

The Z10 uses more data than the Torch, since all data on the Torch is the traditional BIS compressed data (roughly about 25% of the data than that of the Z10).

So, what solution are you looking for? What is your specific question?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.